Nathanos knew all along

She didn’t die as far as we saw, so there’s hope.

1 Like

One thing for sure, things can change, things can get retconned. Maybe, revealing that the obliteration of souls can be reversed would have spoiled the plot they have planned for the last patch.

My concern is that these important lore points will get swept under the rug or receive some broad stroke vague explanation in lieu of an entire raid wing or w/e they said.

2 Likes

Honestly, that whole thing is a pretty good representative of why monks are my actual favorite class in lore. Problems? Swig a beer and KICK IT IN THE FACE. We don’t see nearly enough of them.

Anyway, on topic, I did a brief circuit of the night elf souls in Ardenweald. There’s two expressing strong faith in Elune’s plan, one looking for Delaryn, and the rest are variations on how wonderful Ardenweald is. No anger or disillusionment.

3 Likes

When Monks were announced I almost wanted to change my main to Windwalker Monk:

Along with the four Druid specs and Havoc Demon Hunter, Windwalker Monk was the spec I completed the original Mage Tower on.

1 Like

As far as I can find Sira only says:

We all have our reasons for accepting the val’kyr’s gift. But now is not the time for those discussions.

Though then in Shadows Rising she says:

“I chose nothing!” Sira shrieked, and Maiev stepped forward, so close her shoulder brushed Tyrande’s. “I did not choose to return. I would never choose to return. Everything inside me is ugliness and rage, and the only thing that quiets the scream is death. For what was done to me, I will see a hundredfold done upon this cursed realm!”

But as I said earlier, Blizzard than said she was probably lying to buy sympathy so Tyrande wouldn’t kill her.

5 Likes

I do actually have Silverpoint here…

Though I have a few monks, including a dwarf who’s vying with my druid to be my actual main as far as gear. I genuinely like the gameplay to go with the frankly gloriously ludicrious class fantasy.

And they make an awfully good sentinel to boot.

1 Like

I mained Agi Monk back in Ragnarok Online, and when I came to original WoW back in the day I wanted a similar self-healing melee spec that could buff others, and with having Mark of the Wild at the time that sounded like Feral Druid, and I’ve been on this character since switching from Tauren to Night Elf shortly after the game’s launch.

1 Like

And this is what annoys me. They intentionally leave things vague so they can write whatever crap comes into their head without planning ahead. I do understand that things can change but they should be done in advance, not on a whim from patch to patch.

12 Likes

For the sake of refreshers:

Danuser stresses that the Shadowlands has stakes. After seeing Ursoc and other characters die in the Shadowlands, fans have wondered if there’s another destination for souls. The answer is no. “The destruction of the soul is very real,” Danuser explains. “There are real things at stake here. And if these spirits like Ursoc are not protected and nurtured, they’ll be lost forever.”

The innocent souls who have been funneled into the Maw thanks to the schemes of Sylvanas and the Jailer are in great peril as well. “There are many souls that have been funneled into the Maw that the Jailer has forged into weapons or monstrosities, and they’re just gone,” Danuser says.

3 Likes

Maybe Thalyssra will free the Night Elves of their slavish devotion to Elune.

Thalyssra was an early critic, and her doubts about Elune’s wisdom proved prophetic.

That’s so… Well, depressing. And it makes questing even more so.

1 Like

The CDev that had written Val’sharah’s storyline had this to say about the possibility of Ursoc’s revival:

However, she no longer works for Blizzard, and, having maxed out the Queen’s Conservatory, there’s been no sign of Ursoc. Nor in Wowhead’s database for Shadowlands.

The interview for that reference:

So I’d like to rebuttal with “Not every character tells the truth all the time.” We’re not in Sira’s head in that moment. We don’t know what she’s thinking, or why she’s saying what she’s saying. She is in a prison, with a woman who is probably coming to execute her. So I’m just putting it out there that people will react differently in different situations. The Sira you see alone in a jail cell surrounded by enemies is not the Sira you see swaggering around in the jungle giving guff to Nathanos, right? Like, circumstances matter, and context matters, so, to me, in that moment what you’re really seeing is like- for me, Tyrande goes to that jail cell with every intention of annihilating her. It is kind of her energy. That’s her vibe, for sure, right now. But specifically this in that moment she’s really swayed to the minute, right? It’s a very near thing. And so, for me, it’s like every circumstance has to come together in that moment for her to not do it. For her to not kill her. Or, whatever, I don’t know what you would say, like, “Release her from undeath,” or whatever you want to say. But, yeah, “Just end her.” So, that’s what I would say, is that, people lie. A lot. People lie a lot. And especially when self-preservation is potentially on the line. So yeah, and I think hopefully it’s obvious that Sira does not act the same way in that scene as she would, you know, if she was with her allies, out- you know, like, she’s responding to context, is what I would say in that scenario.

I hate this company.

5 Likes

`https://www.healthline.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder

1 Like

I’m so glad I didn’t waste my time maxing out Queens Conservatory now. Finding this soul they were refering too was the reason I was interested. They lured me into a grind by lying about payoff.

3 Likes

Semi regular reminder that arguments that depends on consistency and stability of the story, as if what was said in the past in either direction is at all relevant for what will happen in the future, a future I also remind everyone is apparently determined on a patch by patch basis according to Ion, is meaningless.

Embrace narrative nihilism cuz the writers already have for a while now and focus on the people behind the curtain.

11 Likes

I’m going to eventually max out the Queen’s Conservatory for a second time to get a transmog piece for my Shaman, but beyond that, as I’ve already gotten all the achievements to be gotten from it, I don’t really have any motivation to use the system since I don’t need any more crafting mats.

1 Like

As much as I don’t want to give Nathan any morality boosts, unfortunately any seeming thread ties between late Legion and Shadowlands are more than likely completely coincidental. Danuser himself admitted that they didn’t even have the end of the expansion plotted out or decided on until after it had launched, so any sort of planning beforehand seems unlikely.

In Before the Storm we are quite literally in Sylvanas’ head and there’s no mention of the Maw, nor the Jailer.

Blizzard has just been scrambling to work backwards and offer some justification or reason for the War of Thorns and the Burning because they didn’t expect the backlash to this extent, and because their every attempt at appeasement was half-assed and devoid of parity. It doesn’t even make sense that the Burning would help the Jailer. Would a bunch of souls have helped an anima starved Ardenweald? Sure, a bit. But the Jailer at this point was getting millions of souls a day at minimum, sending what quite frankly amounted to maybe five digits worth of souls once to bolster him would have been a tiny little blip.

It flat out doesn’t work.

21 Likes