Names not releasing?

Has anyone else noticed that the “inactive” names are not releasing? I’ve been debating transferring servers, but the names are always taken. I look those people up (in proper stalker fashion) and find the character hasn’t been logged in since Cata or WoD. Any idea if Blizzard is still releasing names after two expansions? Is there any appeal process or is this something else that died?

This is an automated process and is not based on if the character has logged in or not. For a name to be released, the account it is on must have been inactive for the past two expansions.

3 Likes

Good to know. Any chance Blizz will be revisiting that process? There are a lot of names sitting there gathering dust making it difficult to find names without excessive alt codes on higher pop servers.

I know I’m guilty of having alts sitting on other servers that haven’t been touched since Vanilla and wouldn’t be upset if Blizz released their names to someone that needed it.

I couldn’t say. At this time, no plans have been announced.

You may not, but other people that have hardships fall on them or those that enter the military might.

Youre always welcome to suggest a change in General Discussion if you think it should work differently, but be specific in how you think it could be better.

1 Like

I hear you. Ideally it would be nice to have a system where you can request a name for a character (not account) that has been inactive for more than one expansion.

We used to be able to submit tickets for it back in the day and Blizzard would evaluate it on a case by case basis.

Oh I remember… It wasn’t really the most efficient use of our time though. We’d receive tickets with literal lists of names. When the impact is fairly minor (can’t use a name you like), it made sense to automate this to free up Game Masters for more pressing subjects like account recoveries.

Similar reason we created the item restoration tool that players can use every 15 days. It’s one of those rather minor (depending on what you deleted) services that took time away from assisting with high priority account topics.

6 Likes

Definitely makes sense. Appreciate the info!

5 Likes