Most clown moment in the lore?

I don’t disagree. But the faction war stuff poisoned every aspect of BfA, so they are unfortunately tainted by that.

At least in Pandaria, I could hang out with the locals and mostly ignore the Garrosh storyline. But the writers appear to have decided they wouldn’t allow that this time, so they gated most of the expansion features behind faction war-related questing.

6 Likes

Eh. I’m pretty good at compartmentalizing. Genuinely don’t know how people can enjoy the game otherwise.

3 Likes

I have a few.

The Feral Scourge’s performance.

BfA’s faction war.

SL’s execution.

6 Likes

The Primus not knowing how domination magic works.

4 Likes

Sylvanas ripping the helm of domination in half like Hulk Hogan tearing a phone book. Sylvanamania was runnin’ wild that day, let me tell you.

6 Likes

That was the point, it was not Frostmournethus keeping the mythic status of Frostmourne(in other words, not letting every death knight walk around with it) while giving Death Knight its legacy.

I mean, Enhancement Shamans got to use Doomhammer and Retribution Paladins got to use Ashbringer, so, :dracthyr_shrug:

As for my own top clown moments in WoW… yeah, like folk have said, BfA was full of them. The War of Thorns, Battle of Lordaeron, Battle of Dazar’Alor, how the Alliance and Horde get to Nazjatar, the end of Ny’alotha… :dracthyr_lulmao:

SL has its share of clownery, though. Like, first off, everything about Zovaal/the Jailer. The Kyrian dropping off souls in the Maw even when they knew the ‘machine of Death’ was broken. Dreadlords secretly having been the ultimate 4D chess masters of reality. The ~~Crown of Wills~~. What happened to Arthas’ soul. Etc.

Then there’s the classics! Kael’thas being bonked with the Villain Bat, and most Alliance levelling quests from Cata.

9 Likes

The difference is well, Frostmourne just happens to be that much more important and iconic than either of those two weapons.

I’d argue Doomhammer is a more iconic and very important weapon. It predates frostmourne by many years and had two iconic characters wield the weapon

1 Like

If I were to check any gaming website right now, Frostmourne will probably be in a list of most iconic gaming weapons while Doomhammer will barely register.

Even now, if I were to ask WoW which of these two weapons is more iconic/important, Frostmourne will probably come out on top.

Eh, I’d personally give Frostmourne the title of most iconic. But I think the idea that it was “too powerful to be used as one weapon” is just a bunk excuse because that same expansion isolated frost DKs into dual-wielding only as Blizzard didn’t want to try to balance it with 2h anymore.

Fanservice was the point of giving players mythical artifacts to use as weapons, and they didn’t have enough important weapons to spread around as-is since we saw so many of them get invented whole-cloth to pretend they’re just as impactful. I think splitting Frostmourne into two lesser weapons ruins the purpose of giving it to players at all.

6 Likes

I don’t think this was the main reason either. If for no other reason than if Blizzard wanted to balance it for 2h it could more easily do so considering it did have talents that they could turn the nob on. No, I think they never wanted anyone to wield it and like the helm of domination found a lore reason to make sure no player ever does.

That would then require double the art assets to accommodate customization for both 2h and dual-wielding versions of Frostmourne, or else players would rightly complain that one or the other felt left out, along with everyone else feeling ticked off that they didn’t get alternate weapon choices to go along with their specs.

So I fully believe gameplay was the most important reason. Just like how survival hunters coincidentally got a melee weapon to go along with their suddenly-melee spec, or shadow priests getting an old god dagger when they got revamped from generic shadow to void insanity.

2 Likes

Whatever “gaming websites” think, Blizzard has always thought both of them deserved expensive replicas.

There’s no getting around the fact that going around with those ugly one-handers whose coolest quality is what they were recycled from, and looking at people running around with Doomhammers and Ashbringers (including flashy 2016 Corrupted Ashbringers) felt like total crap.

2 Likes

Since it’s now established that the Primus made the stuff, you could theoretically have a questline where you go ask him to make an inert replica as a memento for, y’know, his gratitude in you helping him save the multiverse. Same reason as What’s-His-Mograine commissioning a fake Ashbringer.

3 Likes

For transmog if nothing else, it’d be a sweet gesture.

3 Likes

In a theoretical world where frostmourne was made a weapon for Legion it would have remain a 2 hand and the frost spec(at least for max level) would have been balanced around 2 hand.

Which goes to show what helped make Legion another circus expansion - its reductive butchery and sausage-making of the classes, in everything from the specs to the Artifact Weapons to the Order Halls.

You can hate it all you like, but I do think most people did like Legion and it is fondly remember because of things like the Artifact weapon/order halls etc.

2 Likes

Twilight Zone