Most clown moment in the lore?

Lets be real, Shadowlands story & ‘lore’ as a whole was a clown moment in the grand majority of lore. :unamused:

Their retcons and story-changes basically fapped & ejaculated on the long-established & respected lore before taking a dump on it, and claiming it as a birthday cake ’Spectacular and shining!' to the community.

Them $#!%%!ng on various favourite lore aspects in the game, is why I and a few others that I knew had quit the game for a long period.

3 Likes

Man, how did I predict the future…

Yes it’s so stupid and not at all interesting that’s why you just happen to have a greatest hits mixtape all lined up in the car stereo soon as you pick me up huh.

I thought that it wasn’t that the nelves didn’t know about the path through felwood, it was that they didn’t have the manpower to guard it?

1 Like

The problem with BFA is that you can excuse some plot contortions to make the story work… but everything was twisted like a pretzel to make Shadowlands work. A story so stupid that I’m still not sure why Zovaal was doing anything.

Like, the payoff for genocide, character assassination, and untold collateral idiot ball damage was Shadowlands. Sheesh.

13 Likes

What about this one?

Draenor is free!

Going from tyrant to revolutionary in a day really made many oddly forgetful.

13 Likes

Definitely. Couldn’t have said it better myself. For me, the most clown moment was a tie between this and…

“I am my scars!”

That whole cinematic underneath the cringe. It was an angsty teen’s revenge fantasy about killing their mother/teacher/priest… but in cinematic form.

That Naaru was SO dangerous she got one-shotted by a half-elf/half-demon who got knocked on his butt by a random Pit Lord. If we see her again, she’d TOTALLY be as dangerous as Sargeras or the Old Gods after that :laughing:. And her so-called fanatical followers literally said and did nothing after Illidan vaporized their commanding officer/guardian angel of thousands of years.

And we’re expected to believe ancient cosmic beings who can see the future aren’t as smart as younger, blind magic addicts who spent 9/10 of their lives in a small underground jail cell? Give me a break.

There’s so many clown moments, even with people’s different tastes, we can have multiple “Top 10” lists of these moments.

As for my other 9 “Most clown moments in WoW”;

Grom’s “Draenor is free!” moment where everyone sweeps it under the rug that he was a genocidal, racial supremacist tyrant… including the target group for his genocidal campaign.

The Warbringers Sylvanas cinematic. Sylvanas died because she was an archer who did a powerslide into sword’s reach of a knight while wearing bare midriff armor. It also makes it look like she burned Teldrassil and pulled an Arthas just to spite Delaryn.

Alliance and Horde leaders not immediately attacking Sylvanas when it’s clear she won’t surrender (both in the Battle for Lorderaen AND at the gates of Orgimmar).

Gallywix destroying all his documents and fleeing like a shady con-man when Sylvanas abdicates.

Geya’rah being a Sylvanas loyalist until the last minute where she suddenly switches sides. She’s not okay with people being forced to serve the Light, but she’s okay with people being forced to serve Sylvanas?

The Horde finding a secret path the Night elves (who’ve lived the land for 10000 years) didn’t know about and moving an army through it undetected.

Nathanos surviving a fight against BOTH Night Warrior Tyrande and Malfurion at the same time.

Night Warrior Tyrande having a kill-streak throughout Shadowlands… only to be stopped by Sylvanas’ plot armor.

Baine suggesting a ceasefire during the mourning of Rastakhan, who just died fighting the Alliance.

7 Likes

Okay. I’m actively playing Shadow Lands various story campaigns for the first time and I’d like to change my answer. The Kyrian continuing to just whole-sale dump souls into The Maw full well knowing that the Arbiter is broken is my new answer. For now.

I’m not sure what’s funnier. The Homer Simpson tier explanation of “Hey. It’s our job to ferry the souls, not sort them!” or the fact that it was swallowed and accepted by my little Kyrian friendo.

6 Likes

Even Derek and the other guy (the one the horde were originally after) having their flesh still on their bones after

1. Getting their ship destroyed by dragon fire
  2. Spending 20+ years under water
  3. Showing that their fellow crew mates were made into skeletons by either no.1 or from scavengers.

Is a clown moment.

9 Likes

The thing is, I’d be happy to hand waive all of that if it led to something cool.

But Derek does nothing but scream and look terrified. Hilariously he’s still got his Banshee’s Wail voicelines in Brill and like dude, you’re going to have to get used to seeing the living dead. Please stop screaming it gets the plague hounds worked up.

When he should be an awesome character. They could’ve had him all drowned corpse looking with a starfish for an eyepatch and maybe he replaces a missing arm with a big crab claw.

How do you give me essentially an undead pirate captain and instead of this;

I get the Pallid Lady’s Champion. IE Kirkland brand Nathanos but with none of the spice.

4 Likes

BfA and Shadowlands in their entirely. That aside…

“There must always be a lich king” was basically a retcon with a “but thou must” from the writers forcing their hand on the matter with zero subtlety.

Marginalizing the Defias rebellion. Heaven forbid Stormwind have any identity or depth as a kingdom. Turns out Varian could have paid for the entire city being rebuilt out of pocket, who knew being a King paid that well, or the nation’s budget was that mismanaged?

High King. Yes, lets turn a fascinating and diverse organization into a boring Blue Horde with a Warchief-lite title that spits in the face of the equality that the Alliance was founded on. Inner faction tension or GoT political stories? Nah. Oh, and it can only be held by a white male human because the writers are creatively braindead when it comes to the Alliance and MHP’s can’t handle humanity not being number one for a second. Oh. And let’s champion our special human with barely any background by discrediting established Warcraft characters to prop him up.

Retconning the Orcs into being genocidal meatheads whose first reaction to everything is a murder, pollage, and burn. I understand that some developers were bigger fans of the edgelord WC2 horde, but the majority of Horde players joined the faction because of the misunderstood monster races that just want to live in peace in the wild frontier that they saw in Warcraft 3 and that WoW first championed. The spiteful heavy-handedness Blizzard used to not only discredit Thralls Horde, but to desecrate the factions ideals was disrespectful to Horde players. The new race intros that just pretend that this retcon didn’t happen is laughable and jarring in the overall narrative.

This also ties into the hilariously tone-deaf “Draenor is free!”

Illian’s “Redemption.” I laughed out loud due to how stupid it was.

The faction war ever since WoW existed. It was good as a background low tension thing. Turning into a hot war made it a clown car of bad jokes.

9 Likes

Not everyone has the same hangups.

The way you phrase it makes it sound like it could almost work. If it was a really scummy political move where the oppressor realizes they’re on the losing side then changes team and makes it appear as if they’ve always been for revolution.

Instead though the impression I get from WoD is much like BFA and SL it was just outright missing a few chapters.

6 Likes

It was done to satisfy Blizzard’s moronic insistence that Frost DK’s dual wield. Not because Frostmourne was “too iconic”

Literally every other “iconic” weapon has been obtainable to some degree or another in WoW’s history at this point and the entire selling point of the Legendary system was to let people use iconic weapons from WoW’s past. Nowhere is it ever stated or implied that Frostmourne is simply “too important” for players to get to use. It being reforged into two blades is just a contrivance to satisfy Legion’s moronic pigeonhole class design.

6 Likes

There’s no hint that X’era had prognostic abilities. A prophecy that she most likely made up in her delusions is not “forecasting the future”.

There’s a crap ton of hints that she was a control freak utterly unconcerned about the mortals she ran over in her uncompromising crusade, and that she utterly deserved what happened to her.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m not going to change my answer again but the fact that the mawsworn connection to the forsworn was treated as a revelation is profoundly stupid.

You mean to say that the giant thicked thigh, raven-winged angel people are connected with these other thick thighed raven-winged angel people?? Gasp! How could we have known, they’re wearing spooky helmets! What do you mean their names are almost identical?

I don’t know, but Shadow Lands is so stupid it’s charming. I’m having a great time shotgunning these campaign story lines. Also, how is Helya’s survival explained, and if she’s alive is Odyn once again trapped in the halls of valor?

6 Likes

I suspect it’s more fondly remembered by Alliance players than Horde. And it also probably depends on your class. I couldn’t be bothered to even finish the mage order hall because it was just so bad.

Yeah, but it’s a crappy story, even if it’s internally consistent.

I let that one slide by because it’s so very obvious that the story was cut short and shoved into a drawer.

3 Likes

Again, if Blizzard had wanted anyone to wield Frostmourne they would have done so in Wrath. They literally made a totally new weapon that gave a “this is as close to Frostmourne as you will get” back in Wrath and in Legion instead of reforging it they just made a totally different weapon using it as a base template.

Similarly, the helm of domination, another icon of the Lich King, was destroyed rather then made usable by players.

I haven’t finished it. But I was shocked it took that many wizards any amount of time to figure the disease a 3,000 year old undead mage had was probably magical in origin.

1 Like

False.
Also, Zerde proves he is incapable of understanding that opinions can and do change over time; unless you are in fact Zerde, whose opinion hasn’t changed once since WC3.
:smug: