Metamorphosis compromise!?

Heya All,
Been playing Warlock for god knows how long (Dec 2004), and still to this day I feel like MoP Demo to me was the most fun and best play style of Demonology we’ve ever gotten till prepatch WoD when everything changed.

I was talking to a mate of mine who mentioned Hearthstone, while I never really played it, literally only installed to get mounts for WoW then uninstalled it. He mentioned Tamsin (Warlock) actual unique hero card is a Dread Lich which I thought was pretty awesome.

While truely a very controversial touchy subject about Metamorphosis being Demon Hunter only, while some believe it truely should stay to Warlock, why not leave Metamorphosis to the DHs and incorporate a Dread Lich form for Warlocks??, while yes it would require a little more effort but you could even weave the “swarm build” That the current Demo Warlocks have into the new Dread Lich (even in hearthstone she constantly adds imps to your deck).

For example Touch of Chaos - Summoning Imps aswell, Chaos Wave Creating Dread Stalkers, Hand of Gul’dan could have a empowered version with stronger imps, Demon Bolt being empowered summoning Demons aswell and so forth.

While I know Hearthstone isn’t “lore friendly”, it has some great ideas, they have cards with new race/class combos aswell all which I believe retail WoW could build on to make it an even greater game.

21 Likes

Honestly a good idea, if DH is the melee version of what happens when you infuse the fel wholly into your soul, wheres the caster version? This is it.

7 Likes

Yeah, now that I think about it, the WC3 Demon Hunter hero unit’s Ultimate was basically turning into a giant demon spamming chaos bolts that did crazy splash damage… something the Demon Hunter class shouldn’t really be doing. Yeah, I could see this as a talent for each spec and it giving a different bonus for each. Maybe for Destruction it reduces the cost of Chaos Bolt and Rain of Fire by 1. For Affliction, it would do something more affliction-y and have a slightly different demon form. Likewise for Demonology.

This idea has potential…

3 Likes

If only we could get Meta back. I don’t get why the devs don’t listen. Why wouldn’t you want to make the game fun. They could easily replace one of the useless final row talents with meta l, give it a completely different name, and cause all abilities to change while in meta. I’m a huge fan of making a 4th warlock tank spec but that’s a different story. Demo right now is somewhat fun but it lacks diversity. They could easily change the other two talents to anything else to make the spec more diversified. I miss chaos wave and demonic leap so much.

6 Likes

Just bring meta back as a 4thspec with a new name. its that simple. copy paste it from mop. it was the most fun ive had in wow. i almost quit after it was taken away. but started maining DK but miss meta. I worked hard fro green metamorphosis and i want it back. i dont want to see it become a tank spec. it was so much fun as a dps

11 Likes

I feel you so much, MoP was the best for me, literally MoP early WoD was so amazing…I truely miss old Demo.

6 Likes

Kanrethad implored that we embrace our ‘inner demon’ otherwise we were in danger of becoming eclipsed by other classes developing such as mages researching time manipulation etc. The sudden removal of metamorphosis was not even dignified with an NPC discussion, short quest or even a sufficient blue post explanation. I’ll always feel dirty on blizzard for doing that to us.

9 Likes

Agreed.
I loved the play style and everything about Demo during MoP.

6 Likes

yeah the lore flavor from the greenfire quest was so nice now its all gone. really needs to come back as a 4th spec with mop playstyle. worked with druids can work with locks

4 Likes

MoP warlock all three specs were the absolute most fun I ever had in WoW. I wish they would just bring back the specs to their former glory. However if blizzard won’t do that then a fourth spec for a ranged demon metamorphosis would genuinely be awesome! Good post :+1:

6 Likes

Unfortunately, bringing back Metamorphosis is as likely as them deleting Demon Hunters from existence even though there is nothing inherently wrong with two classes sharing some abilities.

I love Pre-Legion Demo Lock too, but sometimes you just have to let stuff go.

My warlock will always be a better warlock than Tamsin Roame ever will be.

I am not a metamorphosis believer, honestly, i moved past the stages of grief in legion, meta for me is past waters.

BUT, they could bring “meta” back.

It wouldn’t transform you in a purple demon, probably wouldn’t look like DH’s meta either, but i don’t think its impossible that a Cooldown would created that transforms you in a empowered form (plenty of classes have those rly) and gives new abilities or changes some of yours.

What i do think there are 0% chance to happen is

A - It not being a cooldown but a quasi-CD who you have flexible Duration/“CD”, As MoP/WOD meta and Legion/Bfa Voidform have been systems who caused more than one balance issue and have been effectively purged of wow by Shadowlands.

B - It involving a new resource system like Demonic Fury or bringing most of the WOD/MOP improved spells.

C- It being the promised lands of spells who will raise warlocks to the absolute glory and domination of wow.

theres no reason not to bring it back as a 4th spec and just change the name

1 Like

well, it would require them to make a 4th spec for warlocks.

then, every other class will also want a 4th spec, DHs will want 2 more actually.

then we go from 36 specs to 48 and increased the combat design team workload by 33%.

More likely for them to make a new spec who like DH have only 2 specs than them making 4th specs a reality to anyone outside of druids.

Taking away metamorphosis from warlocks and giving to demon hunters with the excuse of uniqueness and then make it play completely differently was the worst thing they could’ve done. It’s not like demon hunters even have a casting spec to fill the gap, but the demon hunter metamorphosis doesn’t compare to what warlocks had so i don’t understand why they don’t bring it back.

At least rework the demonic tyrant talent so that the caster is the one who transforms and buffs their pet/damage. It sucks having a huge part of your class just taken away.

6 Likes

They literally could make it a Talent Choice, Nether Portal (if buffed) is the swarm style of play, Demonic Consumption is about boosting your Demons, Switch out Sacrificed Souls to Lich Form (or pseudo Demon Form) and it’s about Direct Player Power. Also an added bonus if they make it a Demon Form, you consider yourself a Demon so Tyrant could extend the form so it gives added synergy and a skill cap.

Felguard > Vilefiend > Dreadstalkers > Imps > Demon Form > Tyrant…

Each Talent all do something different, change your style of play without stepping on eachothers toes or taking anything from DemonHunters.

1 Like

Some classes deserve a 4th spec more than others like Shamans and Monks.

I don’t see that happening with Warlocks, Death Knights, Priests, Paladins, Mages, Rogues, Warriors or especially Demon Hunters for that matter.

yes, some specs do “deserve” a 4th, DHs almost got a 3rd while its concept for legion was being made too.

Like Tank Shaman based on the element of earth.

but it’s a pandoras box, you open it and more people will want it.

I shudder to think what was the 3rd spec about for Demon Hunters.

If i am not mistaken, the original idea was for it to have 2 DPS specs, one melee focused on the warglaives and one ranged focused on the more magical abilities.

In the end, they found that it divided the identity of demon hunter too much and went for a single dps spec.