Multi-boxing is Botting, Change My Mind

Continuing the discussion from Actions Taken to Address Exploitative Gameplay:

Above is an excerpt from the blue post about the bot ban wave.

Multi-boxing uses gameplay automation tools to do the exact same thing. Multi-boxing or as it should be called multi-botting is acceptable by Blizzard’s standards.

In Blizzard’s eyes a single bot is worth banning while a player running around with a team of bots is completely acceptable.

If you are banning bots then all bots should be banned. Change my mind.

36 Likes

Of course its botting, its literally impossible to play more than 1 character at a time in an efficient manner without automating them.

21 Likes

Thata definitely not true. However some of the boxing software has gotten a little too sophisticated and could probably stand to have some functionality curtailed

5 Likes

But if i use the exact same or similar program that multiboxers use, to browse the internet while I press 2 in wow at the same time. I would more than likely get banned. Multi boxing is ridiculous and has been since it first started…

Oh and allowing multi boxers only helps those 3rd party gold sellers and boost.

14 Likes

it’s not botting because your inputs and only your inputs determine what your characters do at that moment. Botting would be if you’re sleeping and a program is playing your character for you.

6 Likes

I’ve leveled my warlock by mob tagging 48-60. Warlock puts up dots, then my elemental shaman blows them up. Warlock gets full XP as if the shaman didn’t help (on mobs 48+, 47 and lower take an XP penalty). I manually control both accounts on my ultrawide monitor. This means only one character at a time is acting, though the other is often on follow. So am I botting or cheating?

I suppose it would all depend on how skilled the person is at multi-boxing. Before I go into all of that, Botting if I recall reading things correctly is an automated thingy. Meaning that a player can start something up, the game plays on its own and the only player requirement is for the player to start the stuff up and the game plays itself.

Multi-boxing on the other hand requires the player to be present. If I’m multi-boxing I have to be there and use my mouse and keyboard. If I’m not there doing anything, the game is just going to have a bunch of toons just sitting there doing idle animations.

I’m a novice multi-boxer. And in my opinion depending on the classes a player chooses and their skill at multi-boxing will determine how more efficient they can play the game. From my personal experience::

1. I can deal with a single mob fine. When it comes to multiple mobs, it’s a hit or miss.

2. I find my leveling experience slower since there is an XP penalty.

3. My mule that aids me. Tends to be a liability sometimes. Sometimes I forget to make them follow me after a fight, or I am running and they draw a mob that I didn’t see.

4. When it comes to get X item from killed mobs. I have to gather twice as many. Which means that completing quests takes a bit longer.

I’m sure there are more efficient setups than what I am using. But this works for me.

I use my mouse on account one and use a keyboard for account two. Macros are not illegal to use. I have a single macro that gets my other account to follow and ready to assist my main (Which I have to manually refresh after every fight) and then I use normal keybinds for combat abilities.

If I was botting, I wouldn’t have any of those issues and would just have my characters run off and do their own thing on a set path.

2 Likes

I agree in cases where they are controlling multiple characters at a time, I really don’t see how that isn’t considered automation.

If they are just /following or having an alt sit somewhere while they blow things up on the main, there’s a bit of nuance there.

3 Likes

i’m aeve and i support this message
:+1:

you just made the case that it’s not botting by saying, “they are controlling multiple characters at a time”. Key word there is, “they”, not a bot / program.

3 Likes

A bot is automated to function without a player present

Multiboxing is controlled by a player at all times

7 Likes

Good post. For those last 5 levels you should try mob tagging. That’s where you take one character you’re trying to level, and your best 60 on the other side, but don’t party up. If your level 55 tags a mob, and then your 60 kills it, you get 100% XP as if the level 55 killed it solo. I was getting 1200 xp/kill on the warlock while my shaman blew up elite dragonkin in Azshara and trolls in Jin’thalor.

1 Like

Not a bot, no - but there’s absolutely a case for automation.

The player is ‘playing’ one character, the others are only working as they do due to a third-party tool.

1 Like

Botting is the use of a program to play automatically play a character with no input from the player once the botting program is started. Multiboxing is playing more that one character at the same time. Each move in game per character while multi-boxing requires a player at his/her computer to manually use a mouse, keyboard etc. for that move while playing. Just because you do not approve of multi-boxing does not change the definition of automation and manual control of characters in game.

3 Likes

This is the key word. Multiboxing doesnt use automation. It is allowing you to press a button in one instance of a game and mirror it in other instances of a game. Think if you have 2 Word documents open and if you spelled out a name it would duplicate the exact message on the 2nd one. Multiboxers use macros to control the other accounts. This is built into the game and is perfectly legit. Some software allow users to macro some button presses to translate into other button presses. This is also perfectly fine. Lets pretend you have no hands. Now you use a specific device that allows you to play with your mouth. This translates specific commands into controls for the game. wowhead (.) com/news=316475/interview-with-sebens-12-12-mythic-tank-who-plays-warcraft-with-no-hands

So this person isnt allowed to play under your assumption that software that allows translations of commands into a game client. This is esentially the same as multiboxing software as its translating key commands into a game instance or multiple game instances.

tldr: Multibosing is not “gameplay automation” and is only duplicating key presses into multiple clients.

5 Likes

No, you’re manually controlling each characters moves when you’re controlling the other the other is just sitting there, botting is i press X and all 120398 of my bots arcane explode. Arguing that i have to press 1 button and infinite number of characters react isn’t botting is disingenuous.

2 Likes

these posts are getting old. Qq ontop of some qQ layered with a little extra QQ and some qq sprinkles on top.

1 Like

That’s…that’s automation.

You’re not manually switching tabs and controlling each character’s rotation manually. You are using a program that automates the process.

Whether Blizzard cares about that is up in the air, but it is objectively a form of automation. Not totally botting, no - but it is automated.

8 Likes

I hope all the multiboxers just make different accounts not associated with each other on individual battle.net accounts just to keep hearing all you kids kick, scream and cry over your control issues.

2 Likes

so you’re saying a person didnt press a key on the keyboard…? you are wrong

2 Likes