My issue with PVP

But real warfare has real lives at stake. This is a game. That’s all it is. We invest nothing in it beyond 15 bucks a month. Play it.

2 Likes

No, not really, no… I get joy from ruining others fun.
As Nyhm once said “Maybe I gank too much, but greys drop in one touch!”

1 Like

Pretty easy question to answer.

If you think griefing/camping/trolling is so integral to the pvp “experience” would you encourage your child to do it?

I would not encourage my child to play a game predicated on race war. Would you?

Yes, because they’re games. similar to movies or books, games should not be restricted to what is socially acceptable IRL.

Do you tell your child it is okay to kill that horde player as long as you do it fair and square? Or do you understand that this is a game and does not mimic real life - but a child still might not be the appropriate age to play it.

I encourage my boys to play WoW, it’s a fun game. I encourage them to pvp, it’s a huge challenge.

If I see them acting like @ssholes online I teach them that deriving enjoyment from inflicting suffering on others is not at all healthy.

See? Not so tough to figure out.

1 Like

Suit yourself. But perhaps your decisions don’t render you a valid judge of other’s behavior.

If I see someone loving every minute of inflicting suffering on another person I feel very comfortable in judging them as an @sshole at best, a sociopath at worst.

And if you really want to make defending griefers/campers/trolls your hill to die on… have fun my dude.

If you don’t want your children to acquire bad habits, perhaps keep them out of a cartoon race war game.

1 Like

This is the way pvp server actions work. There is a solution. A pvp solution. If you don’t like the chance that pvp might happen on a pvp server, then you can opt for a pve server and no longer have fear of comparing yourself to a chained dog.

Most people that I have observed complaining about being ganked are themselves repeat gankers. It’s part of the game. Blizz even made city and town guards weaker so pvp could take place closer and in them and encourage opposing players to participate.

If this doesn’t sound like fun, there isn’t any shame in rolling pve. And you still get to pvp in BG’s, which is where all your honor and rep gear is going to come from anyway.

What some kid has to with anything I wouldn’t know.

And you missed the whole point.

I’m not arguing against pvp.

1 Like

Yeah I used to like ganking when I first started out many moons ago, but as years go by, you start seeing players as people, so it’s not so easy to gank someone, especially in Classic where they’ll walk for a long way. That being said, I’m hoping I’ll have strength to rogue gank.

1 Like

Some people actually get off on that. But yeah, that faded for me too. I moved to a PvE server and never looked back. That sort of thing loses its luster for many people. Last thing I want to do is ruin someone else’s day, or cost them tons of their precious free time. Now that Im older, I empathize far more in that regard than I did in my youth.

So you are one of those who believe your actions are not in your own control. IN A VIDEO GAME.

Cmon man, give me a break.

Except in regards to that post, apparently.

You want pvp, but you don’t want pvp.

I’m getting bugged driving up and down this same old strip
I got to find a new place where the kids are hip

My buddies and me are getting real well-known
Yeah, the bad guys know us and they leave us alone

I get around . . . .

Your post just struck me funny.

You seem to associate PvP with griefing/camping/trolling in general. That’s kinda sad.

But please, tell me more about how it’s “skill based” and stuff like that.

You seem to assume instead of comprehend. I have no idea where you’re getting any of that.

Grieving players is part of the experience on pvp servers. If you don’t want to deal with it, remove yourself from it.

No more chained dogs or other poorly fitting melodramatic examples of gaming experiences.

2 Likes

Griefers derive pleasure from inflicting suffering on other people.

But suddenly that’s okay to do because WoW is a “virtual” world? And I am supposed to believe that there’s no way they are this maladjusted IRL?

Meanwhile, we have a number of people in just this thread describing in pretty solid detail how uncomfortable ganking and griefing makes them feel even when they win and you’re still here trying to promote the idea that deriving pleasure from inflicting suffering on the defenseless is all well and good?

Think about what you’re saying here. Antisocial behaviors are still antisocial behaviors even in a VR setting.

2 Likes