Need Help Removing Legacy Authenticator from Account

Because Blizzard needs proof that the person requesting account access is the registered user of the account. This is not the only way to prove it, but one of the ways Blizzard will accept.

4 Likes

There is a form of questions one can answer when trying to provide proof of ownership, transactions is only one of the questions in that form, I am not sure what the rest are.

3 Likes

Only talking 4 years at the max and most banks will give little trouble providing this information. You just have to go ask, Possibly at your local bank branch.

So, I know the person that posted this… I appreciate your response… but I can honestly say I’ve watched him do this already and its not helpful.
Its an infinite loop of responding with answers in a new ticket with the last ticket number attached as he was asked to do by support… And Supports answer… is to then ask the same questions again and again instruct him to attach the answers to a new ticket with the last ticket attached.

And regardless some of the questions are just impossible for him to answer.

For example, his account is old… he doesn’t have his game key from when we were in highschool… over a decade ago.

But he’s had the same phone number attached to the account for a very long time. And that’s why he was hoping they could use that established information to send him a code. But he only gets responses like this… ‘please answer these unanswerable questions, and we will proceed to ignore the answers you try to provide’

Blizzard stated that they would remove unmigrated authenticators (the old app) after the January 5th deadline… so I think his expectation that they would… remove the authenticator after January 5th is pretty reasonable.

He still has the same email, he still has the same phone number… the only thing he doesn’t have is the depricated authenticator app which is supposed to no longer be valid or attached to the account anyway… it doesn’t make sense that there should be Any hoops to jump through.

I can’t speak for what their procedures are, but to me, this would seem that the answers may not be lining up.

Exaggeration aside, if he cannot answer the questions, then there’s really nothing Blizzard can do. These policies are in place to prevent unauthorized access to an account. Using information that’s rather easy to social engineer, or information that’s likely publicly available, is not keeping the account secure.

3 Likes

Again as I stated above. The mitigation was for the standalone Authenticator APP. Not the old keyfobs. Absolutely nothing changed with them save for the same warnings that have gone out for several years that to keep them on when they were past the recommended battery life was a risk.

And while it can be appreciated that you want to assist your friend, they won’t deal with you or you vouching for him. Blizzard has their protocols they have to follow. What they ask for is far from unanswerable. I say that with my original boxes sitting a room away, where they sit on a shelf.

The GMs have to follow the rules laid out for them so that accounts are protected. Period.

Source

3 Likes

again… the authenticator is supposed to be removed by now… (its not the key fob) …he can use his phone, he can use his email… he still has the same state issue id information… why cant they use any of those things?

Is knowing what hearthstone pack you last opened (when you’ve never played hearthstone) more valid than an id? or a email? or a current phone number?

So, what is the point of a Customer Support forum if the customer support is a just a bunch of strangers?

Blue posts on the matter.

2 Likes

this is for the app… not a keyfob.

He Does Not have a Physical Key Fob

You agree with me.

I’ve bold the part from the welcome sticky.

The forums isn’t a bypass to the ticket system, much less for something related to this. The blues here have no power over this kind of thing.

4 Likes

It’s to help point people in the right direction and is moderated by our amazing Blue posters, who are indeed Blizzard employees.

Your friend needs to answer as many of the questions as they possibly can. It may be possible for them to use ID, but there are many privacy laws now related to the handling of ID, and as such, they prefer not to go that route anymore.

5 Likes

To back up even further… WAS your friend the Original creator of this account, or was it acquired via other means? If the answer is the latter (I’m not saying it is…), then there is really likely nothing more that can be done. Just getting that out of the way so this doesn’t rabbit hole and pop back up later.

you’re right it shouldnt be… but he didn’t start here…
the problem is… that customer support ‘resolving’ a ticket by telling a person to open another ticket, repeatedly, is not a resolution.

I can give them the debit card # that’s been used on the account for the last decade but it’s not an option. Instead they put “WoW: last purchases made with gold:” which seems pointless if the accounts been inactive for 3 years.

1 Like

Nothing along the lines of the following were asked either?

The first reply was about the mobile app, but you never mentioned if you did not have access to the original phone or could get a text via the sms system. I hope you mean app and not physical.

This forum though does not bypass the normal ticket system, it is a discussion forum only.

5 Likes

They have but the response received is that the information provided wasn’t enough. I can provide other information that can verify my identity but how do I get in contact with someone that’s not responding from a noreply email?

hes gone through this… hes answered… he does not know why they dont like his answers… his account is very old… and he last played on it years ago…

this is a waste of time… your old hunter is dead man… i tried, lol rip

You open a new ticket if the original ticket cannot be reopened. Reference the previous ticket’s number in the new ticket to show that it’s an ongoing thing. Unfortunately live chat is down and has been since a recent surge in tickets flooding the system. Tickets are the only way you’re communicating with the GMs who handle all of this.

All you’re doing is getting irritated with people and wanting to bicker about a process that you have no place in. It’s between your friend and Blizzard. The folks here responding are doing their utmost to try and help explain things and get them going in the right direction.

4 Likes

I usually suggest that you use a new e-mail address, create a new battle.net account and submit tickets via that account. That way you can update, track and re-open tickets.

As the new account will also be in your name, they should be able to assist. You just have to make it crystal clear (include past ticket numbers), that you’re referring to the older account.

That’s what I tend to recommend when trying to recover access to an account that you no longer have access to.

7 Likes