Mythic+ advice?

I’ve been doing m+ as boomy, and am swapping into restoration. I’ve healed before but not mythic+ 10, or more.

I was doing a 7, and found that I’m struggling to keep up tanks, with full hots rolling, and spamming regrowth. I go oom pretty quick. is there any other way?

p.s. I miss healing touch, and genesis.

1 Like

As someone who’s mained MW for all of BFA and decided to roll druid, I think the reason I struggle with keys that would be easy for my monk is because druid’s ST heal kit for tanks that don’t have a lot of self-sustainability is very low compared between the 2. I find that even with full HoTs rolling, CW, and Swiftmend + 2 Grove trending, my tank dies in events that my MW would have easily topped him up.

My tank in my group sacrifices a lot of self-sustainable azerite traits and talents in favor of high damage output to help push keys (often above the other dps). While this works well with my MW because of it’s mastery being entirely dedicated to ST healing, it doesn’t help my druid. If you look at a lot of high end m+ logs for resto druids, you’ll see tanks have upwards of 25-30k HPS, whereas my tank sits closer to around 10-15k. That much self healing is the biggest difference for a resto druid trying to keep a tank up.

TL;DR tanks that have low self-sustain don’t work well with resto druids.

1 Like

Yeah… no.

Resto druids are perfectly capable of healing every tank.

This is user error. Not class related.

Your tank is likely under geared for the content, pulling too much, or not using his cds and active mitigation correctly.

Or… the onus falls on you.

Resto druids are not a reactive healer. You have to be prepared for incoming damage or else you’ll be continually playing catch up untill you’re oom or someone dies.

A 7+ is a cake walk with the current ilvl available. There is no reason as to why you should be struggling to keep the tank up based on class mechanics.

Edit… just checked. Youre 429 ilvl and you’re having a hard time with 7+???

Jesus Christ.

8 Likes

I totally skipped over that he was talking about a 7 :sweat_smile: I was talking more about 14/15’s on mine, at about the same ilvl.

I’d go to WoWhead and then raider IO and take a look at what other tree’s are doing in terms of talents, azerite talents and neck talents. I mostly cat but on sevens it should mostly be throw down a shroom, HoT the tank and go to town on damage.

Damn, my feelings man.

1 Like

drop abundance for cen ward, go cat affinity, and maybe drop stonebark for spring blossoms. the main benefit to rdruid is the mastery, which scales off hot stacks, and damage output in cat form. cen ward and blossoms give extra easy hots (however stonebark isnt bad if you feel you cant keep tanks up)

also ur azerite traits could be better. you only need 1 ysera’s, and i personally dont like autumn leaves. you should also be dropping your crit a ton and picking up mastery.

edit - leave isnt entirely doo doo but i dont like it

1 Like

Well here’s my personal advice: bump up that mastery and your haste. I like to have around 20% (1.8k) mastery with my haste at around 15% (1k). Before you go into a pull, you should already have Lifebloom, rejuv, and efflo on your tank.

To run on this, try to find gear with a mastery proc (tradewinds and incite the pack) as those really help throughout the key. I run 2 Grove Trending (for tank heals), 2 tradewind, high noon (for damage), and lively spirit (nothing like a good int boost after using innervate). Autumn leaves is not great in m+, I don’t even like ysera’s outside of raid, and rampant growth is meh because regrowth shouldn’t be relied on as your primary source of throughput in a key.

All that and you should feel a significant difference in your ability to heal a tank in your keys, especially sub 10.

1 Like

the main benefit to running rampant is the free hot stack on the tank for the mastery. i would agree on ysera’s not being necessary but the OP def should not have more than 1, b/c the value is in the reduced tick time not the extra heal. I would actually say you also only need one grove tending trait, as the benefit comes from just having the HoT, not really the strength of it (tho it is strong and pairs well with stonebark if you use it). But again, some of the better traits are the ones that give secondary stats (trade winds/ loyal/ pack), specifically mastery and haste

Something that I noticed last night in raid is that rampant doesn’t proc on lifebloom until you cast regrowth on someone else (though this could just be a UI bug, as ElvUI has been giving me some issues with this last patch).

The only reason I take more than one GT, though, is purely because of what I had mentioned earlier about my tank running DPS gear/traits over survivability. Jaamaw, the highest m+ resto drood, does the same thing. He uses 3 to help his BM tank get through the rough portions of pulls, especially at the key levels he’s running. Honestly, to each their own at our levels :yum:

1 Like

I really think this is operator error, which is hard to fix here.

The problem is you can’t keep your tank up and you’re going oom. There are a LOT of issues that can contribute to this.

Regarding the tank: are they appropriately geared (ilvl, essence, azerite)? Do they use their active mitigation correctly? Are they using major cooldowns when necessary? Are they overpulling? Do they have good threat management (aka do the mobs generally gather closely in front of the tank or are they running sporadically from player to player)?

Regarding you: full hots means lifebloom, rejuv, regrowth, cen ward, spring blossoms, wild growth, grove tending and cultivation. Your talents dont allow you to use some of those, which directly diminishes your healing ability. Because of the way mastery works, the more hots you have on your target, the stronger your heals are.

Are you using ironbark when the tank needs it? Are you coordinating cooldowns with your tank? Are you using innervate in yourself when you know you have to burn a lot of mana?

At your ilvl, a 7 should be fairly easy for you to heal. Something is absolutely going wrong for you to be failing.

My suggestions to you: make sure you have a raid frame that shows active hots on your party. This is absolutely critical for your success.

Some talents are strictly better than others for 5 man healing. Cen ward and spring blossoms are examples. Cultivation vs incarn is more of a preference. (An extra hot guaranteed on low health or a big cd when you need to move and heal 100%…think KR second boss’s room). Also, dont bother with feral affinity until you are having absolutely no issues with healing. Stay guardian so you can protect yourself better. You can bear form and frenzied regen to heal yourself up very quickly. You can also bear form barkskin and soak an incredible amount of damage. Staying alive >>>> doing a little more dps than wrath spamming in caster.

Having trouble keeping a tank up in a +7, even with Quaking this week, is definitely user error, though naturally without more info than “we died” there’s little way to tell if it’s on you or the tank (or given Quaking, DPS :stuck_out_tongue: ). Proper use of defensives basically does half your job for you, so if he’s just barging in buck naked as far as buffs go…well you can do it on a 7 but you won’t have a pleasant time, especially if he’s not the only one to heal.

Generally speaking, if you have LB, rejuv, regrowth, and WG all up, he’s standing in Efflo + Blossoms, and you drop Ironbark + Ward on him too, and he’s still getting trucked, it’s probably not your fault. Look for what enemy castbars are getting through and how often, and see if your DPS are keeping the pull controlled. Try to gauge the variance in how much damage the tank takes – ideally it’ll be fairly smooth throughout the pull, because he’ll roll bigger defensives early in the pull when everything sucks, then taper down to his basic active mitigation as it thins out.

As far as traits, lose one Grove and one Waking. Resto traits are almost all one-and-done to give us the added mechanical effect and/or free mastery layer, and the raw added number is rarely worth much. If you have the option, look for Autumn Leaves.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Feral and catweaving are for chewing through the massive HP sponge of higher keys once everyone actually knows what the hell they’re doing. I don’t even bother when I’m running my weekly 10.

1 Like

I would also recommend checking our questionably epic. They have really good info. Well worth a read.

I have found it depends on the tank, their gear, and their ability to play the class.
I have had 400 item level tanks in +5 keys that were easy to heal, and I have had 430 tanks in a +7 that I couldn’t seem to keep alive.
Lots of factors come into play, especially when healing a pug.

I am just starting at as well tried to heal a +6 tol last night and invited a undergeared DH because I was sick of waiting for a tank which was not the best idea considering my gear is not great either but figured since the other keys I boosted up to the 6 timed I would try.

Same thing I had all hots on the tank, and was spamming swiftmend,regrowth and I could not keep him up than he just left wasting the key. Bottom line though Tical is right the tank I brought just had crap gear when you are using every tool in the shed and the tank is still dying its not your fault.

Dude hes asking for help with his class not asking for toxicity and ridicule. You are a part of why this community is toxic trash.

12 Likes

You should be ok with 429 though I just started as a resto and can heal +5 so far and maybe up to a +6 yet to be determined. Just keep your hots rolling on the tank, and save a swift mend charge for emergency but yeah if the tank is dying and you are doing all this at 429 it is in no way your fault and the tank is either very undergeared and or very bad.

The other likely thing on low keys is dps not interrupting and causing large chunks of health to go missing

2 Likes

First off for OP, ignore Tical. He’s usually incendiary.

Second, it’s not just a you thing. Some damage is unhealable. Our groups tank gets deleted if our dps mess up interrupts and stuns on large pulls. Not my fault I can’t heal through multiple Water Blasts. You should still TRY to heal the damage, but don’t get all self hating if you can’t do it.

Third, anything with haste and mastery is a huge upgrade over anything of equal or slightly higher ilvl most of the time. These are the best m+ stats for Rdruid. Almost everything I have equipped is Haste/mastery, and it feels great. Very high haste lowers your gcd which feels fantastic too.

3 Likes

Another thing that might be an issue, although for this week the tank would need to be standing in the sangria while the melee quakes them to death, is the affixes.

Sometimes you’ll get tanks that don’t know the affixes and will do things like chain pull on bolstering and create a super boss that can’t be healed through.