Nameplate distance not working?

Just noticed that my nameplates seem to be rendering farther than the nameplateMaxDistance Cvar. It seems to be rendering at the default 60 yds regardless of the value of the Cvar. I tried setting it to 10, reloaded, and confirmed the value using /dump, but they still render outside the range of my 40 yd spells. This is in retail. Is it bugged?

3 Likes

I can confirm, probably fallout from the Classic unlimited distance with scientific notation bug. Changing it did nothing anymore and effectively would be at 20, the same might now be the case for retail

+1

I’ve tried 4 different addons, all updated for 8.2.5, to change this Cvar and It just won’t work (Elvui, Palter, AdvancedInterfaceOptions and NeatPlates).

This happaned back in the 8.2 launch as well.

This behavior is still occurring for me, too.

If it’s a bug, I hope a fix is created soon.

this is still occuring in LIVE / RETAIL. nameplate distance needs to be changed for gameplay reasons

This issue is still in retail, and still on the 8.3 PTR.

Because the scientific notation bug for unlimited nameplate distance also worked in Retail they lazily applied the same fix by hardcoding the default value since they didn’t want to play “whack-a-mole” with cvars 🤷

I don’t really understand that logic but blizzard tends to use a sledgehammer like that

Just came back after taking a couple months off. I’ve played with 20-40-60-95 range macros for a good while previously. Now it appears to be stuck on 95 and I can’t alter it.
Tried plater options, Advancedinterface addon, macros, turned plater off and a few other things. How long has this been like this?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Please give us the option to set the range of nameplates to our playstyle.

1 Like

This bug is still seen on the 8.3 PTR as of today.

Please continue reporting this through the PTR bug report tool so developers view it as a high priority issue.

Bug is well over a month old now with no acknowledgement from anyone at blizzard, would be nice to at least know the problem is being worked on. Makes playing ranged classes extremely annoying.

2 Likes

bumping for visibility

Glad to see I wasn’t going crazy…
I have this same issue and it is driving me nuts too.
Playing a warlock I have mouseover macros and just dot all the name plates I see, but not anymore.

Another vote for please allow to set range again

bumping for visibility

Would at the very least be nice for a blue to confirm that this is a bug and they know about/its being worked on. This ‘bug’ is currently on the 8.3 ptr please fix it before people have to raid a brand new tier with messed up nameplates

I came back to retail a couple of days ago only to find my nameplates a mess, I absolutely HATE to play with too much stuff on my screen, so I went to set them at 20y like I used to and the command is not working. Can we please get a fix IMMEDIATELY for this? It’s a huge game breaking issue, both for people who like short distances and to those those who use old values to increase it.

Bumping for visibility

bumping for visibility

Just stumbled on this googling the issue. I found a work-around for anyone using an addon that supports transparency (I use Plater). you can set 0 transparency off of your max range spell and it’s technically still bugged but you wont see it.

1 Like

This issue is still present on the latest PTR (8.3.0.32712).

Many players truly want to restrict the nameplate visibility distance to the limit of their castable spells (usually 40 yards). It is extremely frustrating that a solution has not been reached by now, even if it was a simple interface options chooser (“20 yards - 40 yards - 60 yards”).

1 Like