Nathanos pre patch cinematic (spoilers)

flips you the double-bird

1 Like

I realized that a while after I wrote it, but I still think it was something pulled out from nowhere just to kick the corpse after it was down. Itā€™s not like Nathanosā€™s image needed any tarnishing to drive the point home by then. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Blightcaller is written like a fan fic character anyway, so giving him fan fic quality writing would be normal.

2 Likes

I have no interest in reading the book, so enlighten me: are the insta-death potions mentioned in it?

Even if they are, all that proves is that Madeleine Roux remembered them.

Maylana is fixating on a statement made by a Blizzard dev months before BfA even started (itā€™s in the ā€œI feel lied toā€ thread) and assuming it explains how SL is going to end, instead of being a lie to string along the fanbase.

3 Likes

Iā€™m a long time Warcraft fan, been here since Warcraft 3.

I donā€™t see the beef with Nathanos coming off as a ā€œFanficā€ character?

I thought he was ok at what he is.

If I remember right, he made a few jokey tweets and expressed his liking the character. Since Nathanosā€™s characterization of ā€œIā€™m so much better than everyoneā€ is basically custom-designed to rankle feathers, people started making self-insert accusations out of it. Teldrassil and BFAā€™s overall story reception didnā€™t help matters.

11 Likes

She used to as recently as BtS, but from what I hear SR/SL has been hard-retconning that, so I guess it just means Blizzardā€™s gaslighting has been successful.

Then I wish they hadnā€™t even tried to make you happy. Iā€™ve had it up to here watching iconic Horde characters get killed off by now, and having one get sacrificed for people who donā€™t even appreciate it is doubly grating.

18 Likes

he went down like MAGA. in total denial.

1 Like

I seriously wonder why some of you play this game, or at least why you bother with the lore. It obviously doesnā€™t make you happy and whatā€™s the point of a hobby if all it does is upset you?

8 Likes

Probably the sunk cost fallacy. Or someone roped them in for another go. A good buddy purchased the CE for my birthday, so I couldnā€™t just turn him down.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t take it that way; then again we are lore guru so Iā€™m sure the masses took it that way.

Blightcaller has a history with Quelā€™thalas. I took it as something that was personal to Lorā€™themar and the Farstriders not something that is universal fact. He was your favorite hero favorite hero when he was alive.

ā€œLorā€™themar Theron is a fool! Heā€™s better suited to politics than the life of a ranger. Iā€™ll match him shot for shot any day.ā€ - Living Blightcaller

1 Like

It doesnā€™t, because the Horde fractured and we were virtually forced to join the rebels. We lost another warchief and racial leader as well as a popular character. It changed the Horde completely, so no, it wasnā€™t totally at the Alliances expense.

13 Likes

I asked the same question when this hit the pre-patch, and people pointed out that there were hints of Nathanos and Lorā€™themar not getting along way back when Nathanos was alive. I doubt the people who wrote the quest text knew about this, since they have never shown themselves to be up on past lore before; Iā€™m sure they were just trying to blacken Nathanosā€™ name. But as an in-character explanation, I like to think itā€™s just Lorā€™themar being petty for a moment. It makes him more relatable.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/shadowlands-prepatch-spoilers/608371/232?u=pellex-hyjal

3 Likes

Why do Star Wars fans follow anything beyond the original trilogy?

2 Likes

I mean the persons would need some knowledge and background before mentioning their previous relationship. Truth is we donā€™t have enough interaction between the living Blightcaller and Farstriders to judge for ourselves. What we have are accounts from both of them/he say she say.

2 Likes

Because the prequels are a meme goldmine with fantastic music and decent worldbuilding?

After that, couldnā€™t tell ya why I keep going. Other than Mandalorian.

2 Likes

Nonsense. If the Horde dug in deep at lordaeron and the Alliance answered by blowing the whole place to bits, no one on the Alliance would have complained. It would have shown that the Alliance has teeth, and arenā€™t afraid to use it. A reminder that it is one of the superpowers of Azeroth that few can contend with, and none can best.
Instead, we got the whole Alliance war machine being depicted as complete idiots who couldnā€™t even plan for the very expected use of blight, which then ahd to be bailed out by a single sorceress. Bleh.

Not entirely. Have him fight until the bitter end, knowing that he canā€™t win. Have him have his smugness, and his fearlessness, until the point where he dies, and in his final moment he realizes that he truly has been abandoned, and that he is going to the maw for an extended vacation.

1 Like

Because the expanded universe (not Disney) is awesome.

:pancakes:

3 Likes

That is true, but considering no one has ever said anything bad about living Nathanos before, my money is on it being newly invented.

What little information weā€™ve ever had about living Nathanos has been positive. The Alliance questgiver who sends you to investigate Blightcaller (in Vanilla) is completely shocked to find out heā€™s the former Nathanos Marris, whom he describes as ā€œso noble - a ranger lord respected by all.ā€

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Blightcaller_Cometh

9 Likes

The WoT showed that the Night Elves (and, by extension, the Alliance) had teeth. Thatā€™s why they were able to slow the entirety of the Horde war machine for a long as they did with a small amount of city guards and civilians. Also itā€™s why the Horde lost every battle after the WoT.

:pancakes:

9 Likes