Memory usage?

Had this happen twice on a 32GB machine since Tuesday’s patch (56110), and never before that. I see there’s maintenance scheduled in ~7h, so perhaps we’ll be getting a fix then?

3 Likes

Yep. Same thing happened to me just now. First time ever in all my years of playing wow.

2 Likes

I recommend to install “Process Explorer” and monitor the memory usage (“private bytes”) of Wow.exe

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

and btw. Blizzard should add microsoft.com to trusted sites in the forum, unless they don’t trust their new owners…

6 Likes

Started to get this too, man, I have a ton of ram space left…
wow was stable below 5GB ram usage
Something related to ram usage must have changed in the last patch that is causing this.

Update:
Hasn’t happened again, played in Remix for about 2 hours and no errors, nothing changed on the addons that were active or anything else really.
The only real difference is that before/when it crashed I was in normal DF(outside Remix) and the crashed happened about 2min after logging in Remix, while in the last 2 hours i played by logging in Remix directly, didn’t go in another char before that.

Update 2:
Most certainly not related to Remix, i just spent about 1 hour logged in, didn’t touch Remix and got the error.

Side note, maybe not be related, but for some reason, right before the crash, Discord kinda went haywire closing and reopening 2~5 times in 3 minutes, never seen that before.

5 Likes

This started for me after the hotfix last night that disabled currency transfers. The game client can chew through 32 gb of RAM and 8 gb of VRAM in about 5 minutes. I have tried every possible means to isolate the issue, but no luck sussing it out. It’s a memory leak of catastrophic proportions.

9 Likes

Same issue for me, on 2 different laptops. Same error message. Hopefully they fix whatever they broke. Restarting battlenet seems to have worked so far.

3 Likes

If there was a patch this morning, it did not fix the issue. Logged in today and still experiencing massive RAM usage spikes x)

9 Likes

Its still occurring for me after this last maintenance. It would be nice if someone at Blizz would at least acknowledge there is a problem.

4 Likes

i had that happen to me too

4 Likes

Same here, except this is the first time it’s happened to me. But it’s right after Maintenace this am. Just hanging in Stormwind buying enhancements, etc. for my DH.

4 Likes

Same issue, numerous times since the update.
Disabled all addons, turned off all background apps and clients, and still getting the low memory usage alert. First time this has happened to me in 15+ years of playing WoW.

3 Likes

Makes me wonder if they tried to patch it & made it worse…

5 Likes

also had this error for the first time ever…

anyone seen them post about it yet?

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Can only hope they know about this issue and will fix it soon.

4 Likes

Yup, I just had it take down my entire system too. I see the client version is still 56110, so it looks like the maintenance was just to disable currency transfers for whatever reason. The wait for a fix goes on…

2 Likes

This is scary. Like I am not even going to bother logging into WoW at all today.

1 Like

It feels they moved the WoW franchise from Blizzard to Bethesda - the first weeks of Starfield were similar…

1 Like

I was having this issue yesterday and today. So I might have to stop playing altogether until there is a fix, because mine also bricks my entire PC.

1 Like

Did anyone else with this issue try reinstalling the game and experience/not experience the issue anymore? I’m tempted to try it, I just don’t wanna go through the headache if it’s not gonna make a difference.

1 Like

For anyone using Linux, earlyoom kills WoW before it freezes the system and triggers before the kernel oomkiller. This also confirms the crashes come from wow and not our hardware.

https://github.com/rfjakob/earlyoom

After installation you need to run the service.

systemctl enable earlyoom.service

7 Likes