More than 1 layer? Are there 4+ layers?

I haven’t looked into how Nova World Buffs works, precisely, but it shows 3 layers on Faerlina.

EDIT:

It looks like layer ID can be found on an NPC in a main city (Org/SW).

Here’s the function, for reference:

function NWB:setCurrentLayerText()
	if (not NWB.isLayered) then
		return;
	end
	local _, _, zone = NWB.dragonLib:GetPlayerZonePosition();
	local GUID = UnitGUID("target");
	local zoneID, npcID;
	if (GUID) then
		_, _, _, _, zoneID, npcID = strsplit("-", GUID);
	end
	if (NWB.faction == "Horde" and (zone ~= 1454 or not UnitExists("target") or not npcID)) then
		NWBlayerFrame.fs2:SetText("|cFF9CD6DETarget any NPC in Orgrimmar to see your current layer.|r");
		return;
	end
	if (NWB.faction == "Alliance" and (zone ~= 1453 or not UnitExists("target") or not npcID)) then
		NWBlayerFrame.fs2:SetText("|cFF9CD6DETarget any NPC in Stormwind to see your current layer.|r");
		return;
	end
	local count = 0;
	for k, v in NWB:pairsByKeys(NWB.data.layers) do
		count = count + 1;
		if (k == tonumber(zoneID)) then
			NWBlayerFrame.fs2:SetText("|cFF9CD6DEYour are currently on |cff00ff00[Layer " .. count .. "]|cFF9CD6DE.|r");
			NWB.lastKnownLayer = count;
			NWB.lastKnownLayerID = k;
			return;
		end
	end
	NWBlayerFrame.fs2:SetText("|cFF9CD6DECan't find current layer or no timers active for this layer.|r");
end

Bruh. Read the notes on the addon page itself. The addon dev straight up admits that they’re working out a bug currently due to the addon miscounting layers. Devs asked for new API after Blizz reimplemented layering & I watched the post get buried & ignored, so they’re still trying to figure things out.

2 Likes

I’ve found some bugs I’m still working on and testing fixes for with the new layer system so expect the data to be a bit unreliable atm, sometimes false layers show up that don’t exist is the main bug right now. Hopefully have a fixed version for this and some other stuff a bit later.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/nova-world-buffs

Yeah, this sort of makes sense.

I was trying to make a simple macro to get the layerID, but now I see that what the variable the addon dev is calling zoneID is is actually a unitID, returned from the UnitGUID API Function https://wow.gamepedia.com/API_UnitGUID

It appears they may be using a mapping of unit IDs to determine layers, then iterating over that, which could result in bugs.

To note: that does not mean that 3 layers being being shown for Faerlina is innacurate.

He states it, tho.

In your quote.

Yeah, understood how it works. Part of why some of us were against layering is because we realized the bugs that can and do occur as a result. It’s really not as good as a “solution” as people think it is. That’s a huge reason why Blizz “didn’t want to do it”, but they can’t exactly come out and say that type of thing directly. It’s a kettle of fish.

However, what would be interesting, is if given OP’s post, is if that also indicates there’s still an existing bug on Blizz’s end in the layering system, esp after the layering patch they did. Because OP is suggesting Blizz’s code is operating similarly. So, two separate issues, but similar results. That would be somethin.

I do not believe that we were lied to about the intention of not bringing layers back.

There was no caveat stated that in the event of a global pandemic which resulted in an incredibly unusual and unpredictably massive spike in player population on some realms (or likely all realms, but felt most on the largest ones), that layering which provided the biggest win with the least risk, as a temporary solution to the massive queue times would be brought back.

It is not as though layering exists on all realms, so for those whose preference not to play on realms with layering is absolute, the option for them to do so is there.

2 Likes

Sure. I’m against layering. I’m not going to throw a fit though that it has been implemented to relieve the temporary queue times.

With regards to the layers, I was unable to confirm of the 3 layers showing for Faerlina, that one of them exists.

They are listed as Layer 1, Layer 2, and Layer 3. I was able to confirm Layer 3 and Layer 1, but nobody seemed to be on Layer 2. That seems to be inline with what the Addon developer has stated about miscounting layers.

I thought I had read something that suggest this would be the case, initially, in one of the blue posts that talked about bringing layering back temporarily to alleviate queue times. However, when I went back to look for the precise wording, I was unable to find it, and thought it may have been edited due to possibly changing.

I could just be misremembering :slight_smile:

I agree, Blizzard should apologize for not foreseeing COVID shuttering people inside their homes for weeks if not for months on end.

9 Likes

Ok. Well not happening on my end, either, so not sure of the relevance of this statement.

Pehaps they (Blizz, obviously) have Layers 1 & 3 open, w/2 deactivated? This isn’t something I’ve really been able to devote the time into looking into today, as I have alot of other things going on; just wanted to clear up the information, but I’ll keep an eye on this as I’m able.

It was in response to your comment about “some of us” being against layering. I am equally not sure of the relevance of that to the topic of this thread :slight_smile:

I had assumed that Layer 1, Layer 2, etc. are variable names set by the AddOn, but haven’t stepped through the code enough to familiarize myself with how precisely it works.

Mmk… Well I believe the word because predicates the relevance, hardly a “fit”, but moving on…

I was referring to Blizz’s layering code, as the Addon Dev already found the source of thier issue. I’m wondering if that isn’t contributing to the addon bug was my point. Again, will see what I can find later. I’m sure others are doing the same.

1 Like

Oh yeah? Perhaps you’d be so kind as to link to your source for this info, so others may benefit from your knowledge.

Oh, I see what you mean, “their” as in the Addon Dev’s. For some reason I read that as meaning Blizzard had an issue with “their” layering code.

Text isn’t always the best medium for communication! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh! I didn’t mean to imply that you were throwing a fit, if that’s how you took that! I simply meant that I hadn’t mentioned my own personal preference on layering, as I hadn’t thought it relevant to this thread!

1 Like

What is the plan to remove layering? Are there going to be free transfers available to the every realm that is being layered?

Short of forcing people to move off those overpopulated servers or just telling people to deal with queues I’m not sure what else Blizzard can do to fix the problem. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

You weren’t lied to.
Something happened, that Blizz had not planned for.
And you didnt plan for it either, unless your a really abnormal person.

They turned on layering very reluctantly, and before they even did so
they opened discussion with the playerbase, and said guys here is the deal, what do you think.

That is not being lied to.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

This statement-- while sort-of true– is shortsighted and illuminates the short-sightedness of Blizzard to begin with, and Blizzard now.

I began my Classic adventure as Alliance on Fairbanks, although I first intended to be a horde shaman on Stalagg. The longer queues on Stalagg helped convince me to instead try a smaller pop realm: Fairbanks.

However, if layering was never implemented, then it would have been very easy for many/all of us to see these coming problems before we became too invested on any particular realm.

If the Horde players on Fairbanks would’ve gotten to that burning blade warlock cave near Orgrimmar, and saw 7000 other players there trying to quest, they would’ve known (within 30 mins of character creation) that this was going to be a problem. They could’ve easily rerolled with almost no loss from that point.

If Alliance players first got to Scarlet Monastery only to realize they would never be able to enter because of the thousands of Horde players there, again-- Alliance could have moved realms with only 1 day invested.

Layering caused problems to begin with, and it also masked other problems that we are still fighting with today.

• Blizzard could have set population caps when the realms first went online.
  • Blizzard could have set population balance standards when they first went online (in a variety of ways.)
  • Blizzard could have opened transfers before they finally decided to. When they finally decided to, they could have had better restrictions so we wouldn’t have situations like the one Grobbulus is currently undergoing.

Blizzard created problems with layering and populations, and their solutions were shortsighted and also problematic. This new ‘temporary’ layering is just more of the same.

3 Likes

You were NEVER lied to. Get over yourself.

Their is a massive worldwide pandemic and you have 10x the amount of players logging in on servers that would not.

Blizzard also put posts out asking the community and the majority of players asked for layering at least for now.

1 Like

…you’re just clueless.

Please just stop.

Your entire post screams

“Im an entitled little crying brat”

That could of been the tldr for your post.

They also not once stated in any interview that they would never bring it back. All they said is they will work on getting it to 1 layer as soon as possible. Which they did.

1 Like

Actually, They never said that. Lore said something along the lines of we will remove it by the end of P1 but will look at bringing it back for high stress times.

For all intents and purposes Blizzard meant what they said about removing layering permanently, they just couldn’t predict Covid and the impact it would have on servers.

2 Likes

I agree with this, but I also know that Blizzard was worried about Classic popularity. They opened 13(?) realms to start and had to release more and more as the initial signup blew their expectations out of the water. And even then they were still afraid that adding more servers in would result in dead servers after launch which meant they wanted to keep server count down but population still be manageable.

I guess I see a lot of this as trail and error, they had a lot of different options they could have tried and any one of them could have had a slew of other issues that happened instead.