My cursor and nameplates got bigger

it started after the 8.2 update. I thought it might be my kui nameplates acting up but the fact that its happening with my cursor too makes me think it isn’t Addon specific. I can’t find anywhere to change my cursor size in the settings so I’m confused that there doesn’t seem to be a setting there to be messed up in the first place. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2 Likes

Same problem. My cursor is huge… “help”

The nameplate is now a restricted frame. You may be seeing issues related to that.

Thanks for your response and that link. I went through it and didn’t see anyone talking about their name plates or cursor though.

Does anyone know how to change these things back to normal. My cursor is probably 4x bigger than normal and all of the things it changes to like a sword over enmities and a gold cog over interactive things.

The nameplates look normal until I select a target then that targets plate is way bigger than it used to be. None of the other perspective/scaling things have changed.

For that I would check to make sure none of your graphics settings, including UI scaling, got reset with the patch. Patches often do reset graphic settings.

We’ve also seen a number of cursor comments related to the 1903 Windows 10 update that just came out. Those tend to be color related, not size related, though.

I checked them yesterday and my scaling had changed. I moved the slider back to 100%. Hit apply and nothing changed :confused:

Hey there friends,

On this one there are a few commands that can help out with the cursor.

The first one I would try is manually changing the cursor size. The command is:

/Console cursorSizePreferred -1

-1 sets this to auto detect, while 1 - 4 will set it from small to very large.

If this does not help, or if we want to move on to the nameplate issues, I would try this command next.

/console Cvar_Default 

This one resets all variables, even the cursor one, back the games default.

Last, if still an issue, I would want to clear the game settings. Sometimes this is just a resolution problem and just needs to be reset.

Let me know if I helped or not!

/Nathardrick

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. None of that has worked for me. It looks like my cursor size was already on 1 even though it’s way bigger than normal. My targeted name plate hasn’t changed and my frame rate hasn’t gotten any better.

Heya Ikkulus,

Does the same thing happen when using Window Mode or reduced resolution scaling?

If you’re not sure how to do this, here are instructions:

1. Open the game and login to the affected character
  2. Hit escape until the game menu opens, then click system
  3. Under graphics, slide the resolution scale to the left and verify any changes
1 Like

I got through on a ticket. They asked me to delete my cache and WTF folders. I did that. My Addon are gone right now so I can’t speak to the nameplates yet but my cursor is still the same. My frame rates seem to be a little better. Everything having been reset my resolution scale seems to default to 63%. So that’s already happening I guess. Moving it to the right just drops my frame rate.

Im having the same issues with my cursor. since the update to 8.2, everything has gone to crap.

I’ve noticed that it takes into account your system mouse size too. I don’t think the windows version does that. I normally have a alrge mouse for visual issues, but any time I play wow I have to put my system mouse tiny or its monstrous.

Ikkulus,

Above you mentioned you tried the command, but the cursor was still huge. Did you try 0?

/console cursorSizePreferred 0

Any luck that way? As for the nameplates, if they improve with the UI reset, that’s outside of our wheelhouse. That’d indicate an addon related issue most likely. If none of this helps, can you open your settings (Esc>System) and take a screenshot? You can upload the screenshot to a site like imgur and link it here.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

/console cursorSizePreferred 0
…worked for me on my MacBook Pro 2015 to get my cursor back to a decent size. Thanks, Drakuloth.

1 Like

This worked for me! thank you, very appreciated