Moving the Kaldorei off Kalimdor completes the Horde's attempt at genocide instead of safeguarding against it

Yes, as a person whose people have been victims of genocide, this is an especially important topic for me.

9 Likes

And that’s understandable. I think an issue is understanding what are feelings versus the reality. Those feelings can matter to the conversation. We should consider the impact of storytelling on people. But trying to present them as the reality makes some of the claims seem overblown.

But well said, good perspective.

I think he’s saying if the option is safety or being killed in the future, they should pick safety.

Which idk, the invasion was so bizarrely written I don’t think being on the Dragon Isles is much safer.

Yes but given this a fictional narrative the writers have complete control over, they can write for the Kaldorei to pick their identity AND write that the Horde never commit genocide again.

And also, imagine if we told victims of genocide "Well maybe you should just move away from your ancestral home where all your rituals are centered and your ancestors are buried. You’ll be safer :slight_smile: "

Forced assimilation or assimilation due to fear of being persecuted is a type of genocide.

If a culture ceases to exist as a consequence of violence, even if ethnically the people continue to exist, that is a form of genocide.

8 Likes

Same here and it just turns my stomach, because in real life we are told to forgive and forget. Just move forward and of course just accept peace at any price cause greater evils out there and you’re lucky you and your family survived. Most people don’t want to just survive, we want to thrive, our cultures, languages and history to continue more so, we want something to be proud of and when your lands are taken, your people broken and even in a fictional game, they show this paternalistic view that - People who suffer genocide have to be peaceful! You guys have to accept that you have to move, you have to make peace!!! Accept they stole your lands, murdered your families, but they’re sorry and it’s mean to hold any resentments. That’s not what the world wants. Literally the game implies that the GOD of the Night Elves and her sister the GOD representing death and rebirth want everyone to just let go. Man, I can see why so many went with the Primalists and the Druids of the Flame.

11 Likes

To be fair, Elune has always let them do what they want, even if it means moving away from her. See: Kaldorei Empire. So if Tyrande and Malfurion got this gift from Elune and mistakenly think Elune wants them to move from Kalimdor, Elune will not stop them from doing so - even if it ultimately pushes them away from her.

I agree. But I don’t think he considers the Horde not genociding again as a realistic possibility.

Isn’t that why refugees are offered asylum elsewhere? So they’re safer. I mean yeah, that seems preferable to dying if you’re not a combatant. I don’t know if “please stay and die” is something I’d suggest.

1 Like

I am very familiar, but this is preferable than their extinction… you know, on a genetic level.

Giving refugees help is one thing, telling them to give up when they’re not is another. In general, the person who needs help dictates whether or not what you’re doing is helpful.

5 Likes

How did that end? The Kaldorei constantly get humbled by Elune, by the Horde, by everyone. I get your point she may not care per se, but she does have a vindictive side, and her actions don’t always align with her rhetoric and that of her priesthood implies about her. I just feel like Night Elves being forced to move away from Kalimdor and how Tyrande killed the Druids of the Flame or just elves listening to such apostasy says so much of how we as players should find acceptable.

The only way - Is this narrow way. YOU can’t question Elune and defy Tyrande. You can leave, but there will be consequences especially if you subvert the gifts of your goddess. I get they’re in the wrong and are basically arsonists with no hope or little hope in attaining some version of their former glory. That doesn’t mean Tyrande should be mowing them down. How about imprisoning them? Showing them they’re in the wrong without more Kaldorei dying?

Is it though?

The Night Elves were going to lose Kalimdor eventually.
The only question was were they going to survive it or not.

How could it not?

Because maybe they’re just as bad as each other, or maybe it’s sadder to see them be a shell of what they once were. It’s not appropriate to say one form of genocide is preferable to the other.

I would prefer they leave, recover their strength rather than choose to die for some moral point or lesson

If Blizzard actually writes the Horde as successful in reforming their society so that they aren’t an existential threat to the Kaldorei. Or if they write the Alliance in actually DOING something to protect the Night Elves or take military action against the Horde and dismantle their army (never going to happen, so the first option is the only one).

AGAIN, Blizzard has narrative control.

7 Likes

How has that worked for victims of genocide historically?

2 Likes

There is no reforming possible, even if it was, its not a permament solution. The only thing that would be safeguarding the NEs would be Horde’s good grace.

So either the Night Elves submit to the Horde and live as a client state. Or get occupied by the rest of the Alliance for protection or we dismantle the Horde completely.

Out of these three options I prefer the current solution.

They do but they have set certain precedents and based on those there are only a few limited options

That’s what we hear in the real world when it comes to Native Americans to Palestinians, etc, to pick any group on earth who are being told to leave, recover your strength and don’t die for some moral point or lesson. Just give up. At least you live longer. It’s deeply depressing for people who are often victims of genocides, ethnic cleansings and brutal colonial oppression. It just means that the only way is the master’s way. The paternalistic demand from a superior power even your own goddess wills it as her representative Tyrande says it so. Disagree? Suffer for it.

6 Likes

If people would rather live in danger or die, that’s their choice, yeah. Though not always going to be something I consider a good idea.

1 Like

I’m just wondering why this new world tree is even needed or relevant at all. Making Hyjal the capital was always an option; hell, a restoration of Eldre’thalas.

11 Likes

But they chose that. They chose to live on their own terms and die on those terms. They wish to thrive then just survive and lick their wounds allowing the injuries of genocide fester in resentment and defeat.