Minor Headcanons You Want To Be Canon

I don’t know about you but as WoW is filled with vaugeries and contradictions I frequently have to make my own decisions when detailing how say spells work.

Now the key word here is minor. If you want to believe Jania Proudmoore is a Dreadlord or idk Captain Placeholder is the real true King of Stormwind and the Varian we know was merely a brainwashed pretender then fly free little bird but that’s not what we’re talking about.

I’m talking about minor stuff from WoW you’ve tried to make sense of. Here’s some of mine;

• Forsaken Mushrooms Are Grown From Corpses

I can’t be the only one who’s noticed Forsaken innkeepers and merchants tend to sell only mushrooms and even the Sludge Fields were supposed to be a mushroom growing plantation.

At face value this seems rather strange. Yeah eating a raw mushroom isn’t pleasant but sauté those suckers in some butter and they’re delicious. So what gives?

Well you know where fungi can grow? On flesh. My hypothesis is the Forsaken grow mushrooms from mulch made of ground up corpses to serve as their rough equivalent of a vegan option. All the nourishment of devouring the flesh of the living with none of the hassle of having to chase one down yourself.

• Staves are used to channel magic

When you get right down to it, staves are odd weapons. And they are weapons - warriors and hunters can use them to smack people in the face. Objectively speaking a pretty sturdy stick isn’t a bad weapon. In our reality. Wouldn’t recommend bringing it to a warzone or gunfight but a solid stick can be a hell of a force multiplier.

Makes a lot less sense in Azeroth where they’re being wielded by the likes of Tauren and Worgen, who would probably do a lot more damage with just their hands.

Unless of course they’re being used to focus magical attacks. Attempting to channel the raw fury of the Firelands or maddening whispers from the Void could be awfully difficult to direct with much accuracy. Unless you’ve an enchanted stick to pour it into an aim like a gun.

• Elf Eyebrows Function Like Whiskers

Now if you didn’t know whiskers are used by creatures like cats, dogs, rats and manatees to help perceive the world around them. As whiskers brush an object, irregularities in the surface are sent directly to the brain.

Basically they’re special forms of hair called vibrissal that help creatures with them navigate the world that are unlike our hair as they’re directly attached to nerve endings. These nerves relay detailed information about the direction, velocity and duration of vibrissal movement, thereby allowing the animal to detect the precise location, size, texture and other details of the object.

And I’m convinced this is why Elves have such longboi eyebrows and why they’re such legendary archers.

Anyway there are a few of my absurd beliefs about Azeroth I think make too much sense to not be canon. Do you’ve any you’d like to share?

14 Likes

Love these headcanons!

• The full moon affects worgen.

No, the full moon does not force worgen to transform against their will into mindless beasts. However, we know that Goldrinn the wolf god is most bloodthirsty and his rage is at its worst on full moons. And what are worgen connected to? Goldrinn.

They contain his essence of rage.

As such I believe on full moons worgen are more irritiable, more likely to feel the urge to hunt and to kill, and probably are a little more savage overall. Like if a worgen were in a fight during a full moon they moght be more viscious than they would be any other part of the moon cycle.

14 Likes

My go to example for a make-a-wish headcanon ever since Shadowlands launched:

Darithos ( the dude torturing Kaelthas in Castle Nathria) is Garithos. But now he uses a D instead of a G, because he serves Denathrius.

18 Likes

The only reason I can imagine they’ve avoided this, other than Blizz’s general disregard toward Worgen that just feels malicious at this point, is that questions would be raised about how the moons or lackthereof in say Outland, Draenor, the Shadowlands effect them.

Which to talented writers could make for interesting questions but in WoW is something they want to avoid because I’m convinced they arent interested in world building.

Like with the Forsaken I write mine as being incapable of consuming non humanoid meat. If they have intact tongues they can taste it, delight in it, but will vomit it up as it’s the undead equivalent of eating a sponge soaked in meat juices.

Unless they have no stomach cavity. My vargul is mostly a skeleton who otherwise enjoys meat and drink even as it visibly spills out of him. But his running gag is he may be a legendary tier skilled Paladin or Warrior Priest or maybe demi god but just doesn’t seem to realize this.

For example one time on a fact finding mission to Hyjal post Blood War he just casually jumped off the world tree. And avoided making a crater by merely jumping again before he hit the ground. When the Goblins in Azshara who witnessed this asked how he so casually ignored the laws of gravity, he resppnded that he had sworn no oath to this King Gravity of their’s and thusly was unconcerned about his laws.

Granted that’s more me just ripping off the Orkz from 40k who can basically warp reality by being just that oblivious. Orks who paint themselves purple are basically invisble because, of course, “Who’s ever seen a purple Ork?”. Like their logic makes just enough sense that you can’t really argue with them.

3 Likes

Well to be fair worgen were not in the story when we went to Outland. But they wwre around for Draenor and Shadowlands.

But I imagine if there is no moon then it just doesn’t do anything. I imagine the only time the writers would have to worry about the moon affecting worgen is if there is one at all, and it’s a full moon.

6 Likes

I like to think the reason there isn’t a new Archbishop for the Church of the Holy Light in Stormwind is because the House of Nobles are purposefully creating a deadlock among the most promising candidates by having different houses supporting different bishops, with the goal of keeping the church’s influence minimal so they can hold more political sway. A new Archbishop would add another player to their plots with/against the crown.

Mechagnomes who prefer gold-plating for their mechanizations have a thing for Goblins and choose that appearance to be more attractive to them.

There actually aren’t as many, ‘High Elves,’ as the game would lead you to believe. Every non-named High Elf NPC is actually a Half-Elf, but they look like High Elves because Blizzard never created a proper Half-Elf model.

Dragons spend years learning how to properly function in their humanoid forms. Tasks such as writing, dining with utensils, and dressing themselves, anything involving their hands really, are so difficult to them at first that any Dragon without this extensive training would give themselves away within hours of trying to blend in with mortal societies.

The (playable) Mag’har Orcs are the victims of older, conservative Mag’har whom saw the growing (positive) influence the Draenei had on younger generations of Orcs and were panicked at the thought of their ways being abandoned. Thus they began accusing those too friendly with the Draenei of being, ‘Lightbound,’ and of the planet’s decline as being the fault of the Draenei and the Light. Orcs like Geya’rah are driven to hate the Draenei and the Orcs whom ally with them because of this, but now that they’re on Azeroth, they’re slowly starting to realize they were being mislead by fearful old men terrified of giving up what last scraps of power they had. (To be clear, none of this invalidates the possibility the Draenei over there ARE going Deus Vult, just something added onto it to give the Mag’har something extra story-wise)

Some dwarves are actually allergic to water, but the alcohol in ales/lagers/stouts, etc… makes it perfectly safe for them to drink.

Broken Draenei actually revel in having feet and host small holidays barefoot in grassy area’s to enjoy themselves when the Draenei aren’t paying attention, so as not to make them feel bad.

6 Likes

Also I like to imagine both the Forsaken and Worgen are able to snap out’ve Shadow mind magic better than other races.

Due to the Forsaken being able to have to snap away from the Lich King, the Worgen having to assert command over their own feral thoughts and both of course having a shadow magic resistance as well as not relying on sight as their main sense.

Suffice to say if I waa a hungry void entity laying in a lake, I’d convince you see your loved ones drowning. You dive in to save them. But they’re always just a bit farther. Just a bit out’ve your reach. And so on until you’re all worn out.

But the Worgen might realize he can hear their screams but not smell them, and the Forsaken might realize they can hear their screams - but even when they cover their ears.

At which point they draw weapons.

7 Likes

I have a few:

• The Steamwheddle Cartel has mixed feelings on Gazlowe leaving and joining the Horde. On one hand they like that his history and favoritism with the Horde no longer threatens their neutral stance. On the other they mislike some of his skill leaving and that those in Ratchet may be more loyal to him over them.

• Illidan did lose a piece of his soul to Frostmourne but because it was demonic in nature Zovaal couldn’t claim it, and it went back to Illidan aftet the blade was shattered. Hence why Illidan was more crazy in BC over being more focused in Legion.

• Liadrin and Overlord Geya’rah have a tense working relationship as Liadrin is in a sense of disbelief over Yrel becoming a Tyrant and Geya’rah is wary over someone Yrel had fond memories of.

• AU Draenor dying was a result of the timeline trying to correct the fact both Outland and Draenor existed and were connected to the main timeline at once.

24 Likes

• Among the ne’er-do-wells and brew enthusiasts of the Shadowforge, it’s almost considered a ‘warrior’s death’ among the Dark Iron to go out swinging in one of the Grim Guzzler’s MANY bar fights. Names are inscribed on mugs and kegs to honor those tavern brawlers who could be considered legendary.
• The Dark Iron have a growing crisis on their hands in recent years, as numerous adventuring types have decided that the best way to dispose of unwanted relics is by tossing them into the molten heart of Blackrock Mountain, which has grown increasingly unstable as a result. Shadowforge’s finest arcanists and magi are now left with a new question: How to disenchant an entire volcano?

• Outside of certain areas still controlled by the Mag’har, Kurenai, and the Sha’tar, by and large, Outland has little relevance when it concerns the current affairs or agendas of the Alliance and Horde. As a result, huge swathes of Azeroth’s criminal element has migrated here to fill in the power voids left vacant after BC ended. There are entire factions out there, vying for supremacy over a shattered and dying world, but they play it smart by staying off of our radars.

• The Strand of the Ancients battleground canonically ended when someone in a demolition vehicle accidentally destroyed the relic stored within the vault. The Explorer’s League and the Reliquary were besides themselves with rage.
• The Grizzly Hill Trappers were not all wiped out, rejecting the remnants of the Wolf Cult after the Lich King’s defeat.

11 Likes

On this note my current headcanon/suspicion is that all of Yrel’s actions regarding the Mag’har is an attempt to try to anchor Draenor into normal reality by way of using light magic. But light magic being the way it is has devastating unintended consequences.

2 Likes

Since his “master” was apparently Ralaar/Alphe Prime, I’ve long speculated that the enchanted bracers that transformed Pyrewood’s citizens into worgen at night could have been an effort on the part of Arugal to experiment with and modify what was initially a night elf-specific curse to create more lucid and competent human-based worgen akin to Ralaar’s Druid of the Scythe followers, with said alterations eventually leading to the malevolent and self-aware Gilnean worgen in Ralaar’s Wolf Cult, who later became the brutally vicious, yet still self-possessed and rational Bloodfang Pack.

Oh, and I wonder if perhaps rather than simply stronger worgen than most, the Sons of Arugal might have actually been kaldorei Druid of the Scythe worgen tasked with leading and controlling the feral human worgen that had infested the forests of Silverpine. Moreover, I like to think any named worgen mobs back in Vanilla Ashenvale and Darkshore could have been Druids of the Scythe using their retained self-control and intellect to lead the other summoned feral worgen, who would have predominantly been night elf victims who got cursed during the War of the Satyr.

7 Likes

Ren’dorei tentacles are a minor void parasite and can move and undulate of their own accord and often convey or reflect the feelings of their host.

Dark Iron dwarves start to smolder and their temperature rises to dangerous levels to those around them when their anger starts to get the better of them.

Orcs view Night Elves as a formidable foe and worthy adversary. They view them as akin to the Botani and razing the edge of Ashenvale is their attempt to keep the Life element in order. Some Orcs view Night Elves as ghostly sentinels worthy of challenge and tell their children spooky stories to avoid them from wandering too close to the forests edge.

… I have more but my post would be like 8 miles long so I’ll leave it there.

11 Likes

Their what now? Man I gotta unlock those dudes. Screw this diet Helf crap I’m going with maximum tentacles, using my Servant of N’Zoth title and signing cheerful carols about our personal Lord and Savior outside the Cathedral of Light;

8 Likes

Yeah, we have tentacles. They’re amazing.

When Velves were announced I was like ‘PSHT, OKAY BLIZZARD’ but now I fully embrace the Call of C’thun and sport my fanciest tentacles. The fascination with the run-of-the-mill Thalassan elf is baffling to me when you can have a literal hotline to the Void. To each their own I suppose!

5 Likes

Kil’Jaeden took Velen’s refusal to join Sargeras so violently and personally (as opposed to Archimonde’s reaction) because he was in love with Velen, ala Stephen Boyd’s Messala from 1959’s Ben-Hur.

10 Likes

Youre telling me this ISNT CANON?

4 Likes

Every race has a slightly different core body temperature, so comfortable heat for an orc might have a tauren hydrating furiously. Conversely, frostwolf fur is very warm and the Frostwolves spend a lot more time around the volcanic vents than a tauren would want to.

7 Likes

I always figured food would be a bigger concern. On Earth at least what’s fine for one species can be fatal to another. Might be an interesting tidbit to learn like Draenei can’t digest citrus or Orcs are uniformly lactose intolerant.

Come to think of it can Worgen eat chocolate?

12 Likes

Probably depends on what form they’re in.

…I should go back into the cookbook.

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure the canon is that all realities but the MU are inherently unstable, and the only reason the WoD AU didn’t crumble in seconds/minutes/hours (like the ones in Twilight of the Aspects) is because the hourglass stabilized it temporarily. It’s fading is just the result of that time running out, nothing unusual about it.

2 Likes