Multiboxing is one of THE most positive aspects of WoW and here is why:

While I’m all for multi-boxing. I think this topic doesn’t really offer anything even though it is saying something. Looking at the various posts they cover such wide topics, yet don’t offer any elaboration.

Let me just look at the various points.

In what way?

In what way?

How so?

This is true. I would rather see 10 players vs 10 players instead of 1 player and 10 toons vs 10 players and one toon. I think the issue I have with multi-boxing and PVP is that with one key press 10 arcane blasts or 10x are going off at once vs 10 players doing something and unless they are really cordinated, they are not going off all at once.

True. until (Unless it’s already happening) someone creates a bot program with multi-box toons just running around a zone and arcane blasting the zone to death.

This is on a case by case basis. I would rather have players leave me alone and let me do my own thing. Now if I ask for help, that’s another thing.

I think the term fun is very subjective. If I was boosting people for money. It’s a business deal. The only enjoyment comes after I get paid. Going through the content wouldn’t be fun, as it would just be a means to an end. Kind of like putting on a pair of shoes.

This is also very subjective. I would say that multi-boxing is just another aspect of the game and it can be used for both good and ill.

Not going to convince me that someone running around with 5 mages clearing large areas of zones with a single key press is a positive experience for the person that is trying to quest in that area.

As I said before, I support multi-boxing but I do know that there are certain things that do not create positive experiences for other people.

I feel like there’s almost no positive experiences for non-multiboxers.

Nothing wrong with feeling that way, not everything is going to appeal to every player.

Even as a multi-boxer I see things that I would consider being very negative to the general player base from those that do multi-box. What irks me just as much though, is when people that are not doing these things get tossed under that same umbrella.

There must be something though that keeps the player around though. I wouldn’t pay to play a game that I didn’t like, even if I generally liked the game. Kind of like how I love WoW but I play Classic instead of Retail.

How come a normal player cannot press one button to control multiple action but a multiboxer can press one to control 5 actions? I can’t press a button to dismount and charge but a 5 mage setup can press one to cast 5 arcane bombs on me?

I’m not questioning your intelligence, even if what I write may sound like. Please don’t take it as such though.

The reason why people are capable of doing this is because they are making use of third party key cloning software and another player is not.

On the other hand people are free to use or not use addon’s. One player can use a quest addon and will have an edge over a player that doesn’t use said addon and doesn’t know the zone or game. Or another player being able to check the entire AH and another person is just using the normal sift through each tab, or whatever.

Fun Fact: Addon’s are considered third party software.

Fixed what? Pilpul is for children.

Multiboxing relies on third-party programs to perform extensive (eg, oftentimes 10x or more keypresses) input sequences that no human can perform naturally.

Just embrace what you are.

1 Like

Multiboxing is pay 2 win cheating. If WoW ever went f2p you rats would be banned.

2 Likes

Piknyx said what I was thinking. /shrug

To the point where I completely abandoned my original response because what he said was that on-point.

1 Like

there is no logical reason to hate a multiboxer

people who hate multiboxers are probably people who also hate rich people.

you whine that someone can and does do/have more than you.

2 Likes

There are plenty of reasons. Taking up spots in a BG (and possibly making it harder to win), too much competition for tags (and you can’t group with them most of the time to share tags) for quests, little to no chance to even survive in a single global, etc.

Uh… yeah, there’s a lot of good reasons to hate rich people. Not all rich people, but enough of them got rich in a capitalist society by hurting others.

I don’t think praising people for spending more money is appropriate.

2 Likes

Multiboxing is not pay to win, and that’s all I have to say about that.

1 Like

It’s P2W in certain areas. For example, if all you care about is winning in world PvP. It’s just not strictly P2W.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but in regards to your first point follow is broken in BGs so multiboxers would be rendered useless for the most part.

Yeah, for sure. I’m just talking about historical reasons - follow is broken in Classic too.

To make money? They are a business. I don’t see any movement against charging for server transfers.

Having two characters in the world at once uses twice the resources. So makes sense that it would cost twice as much.

Tell that to the 3 dps when I tank and heal a dungeon. They sure seemed happynI came along and do what I do.

Because dismounting sets a global and you need to wait to use an ability. That is how the game is designed in Classic. Not sure what that has to do with Multiboxing though. Might as well argue that you can’t walk through walls or spawn perfect loot tables. Bit silly.

Multiboxing undermines the entire MMO genre, but aside from that it’s highly disruptive to the playerbase. Whether it’s economic advantages or PvE/PvP advantages, the fact remains that mutliboxing is a pay2win style of gameplay that affects all players, especially those behind the financial gatekeeper of affording to multibox themselves.

It’s never been a question of “is it automation”. It’s a question of “is it good for the game”. By and large, it is not good for this game or any other MMO title.

2 Likes

Multiboxing kinda cringe /:

stop trying to justify botting

2 Likes

In what ways? broad statements don’t provide any support to the claim. In my opinion for a game to be an MMO there just has to be a lot of people able to play the game on a generated platform.

I think it’s more of a case by case basis as to how each case should be handled and viewed.

P2W is not an inherently bad thing. Not everyone places the same values on the same things. I think PVP is blah and pointless, yet there are other people that relish it.

Once again, it’s about priorities and everyone doesn’t have the same disposable incomes. Take two people, one person bought a brand new car and the other chooses to use their feet. So should the person that chose not to have the burden of car related bills feel bad that they are using that money for something else?

I’ll use myself as an example.

Two WoW accounts costs me 30 dollars a month.
I suppose I could have 1 WoW account, 1 Spotify account, and 1 Netflix account. I think even going with the basics, it would still cost me more than two WoW accounts.

Not everyone has the same financial situations. Those that have more should not be guilt tripped into feeling bad because someone doesn’t have as much as they do and they choose to use it. Nor should people that don’t have the extra disposable income try and guilt trip people because they do have more.

1 Like

It’s not vague at all. MMO = massively MULTIPLAYER online. Mutliboxing removes the multiplayer aspect of the game, which is the cornerstone of the genre. Cooperative gameplay is the draw of an MMO over playing a traditional, single player RPG game. Mutliboxing works to transform this cooperative play into a single player experience, thereby undermining the entire genre.

Whether it’s attempting to compete with them to farm PvE, in PvP, or economically, the compounding efficiency of a mutlibox over a single player is disruptive to anyone not also multiboxing.

WoW is already a pay2play game with a pretense of giving players full agency within their chosen class to play the game. This player agency over the game world expands as you add party members and cooperate as a team to tackle the content. Being able to pay more money and run more accounts to bypass this element of the game is not a healthy pay2win structure.

It’s about the integrity of the game. By your logic, why shouldn’t Blizzard sell gear for RMT? Why shouldn’t all game rewards also be available as MTX? The game is a grind, it’s a representation of time investment, and throwing more money at the game to bypass investment undermines not just WoW, but the MMO and RPG genres as a whole. If playing the game is so unappealing that you want to pay money to bypass time investment, then the game isn’t for you.

1 Like