Mythic raiding, is it worth developer time?

So I think we can safely say Mythic level raiding has the lowest % of players of all content in WoW.

That brings me to the title, should developers be spending time and effort creating and balancing these 20 man encounters that only a small % of players participate in when current?
LFR, Normal and Heroic are far more inviting for players. The numbers back this up.
What could the dev’s accomplish with things like class balance and raid design if they didn’t have to worry about a % of a % of raiders?
How much better could PvE content be if they weren’t worrying about the next Method or Limit?
I feel like without Mythic we would see less item level bloat, power levels wouldn’t constantly be out of control at the end of every expansion and the game could possibly become a bit more of a friendlier place for everyone.

Mythic+ Dungeons already offers a mode that’s easier to design, has more people engaging with it and has endless scaling difficulty for people looking to really challenge themselves.

TL;DR - Would WoW be better without Mythic raiding?

*fixed my glaring error, sorry!
I think this sparked some really good discussion.
There is something for everyone, but everything isn’t for everyone and that’s okay.

22 Likes

no

Consider who makes all the quality non-game content. the class guides, the fight explanations, the youtube videos.

who makes all the fantastic addons and weak auras we use in raid.

it’s not joe casual still working on AoTC this far into the expansion.

67 Likes

True the add-ons are great, but because they exist they have to design around them.
This puts more strain on the dev’s when designing high-end encounters.
Thus making Mythic even harder to balance and design.

7 Likes

Mythic raiding is there for the hardcore and those that want to be challenged. Why would you want to remove something that a part of the player base enjoys, even if it is only a small part of said player base? That’s like asking Blizzard to remove Arena because only a small portion of the player base does it lol

18 Likes

I think having very difficult content with low completion gives people something to aspire to. also the world first race is fun to watch.

21 Likes

I would argue pvp(arenas) participation is way lower, but they’re not just going to remove them.

Also some people hate running Mythic+ dungeons over and over. Timed game play for end game would cause some heavy burnout in pve too.

Maybe if they had different modes for mythic+ other than just time attack it would be fine.

7 Likes

Fair point.

With all the back alley deals and underhanded stuff going on with some of these guilds I almost wonder if that part is having a negative impact on the game.
The whole Method debacle, the Gallywix RMT scandal and who knows what else.

4 Likes

Yes, it absolutely is.

If content was as easy as LFR, we’d all quit after a week. Remember how long people enjoyed Warfronts and Island Expeditions? That would be the raiding scene.

Plus, raids don’t just end once people clear them.

They get farmed over and over and over in future expansions. Raids are a content loop that don’t just end when the next one comes out.

10 Likes

No. These mythic raiders keep harping on how bad LFR is for the game. Well I think an old boys club that gets exclusive loot just because they have the time to wipe 500 times on a boss is bad for the game, especially seeing as they are way in the minority here.

3 Likes

The method debacle was a outside of game issue and they deserve what they got. Gallywix scandal comes from people wanting boosts. Whether or not mythic is in the game people will buy boosts. People are currently buying AotC, mythic 15’s, and 5 mask visions. None of those are mythic raiding.

3 Likes

I would say this is due to the state of how Blizzard has been handling situations. Such as still allowing corruptions to be used in arenas. Its a really dumb idea honestly.

9 Likes

No they don’t.

1 Like

You are talking black and white here, not shades of grey. You yanks love to talk absolutes. Getting rid of mythic means everything will be LFR easy! what a load of hogwash.

Game was fine before Mythic was a thing.

7 Likes

End game raiding was just called something else. Heroic, just raiding. The easier difficulties didn’t exist.

1 Like

That’s because late heroic was the mythic we have today.

1 Like

There is a massive positive trickle down impact that Mythic or end game raiders have on the game that is hugely positive. From the economy to the information to the insane amount of people that sub ONLY to raid. If Mythic raiding were to go, I can’t think of any other one area of the game that would hurt the game more.

If this game became as simple as “haha just log on and don’t care about anything forget your gear your builds your talents go farm some murlocs and log off” this ship would sink. fast. content like mythic is important.

3 Likes

Lets establish the facts here:

1. Gallywix RMT’ing is not related to Mythic Raiding as a concept. Most of the RMT’s were over gold selling and M+ carries.
  2. Method bought gold (through illicit sellers) not because they had to to afford Mythic Raiding, but because it was significantly cheaper than just buying tokens.

That being said, Gold buying is literally only an issue this tier because of how absurdly powerful (and expensive) Corruptions are.

When even one of them can be equivalent to a legendary in power, you’d be stupid NOT to buy them if you’re looking to push difficult content.

BoE items should NEVER have been able to be corrupted.

6 Likes

If you actually look at the stats on worldofwargraphs, more people kill at least 1 boss on mythic than people who clear an LFR wing without doing any other bosses on Normal+ difficulties.

Here are the stats from the first boss in the first 3 mythic raids of BFA for active accounts with at least one lvl 120.

M Taloc - 33.4%
M Champion - 37.5%
M Sivarra - 29.5%

To put it in perspective, only 60-70% of active accounts with a 120 clear the end boss of the raid on ANY difficulty.

You still think Mythic raiding is a minority?

5 Likes

The gear you get from the hardest content should be better than that of easier content.

2 Likes

Absolutely not (I initially read this as "Would WoW be better without Mythic raiding).

There should always be challenging elements in a game that attracts such a diverse array of players as an MMORPG like WoW.

This game is utter garbage without the addons people develop for raids and whatnot.

People would quit very quickly if there wasn’t something greater to aspire to, just as people would quit if there wasn’t an introductory means by which people could experience the content (LFR).

Literally the only reason why Mythic participation rates aren’t as high as they could be is because people aren’t taking the initiative required to enter the highest levels of coordinated group content present within this game.