My friend was suspended for "cheating"

How thorough are player reports investigated for “cheating”? If a player is farming a spot and players who pass by report them for “cheating”, how thorough is it investigated to see if the player is actually cheating?

Are appeals investigated further?

Thoroughly. Account action is never taken lightly.

Your friend can appeal until they’re told no more.

Each appeal is a different person going over the logs.

4 Likes

Also important to note - the reason for the account action might have occurred well before the account action - weeks, even months ago.

3 Likes

well, i trust them and they promise me they weren’t cheating in any way, and it’s not like just some regular friend, it’s a friend that you’d trust with your life kinda friend.

So im left wondering if im a gullible fool, or if a blizzard cheat catcher person really did make a mistake. And if so, why didnt the appeal correct the mistake? So im really curious at how serious blizzard takes cheating reports and suspensions. I’ve always thought it was rock solid, but this is my trustworthy friend. Not just a guildy friend. The real deal.

If the person investigating the logs and info comes to the same conclusion, the account action is upheld. If they discover an error was made, the account action is over turned.

They’re welcome to appeal over and over until such time as Blizzard says enough.

3 Likes

well how thoroughly do they look at it though? Do they just see a bunch of reports and say, “yep lots of reports this guy must have been botting”. Or do they actually look into data to see botting mechanics occuring? Do they spy on the player to see exactly what is happening?

I’m curious, it’s important to know that a suspension is not in false. I want to be able to trust that when a suspension is given that it was taken seriously and absolute. Right now im split, someone or something is dishonest, and i want to believe in the truth.

I trusted the system. I want to still.

That is between your friend and Blizzard. A false positive is generally pretty rare, but they do happen, which is why there’s an appeals process. In these rare circumstances, the first appeal generally catches it. Under the most extraordinary of circumstances, additional appeals can help the situation.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing that can help you decide this. Blizzard will not share details of another player’s account.

4 Likes

The last thing Blizzard wants to do is ban or suspend an account. They’re going to investigate thoroughly.

Think about it, if they didn’t - they’d upset the player base AND create more work for themselves - dealing with appeals, reversing the account action etc.

8 Likes

Oh, they are QUITE thorough, they check everything. Also, you are not gonna get details of the process as Botters/Exploiters would love that information.

4 Likes

sad times. i’ll tell them to keep appealing but until it’s overturned i gotta side with the big blue boys.

They’re a business. How long do you suppose they’d stay in business if they banned players just because someone else told them to? How long do you think it would be before they didn’t have any customers.

Reports are investigated as thoroughly as they need to be to prevent mistakes, and when mistakes do happen, they’re investigated again.

5 Likes

A player is never banned for botting just because of reports, or the number of reports. Blizzard doesn’t ban because players claim someone is botting. They go by their log files. They go by what is detected by Warden. You can have hundreds of players report you for botting, but if the log files don’t support it nothing happens.

5 Likes

where did you get this information though?

That information has never been a secret, Bravado.

11 Likes

As long time active members on this forum, we pick up information from reading players enquiries and the responses from Blizzard over the years.

9 Likes

so there’s always hard solid evidence. I guess someone that would cheat would also lie. i should have learned this from my last few relationships. why am i so trusting? :cry:

Because you don’t cheat?

5 Likes

Not all botting suspensions have been upheld. It’s always worth a try if they think that they were falsely banned. But after they tell your friend to knock it off with the appeals then you could probably be assured that they were doing something bad.

1 Like