Mists Timerunning - You can grind currency and buy the world boss mounts

200,000 at the moment, according to WoWhead.

1 Like

This is why I never buy from the BMAH or have ANYTHING for collectorā€™s value. Here is what I ask myself: ā€œDo I want this thing so much that having it and using it will bring me my farming timeā€™s value in joy, in the time between now and when they give it away for nothing?ā€

And a couple times my answer has been yes and I farmed those things hard. Swift Zulian Panther. Ashen Pandaren Phoenix (ā€¦farmed gold and bought carry, I admit itā€¦), Ashes of Alar, Rajani Warserpent, Umber Nightsaber, Sandy Nightsaber.

Doing this will make you the happiest.

1 Like

Good, because Iā€™m tired of wrestling with those abysmal drop rates for some of those mounts for the past 10 years (despite the increased droprate for world bosses). :dracthyr_yay_animated:

2 Likes

One thing to come from it is that any future things like mounts that require griding are less likely to get me involved. I spent a huge amount of time getting the sha mount and thats time I can never get back.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just glad I already have everything from mop. It means I get to save on bronze for all the new stuff. So I automatically get a headstart over anyone else still grinding mop content.

For Sha it took me around 1300 across 5 characters, i would give up from time to time when the game was bugged in several fronts and it was dubious to me the drops were functional. Several times iā€™d unsub as well so i wasnā€™t really obsessive with it.

I got oondasta one in 2013 on my druid from a coin, sha in 2022 from a coin on hunter, galleon from drop on druid and nalak one from a drop on monk (both around feb this year)

BMAH mop bosses were there around mid mop, a bit after Throne if memory serves right. They made this huge post about the rarest mounts in the game and sha one was the rarest (mostly because it wasnt in the loot table of sha for 3 months early mop due to a bug).

These world bosses mounts were always handled poorly by blizzard. When the WoW token was released in wod, they started popping constantly on the BMAH, much like the zulian tiger or invincible. Thatā€™s when stuff started going wild.

I never used the BMAH, so I missed that. I think the BMAH should be redesigned to be a vendor that anyone on any realm can buy an item on the day it spawns.

When I started farming mounts seriously back in Legion, I got the Oondasta mount within a month. By the time they increased the drop rate on the Sha of Anger, I had 4000 attempts on it. I got it that week. I was farming it on over 100 characters by that point. I might still not have gotten it by this time if they hadnā€™t increased the drop rate and I had continued farming for it.

But we can never know. They have broken me of mount collecting, with their obsession with producing mass numbers of mounts, many of which need to be bought in the cash shop, and content I have no interest in playing but would be needed to be farmed like a full-time job if I wanted the rewards. On this new account I have hardly any mounts. And as far as transmog goes, do I have an attractive mog on some character? Okay, Iā€™m done. Donā€™t need to farm up every set in the game, donā€™t need to farm up ugly mogs because Blizzard created them to suck in players who have to have every ugly set they will never use because it exists.

The inclusion of these mounts is probably a response to the calls for bad luck protection. The grind seems punishing enough so itā€™s not like itā€™s being handed out for free.

I recently went on a mount farming blitz and was able to obtain Sha, Huolon, Astral Cloud, Ji-Kun, and Horridon. One of them only took 5 kills and another one took over 260 kills. Overall I was lucky, a lot of people have worse luck than me.

I think I prefer long grinds to RNG. At least with a grind you are able to quantify the amount of effort needed and you have a guaranteed end point. I am relieved to have already farmed most of the mounts I want. There is only one left - the Jaina mount - that Iā€™m waiting to become farmable and let me tell you I am DREADING that grind. I might level up 30 alts just to get it over with faster.

TLDR: I think this is a good thing

But sire, there IS no such force!

3 Likes

I kind of wish they were doing this for the BFA Pandaria drops, too.

Waiting for a boss to spawn for a few hours and then having a rare drop chance on top of that is not copacetic.

1 Like

is timerunning and time walking the same thing

Ima be farming for days and days and days so many mounts so little time lol