Mobile App???

Dear Blizzard,

It is the final quarter of 2018...Pet Battles have been a thing for YEARS now inside WoW.

Isn't it about time that we had a mobile app for Android and Apple? We have Hearthstone which is great, and the Blizzard mobile app is awesome with a lot of functionality...But with the popularity of games like Pokemon Go, I would think that this is a No-Brainer, easy money maker for Blizzard and Big Brother Activision!

Sincerely,

A Fanboy
3 Likes
Usually almost a month since last time this topic was brought up, this time only 3 days. If you bother to search on "mobile" can see this isn't a new idea.

Responses seem to be either "yeah, would be nice" or "why would Blizzard spend the time and money".

In this case, how would a mobile app make any money for Blizzard? Why would anybody subscribe only for the mobile app, and if they're already subscribing they're already paying.
3 Likes
People actually do pet battles? I didn’t realize this...
09/07/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Aabidah

Really?
Your non-tradeable level 25s leveled themselves?
1 Like
09/07/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Gnomor
Usually almost a month since last time this topic was brought up, this time only 3 days. If you bother to search on "mobile" can see this isn't a new idea.

Responses seem to be either "yeah, would be nice" or "why would Blizzard spend the time and money".

In this case, how would a mobile app make any money for Blizzard? Why would anybody subscribe only for the mobile app, and if they're already subscribing they're already paying.

Obviously you haven't seen the success of games like Pokemon Go. Blizzard could make bank doing something similar - being able to catch pets in the real world...Selling potions and revives, etc. You aren't very imaginative if you can't think of ways to make money off a game like this.
That and I would most definitely do MORE Pet Battles if I could do them on my phone.
1 Like
09/08/2018 07:53 AMPosted by Cérbérus
Obviously you haven't seen the success of games like Pokemon Go. Blizzard could make bank doing something similar - being able to catch pets in the real world...Selling potions and revives, etc. You aren't very imaginative if you can't think of ways to make money off a game like this.

Course I can think of ways to make money off this. Introduce micro-transactions into World of Warcraft that give you an edge if you have some spare cash.

So far Blizzard has my respect for avoiding this sort of thing. You pay to buy the game then pay a monthly subscription, then you're on an equal standing with all the other players.

Play Pokémon Go, no need to copy that in WoW.
1 Like
09/08/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Gnomor
09/08/2018 07:53 AMPosted by Cérbérus

Course I can think of ways to make money off this. Introduce micro-transactions into World of Warcraft that give you an edge if you have some spare cash.

So far Blizzard has my respect for avoiding this sort of thing. You pay to buy the game then pay a monthly subscription, then you're on an equal standing with all the other players.

Play Pokémon Go, no need to copy that in WoW.

Honestly - Pet Battles are such a small part of WoW...turning it into a Mobile Game just makes fiduciary sense...

Of course that is just my humble opinion.
Go away.
Pet battles had so much potential in MOP, but it never really hit it off. The player base is not there, out of all the wow community maybe only a few thousands play it, when I am sure they were expecting hundreds of thousands.
09/07/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Aabidah

I checked out their armory, I saw 5 non-tradeable level 25 pets, one was a wild pet that would be reduced to 23 which means 4 of them "could've been" the Ultimate stones from a level 3 garrison. It's not like they have a huge collection to begin with. LOL
I'm surprised pet battles haven't been transitioned to a mobile playing format. There is a lot of turn based mobile games out there, the platforms are there. Being able to access your pets and battle them when you are away from your computer would be fun. More importantly you would be giving your subscribers to Warcraft content when they are away from their computer instead of being solely console based (evolution).

As mentioned previously the mobile capability of Hearthstone has been successful. And the game has almost if not already surpassed it's card stock big brothers. I can't see why something similar can't be done with Battle Pets, I feel like this area of the game has big time mobile potential that Blizzard isn't taking advantage of.

I have heard one of the main reasons Blizzard hasn't taken steps to exploit this is because they don't see the revenue angle. I think it's already there. WOW gold. These are Warcraft battle pets after all. People do buy WOW tokens. Instead of making everything pet related cost Pet Badges, how about simplifying it by having the essentials cost WOW gold or give a gold option like Bonus Rolls. Also if you went mobile, I think it goes without say, add more pets to the Battle Net store, people can't buy what's not there. How about a leveling stone in the Battle Net store, just like the level boost. Give people a reason to want to spend gold/money in the BNET store on pets and items. You can give me the option to pay gold/money/pet badges to level my pet instead of making me dependent on Pet Badges. Either way more gold spending means more money spending. Also make sure you make pet battles worth gold. How about adding some Pet Battle WQ you can access from the mobile app or in game worth gold. I think that is one of the things that makes Blizzard special, the ability to turn gold into a real Blizzard currency, take advantage of that.

Another thing I wanted to point out is the WOW subscribers are dwindling. Warcraft/ Blizzard does a great job catering to it's current subscribers, but does nothing to get new subscribers (the next generation). Every parent that plays Warcraft has a smart phone. A lot of Warcraft players have kids. Question: What do parents commonly do now a days when they are out and about with their kids to amuse them? Answer: Hand them their cell phone and put on a game. Hello Blizzard... Battle pets is your opportunity to introduce non Warcraft playing kids to WOW. This is also known as a Gateway. Warcraft pets are cartoony, fun and cute, (kids will love them, and kids don't have access) I don't understand why no one at Blizzard has taken advantage of this. Mobile games are becoming a main stay. Blizzard took advantage with Hearthstone. I can see Battle Pets becoming on par with some of the other big name mobile games that feature similar content. The possibilities are limited to the imagination.

Sincerely, a WOW fan.
I have heard one of the main reasons Blizzard hasn't taken steps to exploit this is because they don't see the revenue angle. I think it's already there. WOW gold. These are Warcraft battle pets after all. People do buy WOW tokens. Instead of making everything pet related cost Pet Badges, how about simplifying it by having the essentials cost WOW gold or give a gold option like Bonus Rolls. Also if you went mobile, I think it goes without say, add more pets to the Battle Net store, people can't buy what's not there. How about a leveling stone in the Battle Net store, just like the level boost. Give people a reason to want to spend gold/money in the BNET store on pets and items. You can give me the option to pay gold/money/pet badges to level my pet instead of making me dependent on Pet Badges. Either way more gold spending means more money spending.

Oh great...
Someone trying to persuade Blizzard to use pet battles as another way to extort cash out of players.

We've reassured so many disgruntled players that pet battles are not pay-to-win. I'm sure few here want it turned into a stinking money-sink.
2 Likes
09/11/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Treedohko
Pet battles had so much potential in MOP, but it never really hit it off. The player base is not there, out of all the wow community maybe only a few thousands play it, when I am sure they were expecting hundreds of thousands.

One of ongoing problems with forum comments about pet battles is not specifying whether you're talking about PvE or PvP. HUGE difference.

PvE, adding to your collection of pets or leveling toons through pet battles, seems to have millions of fans. In fact, keeps a lot of people subscribing through the dead months killing time till next expansion.

PvP is the one with small player base. Mostly because breaking into it is so frustrating. No handicapping, you're bright-eyed noob wanting to try this out and you get matched over and over again with the guys working on their 5,000 wins. Who have put together team that's unbeatable except with just the right set of opposing pets used by someone who knows their stuff. So you decide to hell with it.
2 Likes
funny you all think the only way to make money off this is by customers paying extra..... god forbid there could be sponsors, or new players to add to the base, or a few hundred other ways to bring income to the game.

but yea, Blizz isn't gonna do sheet for a few thousand players.
11/01/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Lurkin
funny you all think the only way to make money off this is by customers paying extra..... god forbid there could be sponsors, or new players to add to the base, or a few hundred other ways to bring income to the game.

Sponsors ?? You mean my Perky Pug is going to have to go into battle with an ALPO logo on his butt ?
1 Like
11/01/2018 03:59 PMPosted by Ranok
11/01/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Lurkin

Sponsors ?? You mean my Perky Pug is going to have to go into battle with an ALPO logo on his butt ?

I'm envisaging something more in the line of political sponsorship.
For example your perky pug might get a jerkin which extends over its derriere saying:
vote
for T
rump
1 Like
I don't see how you could adapt the PvE aspect of pet battles to work for mobile app.
It requires utilisation of the world for wild pets, and tamers are thematically tied to the zone they're in generally.

The PvP queue however, would work perfectly in a mobile app.
It would also increase participation significantly.

If you want to complain about being beaten in PvP then maybe competitive games are not for you.

I think this would be a fun way to integrate Pet battles into a mobile platform – and even better if the mobile platform would sync with big WoW when a player logs back into the desktop game. Being able to level battle pets while getting out and doing stuff away from the computer would be an excellent means to tap into the market for the younger generations (and us old folks who enjoy newer tech). If the Blizzard/Activision folks could do a joint venture type thing with the Pokémon Go/Niantic folks to do the WoW Pet Battles on mobile platforms (Android & iOS), there would be a lot of folks who would absolutely love it and be very excited about it. I know I would!

Ive been wondering why we havent heard much from Mumper (Corey). Turns out hes now the lead of the blizzard moblile team developing a pet app for mobile (reported but not confirmed).