Microsoft Lays Off 1900

No, he was hired in 2019, as the link I included shows.

Linear time is still a thing.

I always said Msoft would dissolve wow, it’ll be vaporware soon. Msoft was buying King’s mobile gaming presence not the b-rate teams that have plagued us. It’s finally over.

1 Like

No disagreement from me on that one.

Ybarra was trash.

3 Likes

Well, for starters you don’t have to be rude.

Second, the article is posted for 2019, but says he will be starting in the future at some point.

This is from Blizzard themselves.

Mike Ybarra was named a leader of Blizzard Entertainment in August 2021 and has served as its President since February 2022. In this role, Mike oversees development and operations.

The person you were thinking of is J Allen Brack.

Either way, the scandals that you were talking about predate both people.

:slight_smile:

This is from polygon

Ybarra assumed the role of Blizzard Entertainment in 2021, replacing outgoing president J. Allen Brack. Ybarra initially co-led the company with Jen Oneal, who left her post after just a few months.

Oneal was at her job for about a month before moving on and did so in 2021.

I too can make a list of random stuff to get people worried, based off of legit nothing.

I wouldn’t really count on it having much of an impact at all to WoW, tbh. Tech layoffs have been happening across the board, and with Microsoft acquiring Activision Blizzard, merging teams, etc. laying off less than 10% during what seems like somewhat of a world wide economic slump doesn’t seem unprecedented.

That is not to say it doesn’t suck for those affected, nor to downplay the impact it no-doubt has on many. Terrible news indeed, and I hope those impacted find themselves on their feet asap.

1 Like

I miss WoW when it was designed as a game and not pay 2 win carries as well.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

7 Likes

First, you were rude, so I replied in kind.

Second, Ybarra started with Blizzard in 2019. Specifically, according to his own LinkedIn, November 2019.

Third, yes, he was promoted higher in Blizzard leadership in August 2021, specifically as one of the 2 people replacing Brack. Public awareness of the scandal starting in the summer of 2021 does not predate Ybarra’s time with the company, so him being hired over a year and half before that would have been an extremely rare moment of HR long-game foresight from the Activision Blizzard team.

You are wrong. You can stop talking now.

Can you said this 100% it won’t be happening lol. Microsoft stand to make so much more money to bring WoW Xbox. One of the reason to by blizzard into license blizzard IP to use on Xbox.

This is the entire point of the discussion, as to why he might be culpable as a leader when allegations were taking place. If he wasn’t a leader at the time, then there is no culpability.

Your claim that he’s some how responsible for the lawsuits or allegations when he was literally hired on in response to them, well, it’s not realistic to put it nicely. Especially when “Linear time is still a thing”, and the issues took place well before he was brought on.

Yep, totally not rude.

Before you respond… just understand that you are upset, and I know you’re going to say something rude. Also understand that I neither care about this conversation, you being OBVIOUSLY wrong, or that you will eventually figure it out… so, do we really need to drag this on?

Lol @ mike y leaving, did he even do anything to make things better?

4 Likes

I literally couldn’t tell you what the guy did in his day to day job.

2 Likes

I claimed no such thing. The person I was responding to said he was brought on as a response to the lawsuits in 2021. I said he wasn’t, and that he was already with the company for years. That’s it. That’s all I said. I blamed him for none of Blizzard’s troubles past or present.

To put in nicely, you have a vivid imagination as to what you think you read, and have created an entire argument in your own head because you don’t know when to quit picking a dumb fight.

3 Likes

He ran a ‘carry team’ and if anyone complained he’d just say he was doing a little QA.

3 Likes

lol

the man had a good side hustle

3 Likes

Kind of late for you to worry about that, don’t you think? You’ve gone out of your way to be rude multiple times. Why would I care about you putting things nicely at this point?

You could have said that this was a miscommunication, instead you argued over the hire date, which you were wrong about, then shifted your argument because… why?

Again, this doesn’t matter, and I literally don’t care that you’re wrong… most people are wrong from time to time, get over it.

knock it off. that’s ridiculous. he wasn’t moonlighting as a carry broker. he mentioned on one occasion that his guild was doing a sale run.

5 Likes

You are correct he was doing it at the office. :rofl:

Anybody with half a brain cell knew there were multiple redundant positions and Msoft was going to optimize.

4 Likes

how much “profit” did he make from all this carry selling he was supposedly involved in?