Moving the Kaldorei off Kalimdor completes the Horde's attempt at genocide instead of safeguarding against it

They have the goal in mind but not everything is set in stone yet. The Malfurion/Ysera plot is indicative of that.

That said, the usual 2 year lag rule applies.

1 Like

Where did I state I’m arguing? It’s my observation and feelings as I quested through. It was quite an unusual bloody site. Go fight with someone else.

I don’t think the Night elves will leave Kalimdor as long as the Forsaken are in the Eastern Kingdoms. The entire reason the Forsaken and Night elves are were they were originally was for faction balancing, and anyone who isn’t new to the game knows that status quo is god in this game. Suggesting they should go elsewhere is frankly peak stupidity. That said, that hasn’t stopped Blizzard from writing some extremely horrible takes. Same deal when ever some MHP suggests kicking the Forsaken out of Lordaeron for their trashy Deus Vult wish-fulfillment.

But you are right OP that forced population moves are in fact genocide, and moving the nelves out of Kalimdor does reward the part of the Horde that Blizzard repeatedly rubs in the players’ face as wrong and unHordelike. If they do decide to move the Nelves out of their homeland, we can call the story arc the trail of tears.

7 Likes

Doesn’t seem like much of a problem to me.

Dragon isles ensures that the Horde wont be an existential threat to the NEs. This was a major problem if the NE’s remained in Kalimdor.

Everything surrounding this patch is dumb on every level but at least it is solving a real narrative issues.

The other solution was to dismantle the Horde which was never going to happen.
If the frothing at the mouth monsters are going to remain where they are then the Night Elves have to move elsewhere. The math checks out.

I think this puts to bed the convenient lie that Teldrassil was Afrasiabi and not Danuser.

To salvage this Blizzard need to make the 10.2.5/10.2.7 or 10.2.9 patches about the Night Elves finding some evidence of life on Teldrassil. Having us visit numerous Kalimdor settlements for aid and ending in us cultivating at least some level of life back there. Even if we just regrow Shadowfen and make it suitible for habitation. Something to show that Night Elves aren’t essentially being narratively imprisoned on the Dragon Isles - A buttpull of a continent with no history or canon prior to this expansion.

15 Likes

Listen, I know the Orcs had it rough with having to leave their world, but invading Kalimdor and slaying Night Elves to try and conquer their territory ending with the Night Elves leaving Kalimdor and settling on the Dragon Isles doesn’t sit right with me.

15 Likes

My thoughts on this have been pretty straight forward. If the Night Elf capital is not on Kalimdor, then the Forsaken capital shouldn’t be in the Eastern Kingdoms either.

12 Likes

Nor it should it, but telling a good story doesn’t mean everything ends on a happy moral note.

The Night Elves lost and the Horde won their bloody struggle. The Night Elves are going somewhere safe for now and who knows maybe in couple generations they will reconquer what’s theirs.
And the story continues, all good stories need drama and conflict.

At least now their survival wont depend on the Horde

I don’t see how it does any such thing.

The same common tropes that infuriated NE fans are still in this latest patch.

There is nothing is different. Losing leaders, losing fights, only capable of killing each other rather than real enemies like… the Horde.

The same issues that were present in BFA were present in cataclysm, shadowlands and now DF

3 Likes

That doesen’t prove that one and only one person is responsible for all the anger-making decisions. That strikes me as far too simplistic. To annoy this many people, you need a whole team of annoyers!

1 Like

True, i think i misunderstood the person you were quoting

The Night Elves are not leaving Kalimdor. There is no evidence that they are leaving Kalimdor. Literally, none.

In fact, the latest lore we have of what is happening in Kalimdor reveals that the Night Elves retook all their territory in Darkshore and Ashenvale, and even took some territory from the Horde.

This is complete nonsense.

Now if, by some random chance, it turns out that the doomsayers and fools claiming the Elves are leaving Kalimdor is right, which, again, there’s no evidence supporting that they are. Then we can have a proper discussion about the message that sends. But until that happens, all you’re basing your entire argument off of is doomsaying headcanon, and that’s not good enough.

2 Likes

You mean like me, Alexstrazsa, Thrall, Lor’themar, Voss, Shandris, Tyrande, Kalec, and everyone else as Thrall throws his axe so hard that it deflects the boss’s god level axe?

Danuser was literally a quest designer at the start of BFA. He had no say over the creative direction of the storyline.

He did not get promoted to a position where he could influence the narrative until after 8.1.5 dropped.

1 Like

Replying to OP to address a general thing rather than any one particular post.

No one’s into ‘playing a victim’.

• The story from a realistic standpoint is depicting a successful genocide.
  • I think there has been some overstatement of how well-received some of the other content for other races has been, I saw those complaints live.

I struggle to care about this personally because it needs realism to work, and WoW has rarely had genocide really mean anything if the target is a playable race. Losing a player hub like Teldrassil has a great effect because easily accessible locations within this game make for meaningful presence of cultures in this game, but that damage was already done. I’m tired of night elf content and my expectations are extremely low that more content performed as a reaction to player reactions here are going to get any of us what we want. Night Elves have not been the center stage of their plans (and I don’t think at this point they could get away with making them so, if any of us even wanted that) so they just keep getting tacked on badly as a side piece over and over again. It’s like the narrative equivalent of a project deadline getting extended by 1 month a dozen times rather than gritting their teeth and adding a year up front – time taken is the same, but the quality will be vastly inferior in most cases.

But no one’s playing a victim, we all just have different interests and I think we’re mostly agreed that the 10.2 story has served none of those interests well.

Right now we’re in the position where most of us are dying of thirst watching people drown in sea water. The sea water… wouldn’t actually help the dehydration, but it manages to add both literal and metaphorical salt to the wounds.

4 Likes

A Nelf fan of all people saying I’m into “playing the victim” because I dared to suggest the Death race should have had some screentime and development in the Death expansion that was entirely set in the literal afterlife system from which necromancy and domination magic originated is actually peak comedy

U guys have been doomposting nonstop for the last 7 years, saying the writers hated you with a passion, saying your race will definitely go extinct and might as well be removed from the playable cast, saying you’ll never make it out the streets of Stormwind city, saying the Horde would soon reconquer Darkshore and Ashenvale, saying Fyrakk would burn Amirdrassil down, etc

Yes Amirdrassil should’ve been in Kalimdor and it is perfectly valid to be upset over this, yes other races still have it worse than the Nelves, no the writers don’t hate you, give me a damn break

7 Likes

I am not 100% sure where this idea we abandoned kalimdor is coming from. The heritage quest sucked, but it did at the bare minimum show the Kaldorei purging demonic influence and restoring a moonewell in felwood. I do not imagine the Kaldorei would be pushing into those regions if they did not have the manpower in their traditional holdings.

11 Likes

Idjits.
/10