Mount count for achievement not updating

The mount count for the achievement “No stable big enough” is not updating properly. I had 345/350 last week and got two new mounts, Xinlao and Drake of the South Wind. The count (on ALL my characters) remains the same at 345/350. According to the Armory, my paladin (blacksmith) has 347/350. My other toons have from 343 to 346. This happened before, the achievement only updated when the character being tracked (my pally in this case) actually learned a new mount himself (Xinlao and Drake of the South Wind were learned on other toons). GM response was the typical copy/paste and was of no help.

Forums posted using a long dead toon, Foehammerii is my main, pally/blacksmith.

The mount total is based on the number of mounts that can be used by a single character (not account). That means you have to find the character that can use the most mounts and log into them after learning a new mount, so the count will update (providing the mount learned would be available to that toon).

For me, it’s my paladin. Your mileage could vary.

Edit to add: things that can increase how many mounts a single toon might know:

• Profession only mounts
  • Class only mounts
  • Faction only mounts

Those ones especially can alter who can ‘know’ the most mounts out of your toon list.

1 Like

As I said in the original post, the count was 345/350 on the achievement on ALL characters. After getting two new mounts, the count didn’t change. The new mounts are usable by ANY and ALL characters, so the count should have increased to 347/350.

Did you log to all characters to see if the count updated after you learned your new mounts?

If you did, and the count still didn’t update, then it’s likely a display issue, or a bug. Display can be checked via a UI Reset. Bug… well, you’re already here :slight_smile: It’s just usually, folks misunderstand how the achievement tracks.

Logged in with all my characters, all had the same count, 345/350 (even though the individual counts for those characters ranged from 343 to 347). Reload ui on each character changed nothing. Did a count on my pally and he does have 347 usable mounts in his collections tab.
The count on the Armory is correct for all my toons (all on Echo Isles).
Foehammerii 347
Foecleaver 346
Grayhame, Glormara, Ringmule, Tattertot, Foeshadow 345
Kwai 343

After trying a few possible solutions (none of which worked), I went out and bought a mount from the AH (dune scavenger, good price too). I sent it to my pally and had him learn it. The count for the achievement went from 345 to 348 (which is what it should be).
So it seems the achievement is not making a recount on all the characters on your account when a new mount is added, only recounting the number of usable mounts for the character “learning” the new mount. Should be an easy fix. :slight_smile:

Good to know. Next time I get a chance, I’ll test this out. I learn most of my mounts on my warrior here, but she doesn’t have the most usable mounts - that’s my pally. If I were to get the bug, that would be the perfect set up for it.

This is a long-standing, widely reported on issue, along with the Exalted Reputations counter bug.

What it’s currently theorized to be is a discrepancy of class-counted mounts not shifting the counter. So, if you’re on a Paladin for example, will all 7 available Argent/Class Hall/Class mounts, and earn 2 mounts, your counted will be bumped from 200>202.

However, when attempting to earn a new mount on a Shaman (who has a single class mount), the counter won’t budge. It may not even budge for over 5 new mounts.
When swapping back to your Paladin and earning a mount, this sometimes also leads to a stuck counter, regardless that you’re on the highest-mount-count character.

How this was normally fixed was by simply logging into your highest-mount-count Class (Paladin). That no longer works due to the above, and is the main source of the issue.

The game SHOULD be doing a recount of usable mounts for each character when a new mount is learned, by any character. The highest count being applied to the achievement. But as far as I can tell, it is only doing a recount for the character that actually ‘learns’ the new mount. The only way to get an accurate count for your achievement is to ‘learn’ a new mount on the character with the highest number of usable mounts.

For those struggling to understand why sometimes the achievement does not increase, after some testing I came up with these findings:

Let’s start with a simple scenario where on your account you have a rogue and a warrior and both have 10 mounts. No unique or exclusive mounts present, both characters can use 10 mounts.

You can check on Statistics > Gear > Mounts owned that both characters have 10 mounts.
You can check on the mounts Achievement that you have 10 mounts.

Now let’s pretend you got a gladiator mount on your rogue, which currently is exclusive to the rogue.
At this precise moment, the rogue mounts owned will go to 11.
The warrior mounts owned stays 10.
A script will run for your Mount achievement progress and check, is the mounts owned of this character (the rogue) greater than the current progress? Yes, because 11 > 10, so update the achievement progress also to 11.

So current status is
Rogue mounts owned: 11
Warrior mounts owned: 10
Achievement progress: 11

Now let’s pretend you got a mount on your warrior, but not an exclusive one.
At this precise moment, the warrior mount goes to 11.
The rogue mounts goes to 12.
A script will run for your Mount achievement progress and check, is the mounts owned of this character (the warrior) greater than the current progress? No, because 11 is not > 11, so DO NOT update the achievement progress.

So current status is
Rogue mounts owned: 12
Warrior mounts owned: 11
Achievement progress: 11

THAT’s why sometimes you will get a mount but not see an increase on the achievement tracker!

Now let’s pretend you got a mount on your rogue, but not an exclusive one.
At this precise moment, the rogue mount goes to 13.
The warrior mounts goes to 12.
A script will run for your Mount achievement progress and check, is the mounts owned of this character (the rogue) greater than the current progress? Yes, because 13 is > 11, so DO update the achievement progress to 13.

THAT’s why you sometimes will get ONE mount but see an increase of 2 on the achievement tracker!

So if you want to “fix” your achievement progress, you just need to get a mount on any character where their mounts owned is bigger than the current achievement progress.

While Blizzard support article (https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/4738) do say that you can log on other characters to trigger an update, I didn’t experience that working reliably.
Only by getting a mount on a given character where their mounts owned was bigger than the achievement progress that I saw the achievement being updated all the time.

Give that a shot.