Name reservations? This is a first

Exactly my thoughts. The character create screen doesn’t take much horsepower so even people whose only modern computer is a desktop could probably do the same thing with the old potato laptop that’s been gathering dust in the closet.

Just so long I can get Mongoose.

2 Likes

you pay by the month so whether it’s 1 day or 2 weeks it’s still an extra month

Can we at least get 1 RP-PvP server at launch? Seriously wanna get on the hype train but cant find myself able to without my realm choice available day 1

1 Like

The race for Legolas begins soon…

5 Likes

Not a fan of the name reservations. While it helps people who can’t play on 8/27, it hurts those who can’t login in that naming time window. Day 1 all the good names will be gone.

It will also hurt early leveling as people will be rolling right in vs trying to reserve all their names at the character screen. I promise you, people who have no intention of playing classic WoW are going to be name grabbing, and they will just collect dust.

4 Likes

So, out of curiosity there was a 3 character limit mentioned in the aforementioned Blue Post. Has there been any discussion on whether this is simply for the name reservations or for Classic itself after release?

cant wait to name my warrior Who, my priest what, my mage idk etc lol

1 Like

I’m going to name my Warrior TheMage and my Mage ThePriest, so its total confusion on Discord when your trying to get your buddies to focus on me in BGs

“Get the mage man”
“What mage? What’s his name?”
“TheMage”
“Yes the Mage, whats his name”

5 Likes

almost a whole month of sub to reserve names if u don’t play retail. Basically paying $15 to reserve names. This company is so greedy.

7 Likes

No one is saying you have to, you can always wait til launch.

3 Likes

Well, since this is about the Classic period.

7 Likes

14 days is almost half a month not a whole month. Also maybe it’s nothing about a money grab but about rewarding valued customers, is that so wrong?

It’s not like they are saying you have to get early character creation access to play at all, if you want to reserve a name that’s your choice as a consumer and a player.

3 Likes

Any country that uses meteorological seasons instead of astronomical seasons has the summer end on August 31st, actually, at least in the northern hemisphere (otherwise it’d be winters end).

Not that that’s not still summer, mind you. Just saying that for some people there isn’t a month of summer left, but rather about 3 days. Still, it’s in the summer, so they weren’t technically lying.

There are mostly two primary ways to determine season, but there are also some odd balls out there as well!

Astronomical seasons, which is about the planets location in orbit, are defined by equinoxes that differ by year. These can begin on the 21st through the 25th of June, for summer as an example.

Meteorological seasons, which are determined by the average temperature of months, are defined as the beginning of one month (the 1st) through the end of a different month. So meteorological summer is June 1st through August 30th, for summer.

There are also a few oddballs, like Sweden and Finland, which define seasons by this years temperature changes. Seven full days of temperatures above a certain point define the start of summer. This means that the “start” of summer is only known 7 days after it occurs, but it’s very specific about the temperature. Basically, you know it’s summer because now it’s warm (and you know it’s winter because now it’s cold), without any meaningful deviation. (That is, one random day of warm doesn’t constitute summer, but a random day of cold 2 weeks into summer doesn’t stop it from being summer)

There are also groups of people who use 6 seasons, such as parts of india and china. Then there have been a few (mostly tropical) areas that have just two or three seasons (Warm + Wet/Warm + Dry, or Warm + Wet/Warm + Dry/Monsoon).

TL:DR

There’s only a month of summer after release if you’re using the astronomical seasons. If you’re using meteorological seasons (a valid and widely used metric) then there’s only 3 days of summer.

Turns out, “season” is kind of nebulous. Whodathunkit?

2 Likes

reserving 3 names isn’t enough for you? More importantly, why are you on this forum? why do you care how many names you can reserve if you won’t play it? You’re calling them pathetic?? it’s a business… For the love of god, please don’t play classic. We don’t need negative and ignorant people like you around.

4 Likes

It’s the classic example of “give 'em an inch and they take a mile”.
Every time a concession is made for QoL, people just want more.
“You can create characters on Aug 13th? Why can we only make 3?” “Why can’t we just play from Aug 13th?” “Why do we require an active account?”

3 Likes

This is the US forums. We do things US style here. Which is where Blizzard HQ is located.

2 Likes

Yes, but not everyone who has to use the North American website is actually in North America.

(To clarify, though, I live in New England and am thus firmly in North America. I’m just saying that not every region has it’s own forums, and that many countries use meteorological seasons, including some that must use these forums due to a lack of their own.)

2 Likes

Not everyone has to speak the prevalent language in a country, but it helps to prevent misunderstanding in that country. You can’t expect everyone to be able to speak and translate 1000+ different languages and dialects.

1 Like

You do understand that I’m not chastising Blizzard for saying “Summer”, right? That I do not believe that Blizzard has made an error by saying “Summer” and then releasing near the end of August, yes?

I’m simply clarifying why some people might feel misled because some people do not use the United States calendar. All you’ve done is say that Blizzard followed the United States calendar, which is true and fine. It doesn’t really do anything to my point, though.

As you say, you can’t expect everyone to translate stuff like that, but the same is true for seasons. It’s unlikely that someone in a country that uses meteorological seasons will intuitively be aware of when the seasons start and end for us.

I was trying to give information that would clarify where that discrepancy might come into play. Not to chastise or correct anyone on how they should go about things.

Not to mention that even in the US most people don’t consider september summer, because we’re used to thinking of summer as “the time we’re not in school”. Having seen this very issue raised all day, I took the liberty of asking some of my friends on Facebook what they think as “summer” and most people seem to think it means “june, july, and august” because “those are the warm months” or “those are the school vacation months”.

It might technically include september, but even a lot of US citizens are hard pressed to remember that summer extends all the way into september (basically it’s entirety, in fact).

Edit:

To be more specific, I mean that we all went to school and learned when summer was colloquially. Not that we’re all in school now, that would be absurd.

1 Like