Naming names

mind went immediately to the gutter…

“Your access to these forums is a “privilege,” and not a “right.” Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to suspend your access to these forums at any time for reasons that include, but are not necessarily limited to, your failure to abide by these guidelines.”

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/000256989
Second Paragraph.

1 Like

Not just that section, but this part to:

Harassment takes many forms, and is not necessarily limited to the type of language used, but the intent. Repeatedly targeting a specific player with harassment can lead to more severe action. The idea behind this is to prevent any one player from consistently being uncomfortable in the forums.

Not just “repeat targetting” but targetting players, in general.

Not true.

That’s gray.

I was wondering if there was a specific rule stating “ NO NAMES ALLOWED”. My opinion is that calling somebody out for blatant cheating and ruining your gaming experience is not harassment.

IK, I was just stating how it can be interpretted. Did you see this post of mine?:

IK, I can’t prove it, to you with an actual Blue, but a Blue did say that, in that thread, that no longer exists. I remember seeing it. Again, the URL reads for US. So, it’s synonymous to EU.

Your opinion’s gonna get you another vacation.

1 Like

Yes thank you. The blue post is basically an addendum that can be inserted anytime ala your dad saying “I’m the daddy that’s why”. I’ve always heard you couldn’t specifically name players but doing some light research I didn’t find anything on their tos or coc stating as much.

Well, ToS or not, I’m going to call out this lowbie hunter named Rothlorian on Deviate Delight for being way… way to hawt.

1 Like

I’m playing with fire Glinda. If I’m away for a few days/weeks you know why :anguished:

1 Like

You would think that you couldn’t get a vacation for using a word that comes up ten thousand times when you search the forums.

You would be wrong.

After enough account actions you have a target on your back.

3 Likes

Imp hunters mark is on me and I can’t vanish it off

It’s not up to you, though. Blizzard’s opinion is that accusing someone of cheating is as easily done to harass the innocent as to bring awareness to the guilty, and prefers no calling people out.

Here’s one example from last year - which is pretty explicit there at the end. There’s been no official statement this has changed, and as it has been the rule for over a decade, I’d expect any change to be VERY widely stated.

2 Likes

Thanks for that link.
I wonder why they don’t have that in the coc? That’s a pretty big one considering not a lot of people read those and somebody new trying to report a cheater might get banned.

1 Like

Blizz hardly bans. They just put you on timeout with a suspension.

Stuff like this gets you a “slap on the wrist”, most of the time. The community is pretty good at warning people about it, though.

Well, moderation isn’t usually that brutal. First time offenses are more likely to get a warning and the thread be edited / deleted. Also, even before moderation comes along, more than a few players will often speak up, giving the poster a chance to realize their error and edit it - which moderators can see.

Longer forum vacations are more likely to be seen from repeated abuses, not learning from the initial warnings. Bans are pretty uncommon and take pretty egregious behavior - not a new poster missing a nuance.

(I mean … many of the forums have a sticky which includes the rules that threads shouldn’t be in all caps or shouldn’t ask for a Blue or Blizzard response. Those people don’t get banned outright, but they are pointed to the guidelines when it comes up.)

1 Like

Updated 2 months ago:

[quote] Harassing or Defamatory

This category includes both clear and masked language and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:

• Insultingly refer to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people
  • Result in ongoing harassment to other characters, players, Blizzard employees, or groups of people

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

• Be given a temporary ban from the forums, depending upon severity

Harassment takes many forms, and is not necessarily limited to the type of language used, but the intent. Repeatedly targeting a specific player with harassment can lead to more severe action. The idea behind this is to prevent any one player from consistently being uncomfortable in the forums.[/quote]

Call-out threads fall under Harassment.

This is my home, ‘‘tis where I lay my head😏

I SAW THAT! :point_up_2:

And my forum home has, for a long time, been Customer Support. It was probably early TBC when I first posted there. So I see that side a lot.

2 Likes

No way! There must’ve been no more than 5 secs till I edited that :disappointed:

1 Like