My WoW folder is now 72 GB

Is that normal? Seems pretty big to me. I know there’s 14 years of artwork in there, but if Blizzard doesn’t have plans to pare that down somehow, looks like I’ll be spending my Christmas money on a bigger SSD. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Is that just what it’s showing as in Windows 10’s list of installed programs, or is that the actual size of the install directory? Mine is only 53GB.

1 Like

Mine’s only 57GB, but I cleared out the screenshots at the beginning of the year and archived them.

2 Likes

Huh, I just went to check it and Windows 10 says it is 89.6GB while the folder itself shows as 55GB… Le Strange.

Windows 10’s been doing that since Windows 10 itself launched. It’s an issue with the OS. That’s why I asked the OP about it. :B

3 Likes

56 gigs here

It’s just the WoW folder itself, though right now that’s the only folder in that particilar drive (it’s a 75 GB SSD).

Good information, thank you an +1.

That seems… odd. Unless you’ve already completed download of the upcoming patch and it happens to be that large, which seems like it should be a little unlikely.

What are the sizes of the individual folders, e.g. Cache, Data, Errors, Interface, etc?

Games these days take up massive amounts of drive space. It is why I only keep my most frequently played games on my SSD and have set up a RAID 5 array for my other games and mass storage so that I have both redundancy and increased speed. I also set up folders on my data drive to store things such as screenshots/videos and what not when I’m able to.

1 Like

At least SSD prices have fallen quite a lot in the last few years. If you decide to get a new one, you should be able to pick up a decent sized one without breaking the bank.

1 Like

The WoW\Data\data folder is 69.4 GB. It has individual files called data.000, data.001, data.002, and so forth, up to data.069. They are all exactly 1 GB each, except for the last one which is about 400 MB.

That’s definitely larger than expected, but at least it does mean it’s all game data. If you’ve had the game installed for an exceedingly long time on that machine, it’s possible that some of it is bloat you could clean up by uninstalling/reinstalling overnight, but it’s also possible that the next content patch has been pre-downloaded on your machine and is… well, just that big.

Obligatory “nice”

4 Likes

There you go, my dude.

2 Likes

I did see it downloading patch data earlier today (presumably for next week), but that still seems like quite a lot to me. All of those data.xxx files have time stamps from today, except two of them. Data.044, oddly, hasn’t been modified since 2016.

Well, it sounds like everything is in order in your WoW folder at least. So… I guess the patch really just is that big, and I should expect my folder to go from 53 to 69 GB as well after I’ve finished downloading it.

Considering another thread going on right now these numbers seem to add up, apparently a 16GB download… For some reason.

Yep, seems legit.

I have tons of addons and my WoW folder is only 58.6 GiB.