@ Motion Sickness Folk

That said, imo, the biggest stop to motion sickness for me personally has been using a high refresh rate monitor with framerate optimized settings.

I cannot go back from using a 240hz monitor, as it’s helped so much.

1 Like

Oh sure, just go out and spend $400 on a new monitor, why not, we are all made of money right?

5 Likes

Dramamine.

Semper Fi! :us: :ukraine:

1 Like

Okay then don’t. The OP was giving advice, if you can’t afford the advice then find different advice.

4 Likes

some people are not as tight though and this advice might help them. Sometimes you cant expect a personal problem to be resolved by a 3rd party and need to take steps to help yourself.

It’s an AW2518HF 1080p240 monitor I got on sale for $250 like 3 years ago.

I pair it with a used R9 Fury Nitro GPU I got for $100 during the last mining crash at the end of 2018. Had to completely service that card myself repasting and repadding it, as it was toast thermal throttling at half speed initially… now it hits 1100MHz at under half fan speed.

Sooo yeah I’m not mr. money bags. I’m using an initially “toasted” GPU I got for pennies on the dollar from a cryptominer that isn’t even getting driver support anymore. But it does run WoW solid and supports freesync @ 1080p240 thru its DisplayPort connection.

Anyways, unrelated bare PCB pic of the R9 fury nitro during the repasting session: https://imgur.com/a/Gmsp86u

You do know people around here play this game on toasters right?

Well, whatever they do, they gotta get framerate up even if it means sacrificing some settings.

The severity of motion sickness gets worse with lower framerates.

I’m not sure why you think a higher refresh rate is going to suddenly make me not get sick from a moving background. Lol.

This isn’t exactly a video game exclusive thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad it worked for you though, but there’s all sorts of motion sickness with all sorts of triggers.

For instance, one of my triggers in real life is if I read in the car. Even just glancing at my phone while the car is moving (I don’t drive, before someone says dont look at your phone while driving lol) can make me nauseous.

7 Likes

I had several folk in my guild with motion sickness in WoD, and as I recall Grimrail wasn’t what messed them up, it was Hans’gar and Franzok.

1 Like

For me it’s a fast turning camera that’s choppy (Which gets exponentially worse with lower fps). 60 fps solid isn’t enough for me actually. I get sick unless it’s triple digits. This rules out quite a few games with a mandatory 60 framecap…

For me it’s when I turn the in-game camera that the nausea hits me.

To help give an example:
Essentially makes most games on the N64 unplayable for me (Ex: Goldeneye & Zelda). Also original Skyrim. The outliers being Kirby 64 and Starfox 64 giving me zero motion sickness due to being on rails. Moving background, but not turning crazy fast.

YMMV, but I’ve found higher framerates (uncapped on a 60hz monitor won’t cut it, needs to actually be fluid on the display) to make player camera turning around more fluid has helped me with this specific kind of motion sickness.

I’ve vomited before from motion sickness w/ games, so I feel for all the people with a similar issue.

The issue is that this is a problem with a dungeon that some people are purposely voting for to troll others and there are problems with it. While it’s nice to get some advice that might help a few, it doesn’t solve the issue with the dungeon.

I didn’t vote for Grimrail Depot because it has the same issue Sanguine Depths has… which many others to this day moan and cry about.

Small corridors don’t play nice with some m+ affixes.

1 Like

Anyone remember when games used to come with warnings listing potential problems and people would actually acknowledge them? The biggest two being epilepsy and motion sickness. . .

Now it’s like “Hey, if you’re allergic to peanuts, don’t eat peanuts.” “YOU CAN’T TELL ME WHAT I CAN’T DO, PEANUTS SHOULD JUST BE MADE THAT I CAN’T BE ALLERGIC TO THEM!”

3 Likes

What an extremely nonsensical and disrespectful comment to make.

Take a step back and reevaluate what you just said, because it doesn’t even remotely apply to this.

You just compared apples to shoes. Someone who might get motion sickness sometimes is nowhere near the same as someone with a freaking deadly allergy.

Good times were had when people peer pressured me to keep playing Goldeneye til I vomited from motion sickness. :upside_down_face:

No, it’s incredibly relevant. If you suffer from something, don’t do things that aggravate it. This isn’t a hard concept to grasp.

I did, thrice actually. Maybe you should evaluate what I said.

“Hey, this causes problems for you, don’t do it.” is the same in both. It’s an apple to an apple. Just because you don’t like me telling you the simple truth doesn’t mean you can outright lie and say it isn’t relevant.

2 Likes

Oh God, I couldn’t imagine that mess. Especially with the REALLY jank camera controls.

this is great advice.

It’s almost like Grimrail Depot is going to be one of the M+ dungeons and due to the way M+ rating works, people who actively do play M+ won’t have a choice or they’ll miss out on a ton of M+ rating and possibly lose out on groups over it.

1 Like