Moving the Kaldorei off Kalimdor completes the Horde's attempt at genocide instead of safeguarding against it

I agree that Blizz probably didn’t intend malice and i am a big advocate of leaving the game whenever you’re unhappy which is why I’m never here for more than like a year solid but this line of thought as an argument, esp w/r/t lore, always feels disingenuous and dismissive.

Your payment represents a lot of things and it takes a lot for one thing to overwhelm all others. The purpose of this forum is to discuss the story and lore, good or bad, and that is what they are doing.

6 Likes

Fair enough. These things just sounded like it to me from OP’s comments.

1 Like

A capital to an entire race isn’t made by just a few people…

Boo hoo. Night elves get an entire patch dedicated to them, and a beautiful new zone. Their story has been shoved in our face for years. As if they’re the only race in the game that has been displaced. It will never be good enough for some people

1 Like

That is true, and I apologize if I came across as dismissive. I guess I get frustrated sometimes when it feels like threads turn into echo chambers.

2 Likes

What does that have to do with what I’m talking about…

You didn’t bother to read the thread at all, I see. Thank you for contributing nothing of value. If it doesn’t matter what happens to the Night Elves, don’t respond :slight_smile: Have a great day.

4 Likes

Yeah because im sure Forsaken players would’ve loved their capital being moved to Avaloren or gnome players to Shattrath lmao.

7 Likes

it just came out

it’s new

and the writing is pretty easy to evaluate as bad

i avoid the hell out of topics on new subjects that look like something i just don’t want to deal with. you’re not gonna catch me talking the main points on anything related to quel’thalas for like 3 months, lol. people are allowed to have their opinions on that stuff and I am allowed to just skip away from the topic and have a happier life.

4 Likes

I think trying to shift a conversation to the developers feelings, over what they actually GIVE US, comes off as trying to stop a discussion, not stop an echo chamber, imo.

6 Likes

My point was always to point out logistic and practical concerns which I think people tend to ignore in the moment. But you make a decent point, so I shall bow out of the thread.

1 Like

It’s incredible to me that the most of the Kaldorei writing in this game is about their destruction. From Cata with Darkshore being ravaged into their genocide with the Burning of Teldrassil, to say the Devs don’t like Night Elves is a understatement.

Genocide isn’t something most of North American understands (unless you’re an immigrant like me from a country where it’s happened or is happening) so it’s easier on the mind to say “it’s just a game” all the while glorifying and celebrating in veiled replica of said genocide with “transmogs” and “gear upgrades”.

There’s no reason not to put Amidrassil where Teldrassil is and recreate a city.

11 Likes

I think this pretty much sums up a lot of complaints I have with the story. Blizzard is sending a horrible message by basically allowing an indigenous race to be relocated by those who can be characterized as colonizers and collaborators, which does an injustice to the Horde as well as the Night Elves.

Now, I’m going to address the elephant in the room. Nothing stopped Blizzard from placing Amirdrassil on the ruins of Teldrassil. In fact, it would have been a great place to put the World Tree:

1. It would have been very easy to just update the racial start zone to get the newer Night Elves up to speed on the latest story, and then just re-purpose Darkshore to be the 11-20 zone (post-war clean up).
  2. Having the new Tree grow from the old would have been an amazing symbol of the Great Cycle of Life, Death and Rebirth as well as new life springing from destruction.
  3. And I can’t believe I have to say this for a fantasy story, but it is absolutely feasible for a new tree to actually grow from a stump. I have a crabapple tree doing just that in my front yard.

What should have happened is that the new World Tree should have been somewhere in Northern Kalimdor, not in the Dragon Isles which literally has nothing to do with Night Elves. This would have established the Night Elf ancestral home and would have made some great stories on the new/changed relationship between the Night Elves and their Horde neighbors now that the Horde actively protected Amirdrassil.

But instead we get the Horde genociding the Night Elves, and then driving them off Kalimdor, while the Forsaken get everything unwound and have all restored to them. How Blizzard thinks this is a good idea just boggles my mind. It is horrifically tone-deaf.

Everything about the Night Elf story since Afriasiabi unilaterally decided to poison the IP with this ridiculous decision to blow up Teldrassil has read like Mr. Bean trying to fix “Whistler’s Mother.” And I tried really hard to be understanding, but every narrative choice has just been, not just disappointing, but the absolute opposite of a satisfying narrative. Frankly, if this were a TV show, I would have stopped watching it, as every narrative decision has just been disappointing, or not in alignment with the “heart and soul” of what the Night Elves were established as being.

And the sad thing is, I probably wouldn’t have felt this way if the Dragon Isles were on the other side of Northrend. I didn’t need Amirdrassil to be on top of Teldrassil (though I would have liked it), but Amirdrassil should have been in Kalimdor.

I just don’t get why Blizzard would think that putting Amirdrassil in a zone that is going to be obsolete in a year was a good idea. By this time next year, The Dragon Isles is going to be “that zone you race through to get to current content” And while Teldrassil was also in obsolete content it had two things going for it: the nostalgia of Vanilla and being a racial start zone which I still feel is content that differentiates WoW from most other MMORPGs. I can only think of one other MMO where your first experiences in the game are formed by the choice of race (and yes, I am deeply disappointed in Blizzard undoing the beauty of racial start zones for Exile’s Reach – how on earth can you complain about homogenization and then homogenize the start zone experience?! But I digress…)

If the Forsaken can get their city back, and have all their “wounds” unwound - when they were instrumental in starting a punishing, meat-grinder war, why are the Night Elves exiled to a land that has nothing to do with them? And why would Blizzard think this is going to be a satisfying conclusion to a story that has been bitter from the start?

15 Likes

Evil Horde meme.
“Horde genocide”
Based on a premise that isn’t really a thing.

Conclusion, bait.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s wow… I yeah… I can’t imagine most ardent Night Elf enthusiasts being happy with that ending. Kalimdor abandoned and a new home under the shade of Amirdrassil on the Dragon Isles. Great… Just great… Worth all the lives lost to the Maw and the Burning of Teldrassil. At least they have a new home far… far… FAR… AWAY from their ancestral lands.

11 Likes

…yes. Yes that is correct. Many people are very not happy.

4 Likes

Hmm… Delaryn is there as well, standing to the side.

Anyway, Tyrande has been… clerical in the Knaak books atleast, such as during the ritual for Jarod’s wife’s burial.

2 Likes

In essence the same as everyone else’s.

Okay.

But their new home being on the Dragon Isles doesn’t mean they’re leaving Kalimdor.

Not only is there plenty of lore proving that they reclaimed their territory and are protective of it, they have access to the Dream, which means even though their capital is on the Dragon Isles, they can use the dream portals to move to the various continents. Remember, there are four Dream Portals on Kalimdor, two in the Eastern Kingdoms and one on the Broken Isles. So if the Night Elves want to move between the Dragon Isles and Ashenvale? They can do that.

And before you say “The Emerald Dream is only for Druids.” it’s clearly not, since us player characters, classes of all stripes, are roaming around there now trying to stop Fyrakk and a large number of non-druid NPCs help us in the final battle against Fyrakk’s forces before the raid starts. So clearly it’s open to all.

Their cultural identity is rooted in the land. For a culture whos existence is tied to a specific place to place their center of government and cultural center across the world is absurd and the result is still diaspora.

9 Likes