Most clown moment in the lore?

Oh please, if one were to ask the last best expansion of WoW, Legion would certain top them.

1 Like

Absolutely Twilight Zoned. I’d even agree Legion was better than anything that came after, but that’s in spite of all the WoD-tier crap it carried over and furthered.

3 Likes

The Horde not being dismantled after MoP.

Not that I wanted it to be, but in any legitimate and serious universe with proper world building the entity would no longer be allowed to exist, even made so painfully evident by Garrosh round 2 aka BFA. Novels portraying the races as if they are one stone throw away from going on a colonizing and aggressive warpath whenever they’d like.

The whole universe and it’s lore became a circus once they had to move to a live service and maintained a two faction split.

5 Likes

Oh, I thought you meant Blizzard maintaining what they were trying before by letting the spec be both 2h and DW. My bad.

I don’t think they would’ve dropped DW support, though. Originally they wanted it somewhere in the DK fantasy (though personally I think it sucks) and originally it only had a token talent really early in the frost tree, before a later patch added a second one deeper in.

What’s weird to me is that at the time, I remember blood and unholy fans trying to make DW work the most and the latter having to receive nerfs to stop it, so trying to make it a frost thing seemed like pushing against the grain. IIRC, the stated reason for frost trying to do both was because after WotLK, frost was the only petless 2h DPS spec the class had, but DW would constantly outperform it in PVE to the point that I guess Blizzard felt it was safe to drop it. But that seemed to cause a lot of backlash until they relented and readded it after Legion.

In terms of fantasy I will never believe that dual-wielding is cooler or makes more sense than letting them use shields.

EDIT: Nah I changed my mind

I’ll never get over how they took one of the most iconic pieces of armor in the IP, the Helm of Domination, and turned into what looked to me like an uncommon mail helm that’d drop off a random mob in Nagrand.

10 Likes

When DKs came out, I farmed two copies of the Zul’farrak 1h swords to combine into that level 40 purple 2h on my troll because I wanted to headcanon it as my alt being able to combine or split them apart on demand based on mood, like how Varian’s sword worked (though I don’t think I knew his had that property yet).

But on the whole, dual-wielding on a DK just felt wrong to me. 'Cause when I think of a frost DK, I imagined a glacier. Slow-moving, but inevitable. So that meant steady swings and JUMBO Obliterate crits. “Death by 1000 Cuts” felt more like it should’ve been a Blood thing for me, even though dual-wielding was horrible for it.

So I was disappointed to see Legion go the dual-wielding route.

4 Likes

Yeah, a one-hander and a shield fits the glacial rock shtick more and has visual precedent in Vanilla Naxx. And Sul’thraze is a troll runeblade, but not really to do with the Scourge or even the Burning Legion. If anything it’s to do with an older and less-understood form of necromancy, which to me is scarier (and should be let be).

Again I am talking mostly in a theoretical world where they did want Frostmourne as a frost weapon. Assuming they wanted it as an artifact weapon, I could conceivably see Blizzard balancing frost, at least for Legion, just using a 2h hand weapon and then after Legion go back to dual wielding.

The way I see it, Blizzard wanted a dual wielding spec for the Death knights, and thematically, both blood and unholy just looked better with a 2 hand weapon. Frost being the “newer” dk spec(the warcraft 3 death knight never having frost spells afterall) meant it would probably be better/not have the bagage of losing 2hand.

I always thought that some Night Elves look like clowns with their weird make up/face cosmetics.

Dreadlords in WC 3 looked like clowns to me. I thought they would be built up as some scary clown race.

This was Ion’s game. I could absolutely see them breaking Frostmourne to fit their vision of how Frost spec should be played, and expecting people to be happy about it.

Or again, they didn’t want 100 ARtus running around with Frostmourne.

The demand probably wouldn’t be so strong if they hadn’t given everyone Doomhammers that guards comment on and Ashbringers you can re-corrupt if you want. Or even if the one-handers looked remotely like what they were made from in any way, instead of like the ugly mount Arthas drops. Shadowmourne managed this, even Naxx drops for Vanilla warriors managed this.

I cannot say enough about Sylvanas’s line that cannot be crossed.

Because, really, come on. Dude is covered in skulls and chains in a setting that isn’t subtle visually. You’ve just helped him groom and later forcibly dominate this nice kid you know. Your plan hinges on throwing a maximum of people into the worst fate in the setting for utter destruction, using them all.

But he says serve and suddenly you’re like, “Jinkies, Scoob, Zoval might be bad!”

The stone cold heckaroonie with cheese was that. Full stop.

14 Likes

I’m still mad Blood became the tanking spec. I guess it is interesting as a style of tanking but frost made more sense in that department.

Plus I style my DK as a fallen Paladin deranged aristocrat type;

And while Unholy and Frost are both fun, it annoys me I can’t get my Elizabeth Bathory going. At least for PvP baring some new strange 3s meta.

1 Like

You’re 100% incorrect.

The point was that a very stupid dev that does not in any way deserve to be paid, or to have a job at blizzard, demanded that frost death knights dual wield because Mograine did for merely two patches, and one other unholy death knight named Thassarian also dual wielded.

inb4 zerde lies, lies, lies and says the death knight with the named skeleton pet was not unholy.

‘Mag’har’ (Iron Horde) recruitment scenario. Nothing will, for me, ever be as clownish and terrible as that.

The worgen heritage armor quest line was the biggest clown show ever for me. Nothing will ever top the sheer stupidity of that quest line

5 Likes

You do realize specs are a gameplay construct and that Death kinght characters/characters in general(like Thassarian)do not neccesarily have only one spec/or will even follow how we define classes(like Tyrande being a hybrid priest/hunter).

Second, if Blizzard had wanted people to wield Frostmourne they would have done so in Wrath when it would have been more thematically appropriate/have a bigger impact. Blizzard created an entire new legendary just to make sure you dont get to wield Frostmourne while giving it a near identical backstory.

Oh please, you lie alot more then I do. Hell, you even claimed Baine was not in Vanilla.

Was Ion even with the company at all in Wrath? Christ, that explains everything.