Moving the Kaldorei off Kalimdor completes the Horde's attempt at genocide instead of safeguarding against it

It makes the authors themselves look like idiots too because the lesson from Teldrassil was blunt. Malfurion was against it from the start and vindicated the entire time. Nordrassil was even being set up to be healed in 4.2 LMAO like.

Unless the entirety of night elf lore was “actually just a biased perspective” or whatever other excuse the writers use in an interview to pat themselves on the back.

2 Likes

Where do you get that with all of the constant reminders of Teldrassil we keep getting? One of the night elf customisations are Teldrassil burn scars, the souls that infuse the new Tree are another constant reminder.

2 Likes

Also yeah the night elves already do know why and how planting new World Trees has been bad.

Like I said; the new capital should either have been in Hyjal under Nordrassil or Eldre’Thalas. Maybe if they retake Eldre’thalas they’ll finally start using the arcane in large quantity again paired with the druidism of the modern-day Kaldorei society. (the arcane being why and how the Kaldorei Empire was so strong.)

3 Likes

I think attempting to reclaim imperial days of power is silly. They hate the days of their empire and how arcane fundamentally corrupted their way of life. They also don’t have a full on OG well of eternity now, just a smaller one funneling it’s energies to nature, so their arcane magic would be fairly weak.

3 Likes

Look at my first post in this topic, I am extremely tired of night elf writing at this point, I literally whine about the Emerald Dream being another magical forest every day I quest there to my friends.

The writing at the end of Amirdrassil is not hostile to Night Elves by intent, it’s apologetic and celebratory, it just makes no sense when trying to take the narrative as a whole seriously. It is written like they want it to be the final word and can sort of pretend that this ends the story and it never has to come up again, and that would make me very happy if I felt the writing was actually good enough to support that.

4 Likes

Given the present writing team is not the one that pushed the burning back in BFA I would be shocked if they did not see it as a millstone around their necks they don’t feel they deserved. That likely is why they want to avoid touching anything to do with kalimdor, narratively. They chose to turn it into their own story with Amirdrassil.

That and all the practical game development concerns I laid out before in this thread.

4 Likes

“Sorry about Teldrassil, we’re going to destroy the last shreds of your original identity people have asked to come back to WoW for about 2 decades now.”

10 Likes

I mean, in that very sentence I state it’s wrong, but that’s the tone it’s clearly aiming for.

Funny how this didn’t stop them with going back to Lordaeron twice for the Forsaken.

Im not saying you’re wrong. But their apology is exactly like that- it is more destructive to NE fantasy than the actual burning of teldrassil itself was.

8 Likes

I still don’t see how that relates to the conversation I was having that you responded to.

This is what was being discussed. That doesn’t relate to consistency.

Neither does this.

Consistent or not doesn’t make staying a good idea. Nor leaving a bad one. When I asked is it acceptable, I meant can victims not choose safety if they want? Because that idea seems to be being shamed.

When the core identity of the race is the warrior protectors of Kalimdor? Yeah it’s gonna be called out as dumb. It destroys that fantasy.

6 Likes

that was a lot less controversial. everyone was evacuated and the forsaken blew the place up themselves. they remained in control the entire time and did scorched earth tactics to prevent the Alliance capturing it, while also nearly killing most the alliance army with it as a big trap.

2 Likes

Horde players also hated that but blizz just brings them back no problem.

They put in more effort, to ensure they delivered a worse and more destructive narrative, than what the Shadowlands book and exploring Kalimdor had set up for the NEs just returning to Kalimdor. At best, that is unreasonable levels of incompetency

7 Likes

If we divorce from the narrative construct itself as well as those allies (or claimed allies), no one worth listening to would shame a victim for choosing to leave. Choosing to leave takes a lot of strength and it is a highly personal decision.

But I don’t really think anyone is taking objection to individuals as individuals making that decision as opposed to individuals as tools of a fictitious narrative artwork.

4 Likes

To highlight how awkward this transition is to their culture. They now live in an area surrounded by sunny plains when they used to live in thick forests that seemed to be in a perpetual state of twilight at its sunniest.

8 Likes

I am feeling you sense willful maliciousness where I do not think there ever was. It was poorly executed 100%. I will never say Kalimdor isn’t where Kaldorei narrative focus should be. But I also am able to step back from my annoyance and see they actually really did mean well.

It might just be one of those the road to hell is paved with good intentions sort of situations.

In an ardenweald tree that doesn’t align with any of the colors or styles of NE culture to boot.

Their intentions mean nothing to me. Forsaken got their fantasy respected and embraced in a single questline made at the same time as ours and this patch, and we get 0 of that same respect. They’re either maliciously trying to overwrite the identity of the NEs or don’t respect it enough to try to be consistent to it.

11 Likes

It would appear to me then that the best thing you can do is vote with your wallet and refuse to pay them for content you find offensive, no? You are kinda screaming into the void at the moment.

Indeed. Which is why I don’t remain consistently subbed and just come back to see these things in hopes they’re better now, or if there are RP things actively going on.

But that statement comes off as desiring no dissenting opinions present lmao.

5 Likes

False dichotomy, the Horde/orcs don’t have to be genocidal conquerors with their eye on Northern Kalimdor.

10 Likes