MSNBC harassment online games report

haha no gw2

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t be surprised, but maybe that was the point of the article. Not identifying specific games that have a toxic playerbase, but rather the anonymity of online gaming is s petri dish for this behavior.

So I Googled it and according to the article:

Overwatch 2 had the least offensive usernames, the report said.

11 Likes

Not very informative. The percent given is meaningless without metrics and definitions. As a player of FFXIV for several years, I can tell you that the type of harrassment is different there. There is far less beligerance in duties and in general, but there is a lot of racial tension, especially surrounding those of us who play Lalafell or Hrothgar.

2 Likes

Imgur

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure the report itself would have way more information about the methodology and what the numbers mean. What we are looking at is the OPā€™s simplification down to meaningless numbers.

1 Like

M&M British Company?

What does mean MSNBC?

1 Like

I think the mistake in reading this would be reading 64% and arguing hey no itā€™s closer to 57%. Itā€™s not seeing the forest through the trees.

1 Like

You want the full version of the data

Go to Anti Defamation League website and go search up harassment on online games from 2023. This is only from one year ago.

1 Like

Iā€™d be curious as to what their statistics and data pools look like.
Response polls like this can have their numbers be particularly skewed when you donā€™t know exactly what metrics theyā€™re using to collect data.

Factor in that what people draw the line at for harassment varies from person to person and the accuracy is questionable.

How was the test performed? Was it peer reviewed? What was their sample size? What were the age ranges for each group tested for each game? All I found when I tried googling this was someone posting a screenshot from the report on a Filipino Gaming subreddit.

https://www.adl.org/resources/report/free-play-hate-harassment-and-positive-social-experience-online-games-2020

People on the subreddit with the screenshot showing your statistics pointed to this one. Is this the one youā€™re referring to? Final Fantasy isnā€™t mentioned once, but League is. Do you have the website where you received the percentages above in your initial post?

2 Likes

Itā€™s the news channel for NBC one of the largest tv broadcast networks in the U.S.

1 Like

https www adl org/resources/report/hate-no-game-hate-and-harassment-online-games-2023

This is the most recent one.

Oh and there are graphs and numbers so have at it.

Thank you for sharing the link.

I took a look at the tables, and they donā€™t seem to match up with what you posted or what the subreddit had as well.

On top of that, looking at the numbers in the study shows that the data for online harassment in 2023 is actually lower by about 4% going by their data, while WoWā€™s remained at 64%. Thereā€™s also the ā€˜Harassment of Adults, by Gameā€™ data tables, but of the 15 games they show, Final Fantasy 14 and other games are missing from that section.

It could very well be that adults face minimal harassment in the five games missing from the adult section when compared to children that they werenā€™t able to gather enough of a data to have an accurate report on that part regarding the adults.

This is a great example of how media groups will take statistics and present them in a misleading way. It might have been benign or without malicious intent, but itā€™s still spreading misinformation. :\

3 Likes

There is literally no way GTA got less than WoW
Must be with how people report or answer the poll skewing the figures.
You canā€™t hardly tell a joke on WoW without getting tattled on and in GTA every fourth or fifth lobby some kid will be lobbing capital Ns
Iā€™m calling :billed_cap:

4 Likes

MSNBC harassment online games report

No League of Legends.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Precisely that. :wink:

Iā€™m trying to find the MSNBC clip itself in their archives, but Iā€™m not having much luck. Iā€™d be curious to see how much in-depth they went into the study. Even with the full report, thereā€™s very little outside of the tables and the information they show. Thereā€™s very little mentioned from an adult commenting on WoW and FF, but thereā€™s nothing beyond him saying ā€˜I curate my experiences in both games to avoid harassmentā€™.

3 Likes

The reason why I think is because the numbers, and why MSNBC is mentioned, match with a Reddit post from 2022 that covered an MSNBC news article based on data from ADL. But the ADL article which they posted covers data from 2023.

And a huge problem I have with this is that whilst it is important to focus on a regional perspective of harassment ā€¦ most of these games donā€™t have hard lined borders. Meaning that when their sample size is of 1.971 players meant to represent the US population it doesnā€™t say much about what the actual findings are internationally. Which for a study like this, I canā€™t help but feel thatā€™s a significant oversight.

Still an interesting article butā€¦ I feel like thereā€™s holes, and that MSNBCā€™s simplification of it definitely left out relevant information but ā€¦ most folks who watch the news arenā€™t going to want to dig into the methodology of a study like this exactly. So I have no idea how one would even go about doing thatā€¦
So no idea if it would be possible to do a report like this without creating misinformation?

2 Likes

I miss when people didnā€™t give as much of a crap about this kind of stupidity and either just blocked or talked crap back.
Was a better world, despite what liars today say.

3 Likes

Looks questionable imo

For example, itā€™s widely accepted/agreed upon that League of Legends is generally a more toxic community than the WoW communityā€¦ but it isnā€™t even on the list here? :thinking:

Alsoā€¦ MSNBC, so credibility of the alleged report is in question right off the bat/without even digging into the article

2 Likes

Broā€¦

itā€™s msnbcā€¦ did you not learn from covid to NEVER trust anything the major news organizations say?

Did you forget they had doctors telling us cigarettes were healthy too?

Just stop man.

1 Like