Melee hunter

Is it viable at all to PvP with a SV/BM build . Focusing on melee attacks pet damage and Aspect of the Monkey?
Assuming I could get some good melee weapons…

2 Likes

No, you would be gimping yourself hard.

20 Likes

No… melee is stuff a hunter uses when there is no options to shoot, its things you do as you pass a wingclipped enemy etc, but it will allways be inferior to your ranged skills…

Now, as for the survival tree, it actually passes MM hunters, with late raid gear in classic, due to the sole bonus of the extra 15% agility, by stacking agility, buffs like kings etc, you will get more attackpower and crit out of raw agility, since hunters gain 2ap a agility…

One of the reasons hunters lost 2ap a agility, was that it made agility stacking just better then anything since you with kings gets 25% extra agility…

i cant remember exactly when but look at the sets and possible enchants, buffs etc, and you can get a idea…

MM will allways be viable since the buff is really really good…

5 Likes

Full melee? You will die.

Melee/ranged hybrid might be possible IF DONE RIGHT.

But focus agility and stamina still. You need loads of dodge and parry, while maintaining good ranged dmg. EVERYTHING will eat you if you melee only except for MM hunters. Try the hybrid of it. Keep to ranged but not afraid to get into the fray when forced to. Always focus on getting back to kiting and ranging them and using your defenses for survival. Let pet doa bulk dmg and stack stam to outlast.

If you rely on pet dmg YOU NEED 2/2 IMP PET MEND. and tbh full BM is prob better melee due to BW having pet immune to CC. then nabbing that hp bonus and the rooting stuff along with deter.

AND DO NOT TOUCH STRENGTH. Agil gives you same amount of AP as a hunter only gets 1 per strength where every other melee gets 2AP.

1 Like

To an extent.

There is a 21/27/3 build I’ve seen used effectively if you’re looking to go BM. You are wasting a lot of points to get to Intimidation in the BM tree for the extra 3 sec stun. This will cause you to lose a lot of damage and survivability too.

Melee. Ugh. People have tried to make this work. It just doesn’t.

2 Likes

exactly. And I melee’d a LOT in vanilla, thing was I always Melee’d MM hunters cus it screws them over if you’re not fully built MM like them. But if it’s anything else, focus ranged and have the defenses built for dealing with melee rather than staying in it.

1 Like

Unfortunately “melee hunter” isn’t really a thing in Classic. However in my opinion you have the better option where you can do a bit of both and weave melee in between ranged when making distance etc.

If you really wanted to do a melee hunter thing (and bear in mind you would be severely impacting your viability) you could always use a strong weapon with a really good “on-hit” ability and fish for it with Wing Clip.
Would work best if you were Horde and had a Shaman that could drop WF totem for you.

Other than that, stick to ranged. Or if you really want melee maybe give Warriors a try.

I was a melee Hunter. I thought I was going to surprise everyone and be the guy that made it work. I’m sure you know how that turned out

11 Likes

PVE no but PVP yeah you can deff clown bad players with nothing but melee.

Want to know how to make it work?

Only fight MM hunters and have BW.

I was VERY WELL known for killing my own class cus most hunters were MM and I always did that.

Surprisingly melee hunters have more of a place in PvP than in PvE, especially for Alliance.
Apparently on private servers at least, a lot of people replaced bringing an Enhancement Shaman with Nightfall for a Hunter instead.
The Hunter would basically just stand there using Wing Clip over and over as it gave them higher uptime on the Nightfall debuff ~21% instead of ~17%.

Well yeah I don’t really count that as melee hunter. Spamming rank 1 of spell that does 20 dmg to apply a debuff is a support role not a damage role.

5 Likes

That’s fair enough. Ultimately though PvE Classic just doesn’t have all that many true dps classes. Warrior + Rogue for melee, Mage + Warlock for caster, and Hunter for ranged.

Every other class plays as their utility role or has a fringe use IF there are spots and debuff slots available.

Hunter and Warlock may seem like “true dps classes,” but they’re not. They’re pet classes that add utility and not very much damage. You’ll find them on the DPS meter under the 5-6 warriors, 6 rogues, and 8 mages. Hunters especially scale terribly in end game. Warlocks may get some love if Shadow Weaving is allowed to be applied and they can get some HoTs from a Druid while they tap, but pretty much their only source of damage in raiding “Causes a High Amount of Threat,” so unless the tank is going deep, you’ll still be standing around.

In PvP a melee focused hunter would not be a good idea. In PvE, for raiding hunters can effectively wield a two-handed axe called Nightfall which increases all spell damage taken against a target by 15% for 5 seconds.

Bleh lame.

1 Like

Meme it up…in PvP…

1 Like

You’re a hunter.
???

That likes melee.

2 Likes

Hunters did not melee until survival got completely reworked recently. Melee hunters didn’t exist prior period. So you’re rolling the wrong class.

Edit: Other than getting close enough to wing clip, which you don’t do too often at 60.

Also, you can’t forget that if you decide you want to try it anyways, you cannot use any of your other abilities while in melee range. back then if a target was too close, your ranged abilities could not be used.

5 Likes