Need Help In Search For A Laptop

Idk this is a world of warcraft gaming forum. It’s easy for people to assume you’re gaming.

Try using the 100s of other tech support websites or reddit.

Don’t get salty when people don’t answer your questions correctly. No one is digging that deep into your problems with a PC.

Lots of people that play WoW build gaming PCs and understand parts, I have posted on 10 other reddit threads not a single response, I know WoW is active and I have met tons of WoW PC geeks/nerds (Not in a bad way) so I tried here and it has worked.

I am just complaining in above post about people like yourself that respond without reading… Don’t respond lol

1. Get a refurbished Thinkpad
  2. Install Gentoo Linux
  3. Mad h4xx0rz

That’s kinda subjective, as what I may feel is reasonable, someone else could be “whoah!”

e.g. for $599, this seems decent: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-5510-laptop/nn5510esjes

“Trying to save money” didn’t put a specific price so yes me trying to save money might be spending 8k on a laptop :confused: I might have that kind of money or me trying to save money is 300, I just want to know what parts CPU, GPU and Ram wise would be needed to run what they need it for…

If you have brand-new laptops that are getting “super slow” after a few months, then you have to question what kind of junk they are installing. Are they installing “freeware” that’s letting malware and bloatware through? Are they using a proper antivirus and anti-malware, are they browsing with ad-blockers, etc.?

You don’t need a top-of-the-line GPU (or even a middle-of-the-line GPU) if you are not gaming or doing any other graphics-intensive tasks. Onboard graphics are probably fine, or whatever comes in a standard business laptop.

Now, I wouldn’t go with less that 16GB of RAM just because even the simplest software these days is getting more and more memory-hungry. But does it matter if they have an AMD or an Intel CPU? Or the brand of the motherboard? Or the GPU chipset? Absolutely not.

Thank you,

And everything pre installed I remove everything that I know they dont need plus install what is needed to keep it running security wise.

So if you see these stats then-

• Intel Core i5-1135G7
  • Windows 11 Home
  • 13.4" 60Hz Full HD
  • Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
  • 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

would this cover what they need it for or is it not enough or way too much. If anyone can answer that then I know what to LF

LOL, Linux is for people who just want to show off that they can use Linux, it is pointless otherwise.

As for OPs question: Does screen size matter to you? If unsure, head to best buy or walmart and look around, if you are on a laptop a lot, that 17 inch might be worth paying more for instead of getting the 13 or 15.

Easily upgradable? My current laptop is an I7 from walmart, if I want to add an HD or ram, motherboard has to come out. I was so impressed by how thin it was, I never thought about ease of upgrade.

Not for gaming? You say that now, but if you ever end up at a hotel or friends house, its nice if it will at least play WoW, even at lower settings (mine plays at graphics setting 4, not too bad I guess since it has no dedicated graphics card)

SSD? HD size? Remember the first stimulus check? That’s when I bought my laptop and it was my first SSD. I’m never going back, and now prices are lower for one with SSD then when I got mine.

And here’s one I didn’t even think about and wish I had- Lighted keyboard? If you are a master typist, you wont need, but if you “hunt and peck” like me, its handy if you use the laptop in bed or other dark places.

Numerical keypad? Just like on a full size PC keyboard, but on many laptops with smaller screen size, you must access numbers in a row above the letter keys.

USB C port? I had no idea how handy it would become, and I didn’t even care at the time. Now days it might be hard to find a new laptop without it. (I hope so anyway)

Ok enough for now, I’m close to wining a TLDR award…

1 Like

I think this should cover what they need, based on what you described. These are very decent specs.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses I am pretty much good to go now,

only question is that intel Iris Xe lets say it is the latest one 2021 GPU model how does that compare to a 2060 Geforce or lets say even the 1660 geforce?

If not as good which is what I assume is the case is it super bad? Or just average…

In your case, a laptop is not usually a long-term investment. I would recommend the i7 for performance that will be current for years, but that will certainly outlast the laptop’s battery life. After about 3 years, you’ll need to buy a new battery or always keep your laptop plugged in… I would consider how long you want this laptop to last and buy i5 for <5 years or i7 if you want more life.

Laptop GPUs can be extremely important. Much like the laptop CPU, you cannot change this like you can with a desktop. Even a dedicated GPU is soldered into the motherboard directly, as is the CPU. I have an amazing laptop I used to game on (not why I bought it). It became obsolete for gaming due to low powered dedicated graphics (GT 630m). However, if you don’t intend to game, any dedicated graphics is better than CPU integrated graphics. Even just web-browsing, your GPU is working to load graphics and video, so it may be worth if in your budget.

RAM, 8gb is probably fine. This is the easiest to upgrade to later. 16gb is probably more than you’ll ever need, any more is overkill and you likely don’t need it. Lots of people say RAM makes your PC faster…but only if you’re maxing out your current.

Storage is one of the more overlooked options for upgraded performance. Even on a 15 year old junk gaming rig, exchanging a traditional SATA HDD for a SATA SSD will give you a noticeable improvement in performance. You’re looking for the best read/write rates. Best is if your board supports and M.2 SSD, otherwise get SATA SSD. These are pretty cheap nowadays. Best practice for a budget, get a smaller capacity SSD for your system drive and applications, use a large capacity, traditional HDD or external drive for file storage.
__
Personally, I save money by buying near top end and make it last for 10+ years…or buying old tech and rebuilding something to it’s peak glory. For example, I currently game on an HP xw8400 released in 2006 (I didn’t buy for gaming). CPUs and RAM were dirt cheap, nearly maxed w/ 2x - Xeon 5160 dual-core @ 3.00ghz (cost $6.00 on Ebay) and 32gb RAM for ~$40. Altogether build was ~$400. I used this for over 5 years to run numerical models and now game. Admittedly though, I am due for an upgrade but most games I want to play run fine.

–www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Intel+Iris+Xe&id=4265–

–www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+1660&id=4062–

Iris = 2859
1660 = 11630

So the 1660 is about 5x better…but you’re looking at apples and bananas comparing a mobile GPU to a desktop GPU…

One of the best responses yet thank you,

Also thanks everyone who has responded :smiley: I think I am good to go now.

I know what I am in search for and will grab some sort of GPU as for that Iris, is it good for that tier of GPU? Since this laptop will not need anything high end or is there something better at that tier/price range?

Thanks everyone again! this has helped a ton.

I can’t imagine paying $1600 for a laptop that doesn’t have an AMD or Nvidia GPU.

2 Likes

Iris is another name for Intel’s cpu integrated graphics and should be good for non gaming stuff. Not as powerful as dedicated GPU but gives better battery life.

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro it is a gaming laptop yes but its also quality parts. I know you said you didnt need a gaming laptop but all the quality builds are gaming builds pretty much. The 5 pro will easily last. The best part about the legion 5 is the warranty. If anything goes wrong they send a tech to your house to fix it. Its pretty nice for someone who doesnt have the skills to self repair.

Its quality parts at a decent price.

Bigger companies get ‘free’ money to buy out smaller companies and they consolidated a long time ago. It’s easier to make games for 3 vendors than like 20 though.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-5500u-16gb-memory-256gb-ssd/6475114.p?skuId=6475114

$830 for 16GB RAM, 6 cores and lower power usage. Good as media laptop and will work wonders for web design and docker.

im running win 10 and 11 on pc’s with 4GB of ram.

Shadowlands need min of 4GB of RAM with a dGPU. IMO 16GB should be min for a new system.

I would get that laptop you linked as it looks great. Even though you won’t be using it for gaming the 3060 is alot better then using integrated graphics.

16gb ram would be the min of look for along with the fastest CPU you can get along with a good video card like a 1660 or higher just so they last longer. Storage as well at 500gig+ SSD/nvme but going higher usually costs alot more.

You mentioned your old laptops getting slow, have you tried reformatting the drives and reinstalling Windows? There’s guides online on how to do it which is fairly easy if you got the time and could help refresh it back up to speed.

If they don’t use a SSD then that would help as well and more memory of under 8gigs. Oh also have you tried blowing out the vents for dust? If those fail then you could try reapplying the thermal paste if possible.

1 Like