Melee DPS is harder than ranged. /duck

Oh please,don’t give them any ideas like that.geesh. I’ll give you an example how long my shield hold up in pve content on consumption’s aoe two hits and you’ll have to wait for cd to use it again if you mana doesn’t run out.

Yup,not going there.

As someone who plays both, it is much easier to play a mage competently than say, this DK or a paladin. I still like both, or want to like both, I just resign myself to dying more often and generally being a cut beneath when I go melee. Almost every death I’ve suffered as melee in LFR would have been preventable or a non-issue as ranged. Like walking up to the boss/following/dpsing and just getting one shot, by definition that would never happen as ranged.

1 Like

This is about range Vs melee, not spec Vs spec. A good example would be bm hunter. It practically plays like a melee spec but with 40yd range.
No casts, free movement, physical based spec.

You could play bm hunter in melee (and sometimes do for stack mechanics) but you almost always stand out at range because it’s easier to avoid the dangers of being near a boss.

And BTW, it’s not that hard to play multiple specs or classes well. It’s not a super difficult game. Plenty of people will play multiple spec or classes up to the highest difficulties (mythic raids, keys over 20). They’re not bad players because they have special UIs or addons, don’t be silly.

2 Likes

Your answer has nothing to do with what I said.

What I said is a general thing about confounding things into one broad category that does not represent its members.

Melee and ranged is a broad consideration that really says little about its members. And what you say just illustrates how so.

as an MM hunter most of my damage comes from aimed shot, a stationary long cast ability. bm hunters i think are pretty much instant everything? I dont really do bm though so i dont know.

Lots of move or die stuff for range, which again means my heavy hitter is out of action, its not uncommon for me to start aimed shot then have to move just before it finishes causing me to lose the entire cast and the following movement time, can be 5 or 6 seconds of greatly reduced dps.

what you said about the vision and having to sit inside the blob and try to find targets though - totally agree and that is the single reason i dont progress on my melee. I quite enjoy arms warrior and if it was easier to see where i am relative to the blob of all the things, I’d play it more. It would be my alt, not my horde mm hunter

A few? They have one cast timer total if you exclude pet revive which should never be needed unless you PVP. BM hunters are hands down the easiest class to play because you have no cast timers and play range.

1 Like

People think melee is harder because melee players are usually potatoes with access to the internet.

The unga bunga meme ain’t just something that came outta nowhere, it’s literally melee classes. That’s why the moment a mechanic has any detriment to them they lose their mind because they just are to incompetent to handle moving out of melee range.

Truth hurts :man_shrugging:

Bonus 1: Hunters are basically long range melee, literally the most basic and simple class to play.

Bonus 2: UH I consider the exception to the melee unga bunga rule, purely based on them having similar problems demo has, just in melee.

1 Like

This isn’t even a controversial thread because ranged is factually easier than melee. It’s not even remotely close.

2 Likes

What melee can do:

Move while DPS’ing (Hunter is excluded here for range)
No cast times
Not punished for movement fights
More mobility especially gap closers
Not punished for using CDs at any moment
Can train players in PvP while as range you cant get out
Can’t be interrupted for casting spells
Little ramp up time which most range specs needs even target swapping
MOST melee specs actually require less buttons for their rotation

You play a Rogue and you want to say something is easier, lmao what

Wait hunters are ranged ohhh so what about the hybrid classes :slight_smile:

Melee is definitely easier than ranged in some aspects and ranged is much easier than melee in others.

Most melee mechanics are “don’t get hit by x” and “run out when y happens”

I mean painsmith alone is a perfect example.

Traps versus chains traps are easier hands down.

Usually I levitate in dungeons to see how long I last hovering. Casting comfortably while the melee do most of the job for me.

Good job, keep at it! :eyes:

I could be any class and you’d still type the same thing. Ranged simply has less / way more forgiving mechanics than melee do; even more so if you look at dungeon content. Just because you’re a green parsing hero doesn’t mean that ranged isn’t easier. I’ve mained an SP, Destro/Demo, and Ele at points over the years and it’s literally drooling on the keyboard in comparison.

1 Like

If ranged is so great then why are there so many people who play melee? You’re completely discounting the power of instant casts and extreme mobility that most melee classes have.

Shadowlands made this even worse with covenant spells. I started as melee but had to switch to ranged for this very reason.

1 Like

I have a max level character in each class(well, almost - monk and priest are at 54) so believe me when I say that you are absolutely correct. It is almost criminal how much easier ranged feels than melee. At least you’re a rogue though, you have some nice escape ability even though they removed feint awhile ago. Warrior has zero escape ability AND picks up most aggro after the tank dies or just loses aggro.

2 Likes

Rogue is one of the easiest classes overall to play including all the cheese utility they have. My parse literally mean nothing here, I came back just little over a month ago and playing catch up. Didn’t play Sham much in CN. Go play Shadow Priest right now and tell me how it’s not hectic. Elemental Sham when playing the talents you SHOULD be playing and tell me how it’s not super busy.