MMO Health?

Using https://mmo-population.com/list as a reference for estimated daily active players:
(Ranked in order of total accounts, not daily active players)

1. WoW - 2.22M
  2. Destiny 2 - 1.07M
  3. Final Fantasy 14 - 3.26M
  4. Old School Runescape - 2.19M
  5. WoW Classic - 968K
  6. Roblox - 442K
  7. The Elder Scrolls Online - 553K
  8. Elite Dangerous - 315K
  9. Runescape - 738K
  10. Guild Wars 2 - 584K
  11. Star Citizen - 401K
  12. New World - 1.57M
  13. Black Desert Online - 437K
  14. Star Wars: The Old Republic - 285K
  15. Conan Exiles - 372K

FF14 is slightly ahead of WoW + WoW Classic. Leading up to the release of a major FF14 expansion. During a major WoW content drought. During community backlash and lawsuits. On the heels of what is so far a second “bad” expansion in a row.

I highly doubt the downward trend will continue. 9.1.5 looks to be the start (just a start, not a full throttle fix) of a brighter future. Too little, too late? Maybe. Maybe not.

Time will tell.

2 Likes

sorry but disagree people come back for patches and expansion but find out it the same stuff and they get fed up. World of warcraft did a lot of stuff recently because of the issues they been dealing with and if it didn’t come out pretty sure they wouldn’t had given us all these new tweaks and etc they are giving us.

3 Likes

Where do you get your optimism from and is there any more for sale? My regular supplier (bliz devs) are all out and havnt been selling me any lately.

3 Likes

I know a guy who deals copium in the goblin slums in Org.

Whisper me in game and I’ll hook you up my good dwarf.

/moo :cow:

6 Likes

Just one subscription grants access to both WoW and WoW Classic.

Many players may actively play in both WoW and WoW Classic. Those players will get double-counted if you just add up the two numbers, making WoW look financially healthier than it actually is.

As such, it is quite possible that FF14 may be more than just “slightly ahead”.

Also, while I haven’t verified this, my impression is that in terms of active players WoW is in free-fall while FF14 is increasing. My server is empty, the server economy is collapsing and both my guild’s raid teams burnt out and stopped raiding. Over half my guild members quit the game since 9.1 came out. Even at peak times the number of guild members I see online is at most a quarter of what it was when 9.1 came out.

I disagree.

Patch 9.1.5 isn’t a major content patch. It offers virtually nothing new in terms of new content to entice players back to the game.

Historically, significant numbers of inactive players come back to WoW only after major content patches or new expansion releases. Never after minor update patches like 9.1.5.

6 Likes

Does this count alts?
Also i would log in to do my auctions then log back out for the day when i took my 2 month brake.

Hello, I see you made a thread about MMO populations. Did you know that approximately half of the World of Warcraft players are burner accounts to post nonsense on the forums!?

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

2 Likes

Hey cool you got stats. Mind if I ask where you got them from? (Pulled from your rear doesn’t count BTW)

1 Like

I feel it’s just what they do later in expacs where they remove a lot of the gates and grinds to make things more accessible to alts. Not really an indication of any change.

2 Likes

MMO pops has never proven to be a good source. People have done some math to try and figure out how they even got those numbers and it doesn’t add up.

1 Like

based on “online sentiment.” because there are no reported sub numbers.
:thinking:

and it would be hard to combine that “sentiment” when you consider there are multiple regions that have wow. the us servers and maybe the EU servers might combine like that but what of the others?

1 Like

Hello, I see you replied to my post. It looks like you are having trouble distinguishing a joke from a serious comment. I wonder what else you have trouble distinguishing from when it comes to serious and not so serious discussions! Scary thought, indeed!

Thanks for the post and have a great day!

3 Likes

Hard to tell some times because I gotta wade through a low of stupid on these forums lol. Also hard to tell tone of voice over a text based medium. Have a good one

1 Like

Blizzard supporters always trash pessimistic posts that get their data from that source, but turn around and use it when they think it is to their advantage?

There’s only a few hundred posters on the forums nowadays. Hopefully there’s more than twice that in the game.

2 Likes

Good lord.

GD loves to latch on to buzzwords their favorite “content creators” spew out, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

The source has no credibility regardless of who uses it. Even the site admits on the About page that the numbers are basically made up

Of course the data is not extremely accurate, or in many cases, accurate at all.

1 Like

Isn’t this the site that still has Wildstar with an active player base?

I love your posts hahaha. Where’s your reply to me? Can’t wait to see it :smiley:

The genre is declining in general.

1 Like

Ff is in a lull and gained people… lawsuit or not it still has taken 11 months for a content patch for wow

Pssh no reason to be cringe come and vibe (Insert other buzzwords i can’t think of here)

…I tried lol

1 Like