Necromancer as a spec to Warlocks?

Do you guys think the spec necromancer should be given to warlocks? With undead pets as a variant to their usual-demon ones?

I mean, it might prove difficult to ram more than one spec into a whole Necromancy class.

Lets also consider the variables:
— Necromancy was also used by Gul’Dan to create the first Death Knights.
— Ner’Zhul was a Shaman who became a Warlock then a Necrotic one at that before ultimately becoming the Lich King.
— In Legion, there were even warlocks that were practicing in undeath magic through their connections to the nether and/or void.

Additional Note: Lets also not go off-topic with other subjects (Like Tinkers, or High Elves or ‘give worgen tails’) – They already have threads.

What do you guys think, and how would you think it should be introduced?
— Through a questline, for it to be epically introduced? Such as seizing an almighty power of undeath the mightiest warlocks of old have harnessed, that actually transcends pass the Shadowlands — to realms beyond, that liches tap into?

— Finding a way to raise up friends or ‘resurrect’ through dark magics only for things to go terribly wrong - yet so fantastically right, in another view of light?

Feel free to post your thoughts, ideas and more. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Death Knights are the original necros, or I should say necros were the original DKs.

If anyone gets a necro spec, it should be a fourth for us. Ranged DPS.

(p.s. I know the og DKs were like… warlocks forced into paladin bodies or something like that but once that happened to them, they became something else. Plus we already use necrotic magic where Warlocks still use fel.)

9 Likes

What about a Tinker class exclusive to HE/Worgen hybrids with tai…

Damn. Nevermind.

8 Likes

Well no, warlocks were the original necros - that’s kind of how the original DKs were made in the first place. lol

— But I mean, I don’t see why they both can’t have necro-themed abilities.
Priests and Paladins share holy themed abilities, much like how Frost Death Knight & Frost Mage share the frozen goods ~ :grin:

On that note however though, If Warlocks did get a Necromancy spec - it’d be wicked cool if there was a symbiotic support ability that can be cast on Death Knights only to empower them.

1 Like

:thinking:

1 Like

Yeah but warlocks didn’t use fel when they created the original Death Knights.

That was kind of the whole point of creating them – The new warchief didn’t want fel anymore, so Gul’dan required a new means of power: Shadow & Necrotic magics, were the answer to that

As a Warlock I think it’d be cool. But! They’re different schools of magic, and don’t have a lot to do with each other, save for the manipulation of a soul and all that jazz. So, technically it could work, but it’d be better off as its own thing.

I never said they did. I said the og DKs were warlocks stuffed into dead paladin bodies. Then I also said warlocks are using fel now and DKs are using necrotic magic now.

You repeated back to me something I already said and I didn’t understand why.

p.s. Guldan created DKs beacuse his warlocks were dead and his warchief needed new troops. Doesn’t go much further than that.

1 Like

Already been done as a class skin concept.

2 Likes

They’re not going to give Necro cuz we already have 4 emo edgy classes

Class Skins seem like a lot of design/art effort for little pay-off. Yeah, that’s cool and all, but would “Dress your Warlock like a Necromancer” actually sell boxes of the game?

I came back to WoW after skipping BFA specifically because Covenants were actually a gameplay feature I thought sounded really cool, mixing up the classes after they had grown stagnant.

If Blizzard is going to go that extra mile for multiple class-specific alternate advanced classes… why not actually do that as a big shiny gameplay feature? How about instead of LARP’ing as a Necromancer or Blademaster… we can actually play as those characters?

1 Like

I don’t see Necromancers as a spec for Warlocks, but I would be more than happy to see Necromancers as a class skin for Warlocks. It’d be the exact same DPS, just with death related skills and undead pets as opposed to a demon theme.

I think that’d be easier than trying to make a new spec or class, much as I’d love Necromancers as a full class. Just my personal opinion, of course. :skull:

Like others in this thread, I would like to see Necromancers as a class skin for Warlocks. Think of how fun Demonology would be, and all the different undead models Blizz has used over the years at your disposal!

If this became a reality, I might actually level a Warlock past level 50.

1 Like

This again? How about NO.

Yeah, that’s why we have DEATH KNIGHTS. Duh.

Tinkers have a MUCH better chance of being a class (and not just a spec) with all three points of the trinity being represented.

I think we have Death Knights, which Blizzard has said before ARE your Necromancers, and it should not be introduced at all.

At best, they could give you some new stuff under Unholy (and I swear there are some glyphs that cover some of this) and be done with this subject FOREVER.

1 Like

I remember hearing a rumor for Shadowlands, that each spec for each class was going to get cosmetic customizations, and that one of them was Necromancer spells for Warlocks. I was so disappointed when I realized they got it wrong. :sob:

what the f-

1 Like

I think Warlocks can easily cannibalize the caster necromancer identity with new abilities/talents that show them being willing to dabble in necromancy for more power. Affliction can get diseases and soul manipulation, demonology could get undead summoning as an alternative/support for their demon summoning.

(Destruction I kind of draw a blank on. If anything, destruction doesn’t really need necromancy and should focus any bonus to its identity on a combination of void magic and dark shamanism.)

However, an entire necromancer spec for warlocks, I think, is completely redundant though.

Maybe it operates like shadow form for shadow priests, but as demonology.

Take on the acolyte form and have 5 dedicated melee minions and 2 ranged ones. Or 3 and 1. Function like a tank spec.

:ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon:

It would. I mean, their SL expansion feature was “Play as an AR death knight for pre ordering!”

Class skins would be pretty sweet. This is bigger glyph versions, and I think many people liked glyphs.

If Warlocks design is already around summoning demons then why not have Blizzard make a better system like having demon training that is similar to a hunter? Classes should have more diversity in specs like DK’s should have a range spec for necromancer and Shaman’s should have a tank spec.

1 Like