Necrolord or Venthyr?

Bonespike is looking good for all aspects

Venthyr will likely become BiS when the associated conduit hits max level (assuming all things remain the same which they won’t).

1 Like

aAlways look to the past for example of what is to come, and that’s not looking so hot for SL

1 Like

Depending on their numbers tuning, and if/when players are able to wear more than one Legendary, Night Fae might actually be pretty good combined with the 100% crit Legendary.

That being said, Venthyr is actually decent on Assassination if Blindside is picked, but I find it rather awkward on Sub and almost totally useless on Outlaw. Bonespike on the other hand feels very good to play on all 3 specs and does great damage and is looking to be the best choice overall unless severe changes come our way.

Now another thing is, the Necrolord class ability is great, but almost everything else is terrible compared to other covenants. The soulbinds are the worst of all 4 covenants by a significant margin and the third potency conduit is only really achievable by around the 9th week compared to Kyrian and Venthyr that get theirs by the 5th week, which is a very big disadvantage considering Mythic progression. Also Fleshcraft is very awkward to use and I consider it to be the weakest of all 4 covenant signature abilities.

3 Likes

I’m going either Venthyr or Night Fae just because there’s no way Bone Spike doesn’t get nerfed and I don’t like necrolord soulbinds, aesthetics, or zone.

Venthyr is a plus for it’s
Transmog
Zone
Soulbinds
and Slaughter seems very good for Sin once at rank 15 conduit. Not tooo bad for Sub, and I never play Outlaw so that’s no problem.

NightFae has pluses for
the zone
Sepsis + still being able to use wound poison.

I dislike their mog for rogue tremendously, and their soulbinds are very mediocre. Sepsis is a good ability and another vanish is great for Sin and Sub. Bonus points for Sepsis being smoother to use than Slaughter for Sub (likely the best spec overall) and scaling with Mastery for Sin.

Tough call for sure and it’s highly dependent on being correct Bone Spike gets nerfed to be worthwhile. What I am hoping to do is find another rogue among friends who goes the opposite Covenant I go and test to see if Slaughter and Wound stack (since they are different types of debuffs they should) and wreck everything with a cumulative 40% healing debuff.

That’s what I been hearing but not getting my hopes up because number tuning can be done the day before patch

1 Like

According to this bluepost, in pvp wound is only 12% reduced healing, compared to 15% stolen (and substantially better damage) for slaughter poison.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-warrior-class-changes/490692/106?u=oceans-garona

IMO, Venthyr could very well pull ahead.

We don’t know how some things with soulbinds will shape up:

Venthyr: Nadjia offers either a flat 4% damage boost or 15% to weapon enchants, food and flasks. That could be worth a lot if it effects the magnitude of food and flasks and not just duration. Thrill Seeker is basically a mini heroism every 80 seconds of combat.

Venthyr: Theotar should on average give 60% longer combat potion buffs, which is very powerful. If wasteland proprietary doesn’t have a ICD, thats basically a heavy damage buff that automatically lines up with every shadow dance and could have as much as 60% uptime (not to mention it buffs your party).

Comparatively, none of the necrolord soulbinds look to have a very substantial impact on damage output other than maybe Marilyth’s “Pre-emptive Strike” (10% damage for 5 seconds at the start of combat) which could be nice for solo or M+. The idea that going Necro “frees up” extra dps conduits is kind of meh because there really aren’t that many great dps conduits for sub/sin; theres pretty clearly a high, medium and low options, so theres heavy diminishing returns for trying to take 3 damage based conduits.

Napkin math:

Slaughter is more powerful/efficient than shadowstrike even without the potency buff (1.9% AP per energy vs 1.75 AP per energy). If we factor in something like Venthyr potency rank 5 (maybe achievable in tier 1), Slaughter is about double the damage of shadowstrike (2.7% AP per energy + 40% crit). Shadow strike is just under 100% AP per cast, so double damage is about 200% AP per cast with Symbols up.

Bone spike is currently 60% AP per 3sec, or 1200%AP per minute, per target. That means you only need to get off 12 slaughters to surpass Bone Spike + shadowstrikes at Rank5 in single target, or maybe 7-8 with crits, which does not seem very hard.

Without a nerf to Necrolord, Venthyr could still very well be the best pick for ST for sub by the end of Tier 1. With a small nerf to Necro, Venthyr would likely be the best pick for sub and Necro would still be the dominant choice for multitarget.

It’s harder to say for Sin without seeing how Blindside shakes out, but it’s hard to imagine getting enough PPM for slaughter to catch up.

1 Like

Yes, the 100% crit legendary is a disappointment since it doesn’t work off of “fake” stealth. However, the legendary that does an extra shadowstrike after you shadowstrike or cheap shot is very good and is also quite a lot of fun to use.

I’d play night fae if I’m on sub for the extra in-fight vanish using that legendary.

There’s no way that legendary doesn’t get nerfed into the ground or removed. The feedback loop it creates with combo points on sub is broken.

Nerfed probably. It still “feels” good to use, balance issues set aside.

This is really whats bothering me.

Aesthetically, Maldraax/Necro makes me feel like I need to reroll as an Undead, and I didn’t do that originally for a reason. They’re iconic rogues for the Horde just as Nelfs are for the Alliance, but I chose the latter for a reason.

Its not enough to keep me from Necro for now, but still. Feels like we’re cross-factioning here.

You know how it’s kind of dumb to choose a class based on it’s current standing because class balance changes often and different classes will shine in different encounters, raid tiers, against different arena comps, etc.? It’s the same with covenants.

Pick the one you like the best. It will be better than other covenants under some circumstances and worse than others under other circumstances. Expect tuning to change, especially this early on. It’s pretty unsafe to operate under the assumption that necro will go untouched for us.

3 Likes

Just curious why bastion isn’t mentioned at all in this conversation, is it just that bad?

Bastion is Kyrian right?

Yes Kyrian is that bad.

Unfortunately it’s looking like I am either going to have to transfer my alliance rogue/boost another horde rogue or level another horde rogue so I can use one for pve and one for pvp

Problem is, at least pvp wise, even if they nerf necro itd still would be the best simply due to how energy efficient it is compared to the others. They would HAVE to buff others not just nerf necro for them to be worth going over necro in pvp.

That feels like a pretty short sighted analysis of the system to me but I may be wrong.

It’s doubtful that there’ll be a ‘PvP’ covenant. One May be better depending on your partners or the enemy comp, one for WPvP, for BGs, RBGs,… may depend on your spec, etc.

It’s like saying hardiness is the PvP racial while will of the forsaken is not. They’re just tailored to different circumstances.

Ideally yes but given current state of the abilities the only thing other than necro that might be used i guess would be nightfae maybe with the 100% crit leggo. But that’s a stretch… rogue covenant abilities are pretty terrible for pvp outside of necro or maybe a junky interaction with nightfae.

This plus bonespike gives us a spammable ranged damage option too