Moving the Kaldorei off Kalimdor completes the Horde's attempt at genocide instead of safeguarding against it

Than ignore it and stop complaining about it

Source? Because Tyrande, Malfurion, and just about every other Kaldorei NPC calls it their new home.

4 Likes

Multiple times. Just go to the Garden of Secrets questline again from the Valdrakken Renown.

[quote=“Madhronir-wyrmrest-accord, post:180, topic:1711985”]
I don’t see a problem here,

The read the thread and my responses explicitly call out why it’s a problem.

The Kaldorei have been used as punching bags since cataclysm and the only playable race in the MMO that has suffered a genocide while being playable and lost their home. You can look at the map right now and the alliance is still down a capital city. The night warrior plotline was pointless and that was basically the only plot their got in BfA and Shadowlands. It was clear even in BfA they had no plans for the Kaldorei after 8.1 when they said “the night elves got their revenge”, and if people didn’t complain about how horrible the 8.1 intro quest was the horde would probably have running death camps in darkshore and the night warrior power would have been much weaker and more pointless than it ended up being.

Amirdrassil doesn’t even bless the kaldorei but was grown from night elves souls, it just blesses the dragons so they can talk about their family (now that they have their powers back of course), while the dragons didn’t help out the night elves before during or after their genocide. The only thing the night elves do this patch is filling out red shirt npc roles and using Tyrande to kill disgruntled night elves, is make a moonwell under Amirdrassil and probably move to the middle of the ocean if this is their new capital, they even just removed Malfurion from the dream patch so Ysera can do nothing.

If this isn’t their new capital and seat of power that would be good, otherwise moving them to the middle of the ocean on the other side of the world away from Kaldimdor and Ashenvale is probably one of the worst things they can do.

2 Likes

Their homeland isn’t changing. Only their capital, and I don’t know if you’re aware of this genius, but this is a fantasy world, meaning real life norms do not apply.

In the real world, yes, leaving your homeland and creating a capital outside of it is a bad thing. Generally speaking when you leave a region to start again, you can’t just magically go back to where you came from and hold onto that territory. In fact, in all the times that happened in history the reason why they moved is because a stronger military force kicked them out, and that same military force is what is preventing them from returning.

But this is Azeroth. We have portals, teleportation, ships that can pass through space and time, the Emerald Dream. And on top of that, there is no military force that is forcing the Night Elves off their land. Quite the opposite in fact, the Night Elves forced the Horde off their land (with the exception of Splintertree Post and the Warsong Lumber Camp).

The Night Elves are not leaving Kalimdor.
There is no evidence supporting the idea that they are.
There is even lore, in the Night Elf heritage quest chain, that cements the idea that the Night Elves are going to be attempting to purify the tainted areas of their lands in Felwood.

So stop with the melodrama and turning a pebble into Mount Everest.

From what I read, your reasoning is quite limiting.

Night Elves have lost Teldrassil permanently, thats about it, the other lands they either didnt lose or reconquered, but the Inhabitants of Darnassus have been living in Stormwind.

They now have a new territory outside of Kalimdor, but they still have all their lands in Kalimdor, no one ever said they were leaving Kalimdor, you didn’t give enough reason for them to having a pot of land in another place to be a bad thing. Kaldorei locating themselves and creating communities around other world trees isn’t unheard of.

And even if Amirdrassil becomes the new capital, that still doesnt reduce their presence in Kalimdor.

Again, Amirdrassil is the home of the Darnassian refugees, thats it, their new home, but the remainder of the Kalimdor population remains there.

2 Likes

Every instance of NPCs calling it a home calls it “a home for our people” or “our home”. Tyrande and Malfurion call it their home. There is no qualifier that this is just a home for refugees. And refugees living away from their homeland are still in diaspora.

7 Likes

The dialogue of the characters outright disagrees because it’s said multiple times in the Garden of Secrets storyline that it is. Even in this patch they act like they literally have no other home and think the fire druids are denying them a right to a home.

6 Likes

There is no reasoning with these people.

I’ve seen their type before. You can present all the lore evidence that the Night Elves aren’t leaving and somehow, in their minds, none of that matters because it’s clear that they’re 100% going to leave Kalimdor, and no amount of concrete evidence will convince them otherwise.

It’s probably best to just let them whinge in their corner until they get tired and go for a nap.

1 Like

How Blizzard actually feels is kind of irrelevant, though I think discussing ‘hate’ is usually unhelpful – you’re talking about broad cartoon concepts across many writers.

What I would say is that…

• There are several races that Blizzard is uninterested in for the most part. I’m not sure I’d consider gnomes one. I’d love for us to get more depth than we do, but by playerbase numbers there’s little reason for us to have gotten Mechagon and yet we did. Chromie is a major player in the current expansion. We’re mostly written like jokes, but joke is part of the core concept so that’s not a huge problem. Worgen does seem like it’s pretty irrelevant to the interests of Blizzard devs altogether otoh. The fact that we’re jokes probably relates to why over the years we’ve fared better than almost any other Alliance race – it is easy to write silly jokegnome into a situation that wants for a comedic moment. We don’t represent huge narrative loads and expectations which the company wants to meet.
  • There are other races that Blizzard is interested in but has specific interests at odds with those of the fans, to the point that the Blizzard interest is effectively if unintentionally hostile to the player interest. Forsaken, Orcs, Night Elves all go here where they have often featured in content but not in ways that please players.
  • All Blizzard writing interest is heavily centered on characters rather than cultures, something visible going back to WC3 and consistent throughout. We can consider Vanilla to be something of a lull while they fleshed out the setting. The idea of having back-up characters for a culture to have representation beyond their prime candidate just doesn’t happen and allows cultures to be narratively decapitated. No one suffers from this worse than the Forsaken, literally no one No one suffers from this worse than the Forsaken and the Darkspear.
5 Likes

Yes it does. They can’t get back there easily, and let’s look at Wolfheart where the sentinel had to try to fly back to Darnassus to get help because of the horde’s invasion. You can’t just fly across the world to get help. Also darkshore is still a blighted ruin, and losing Teldrassil and moving the bulk of their population and their leadership to the middle of the ocean already greatly diminishes their presence in Kalimdor.

1 Like

Quick question, can you clarify the specific aspects of their culture you believe that they’re losing with Amirdrassil becoming their capital?

Honestly, I think Valeclaw can put it into words better than I can and I’ve asked him to reply to your post.

They’re a civilization that rebuilt itself around a druidic mentality connecting them to their homeland of Kalimdor and service to it, which was like a cultural bedrock for roughly 10,000 years of history. Essentially the primary pillar of their way of life that they made an entirely new way of life around after their empire’s corruption drowned half of ancient Kalimdor.

This actually is explicitly a part of Kalimdor- the dragons even made that a part of their blessings on Kalimdor. Ysera said:

“To the night elves, who have lost their hopes, I give forth the ability to Dream again. To Dream, to Imagine, for in that is the best hope of rebuilding, of recovering, of growing… And to those who follow the path of one held special by me - and mine - I grant him and the other druids to come the path into the Emerald Dream, where, even in their deepest sleep, they may cross the world, learn from it, and draw upon its own strength… the better to guide Kalimdor’s health and safety throughout the future.” - Ysera’s blessing upon Nordrassil at the end of the War of the Ancients and the Great Sundering of Azeroth."

Being the guardians and guides of Kalimdor’s future is a massive part of their cultural identity, even if they’ve sometimes gone about it the wrong way like Fandral in seeking the powers back through means of hubris and heresy. It is the bulk of their Warcraft 3 persona: militant guardians of the land so attuned to it that they bring it’s own power to bare in it’s protections, willing to blow up their own souls and immortality to protect their lands. IRL, people with spiritual ties to their surroundings lose a lot of cultural stuff when moving. You can imagine the extent to which this effects a people to attuned to their land they they’re content to continue serving it in death and okay with the idea of kamikaze’ing their own souls on enemies who threaten those lands.

8 Likes

Good thing they’re not leaving Kalimdor and will continue to do that then.

So they lose nothing.

1 Like

Go play the dang questlines already instead of pretending the dialogue in them just didn’t happen lmao.

8 Likes

Are all the Night Elves really moving off Kalimdor? What lore or dev said that?

Please leave this thread alone. You’re contributing nothing of value and just upsetting yourself by reading our post, apparently.

6 Likes

It might not be a good idea, but they should have established 3 capitals and not put a huge bulk of the survivors in one location:

1. Nordrassil - Cultural Capital
  2. Eldre’thalas - Civilian Capital
  3. Amirdrassil - Druidic Capital