Megathread: Ogres as Playable Allied race

While doing Ogri’la dailies, I happen to be in the area where an Ogri’la storyteller shares three brief stories, which are moreso to reinforce the notion of peace between them along with enlightenment. You can see the stories here:

Given that enlightenment is one of their goals, it’s a reason I feel like the Ogri’la Ogres wouldn’t be too interested in the faction war, especially since they are working with the nearby Sha’tari Skyguard to help protect their vision of heaven. Still, becoming King of the Ogres in that area is pretty neat, even if I can’t command the two clans of Ogres there to get on that character creation screen on the Horde side. Maybe someday I’ll figure something out…

On another note, I actually purchased the Official WoW Cookbook, since a few recipes looked really good and I’m a total nerd. One of the recipes is for “Ogri’la Chicken Fingers.” As it turns out, someone did a video showing how to make them:

Chicken strips/tenders are one of my favorite foods and apparently Ogres like them too, which makes them that much more awesome. I figured I’d share this for fun while talking about the Ogri’la Ogres. :chicken:

Dream big, Ogre fans! :japanese_ogre:

6 Likes

I wanted to remind myself about the Gorian Ogres that came to Draenor with the Mag’har, as it has been awhile since I did the Mag’har Orc unlock scenario. Turns out that the Ogres we dealt with there are the alternate universe Stonemaul Clan Ogres and Wowpedia has a section on them:

Not sure why I didn’t remember this at all, but let’s fix this with an analysis!

According to this link, they were part of the Gorian Empire before we ended up crushing them. The AU Stonemaul leader wanted to side with Yrel while other members of the clan were still loyal to the Mag’har, still called the Stonemaul Clan, while the other part became the Kor’gall Clan.

So the Ogres that came with us, if I understand correctly, are AU Stonemaul Clan who are still loyal allies to the Mag’har. Kinda neat that even in alternate universes, the Stonemaul Clan still joins with some version of the Horde. They’re just that awesome!

So, technically, they were Gorian Ogres, but looking at this information, it seems as if the right term is just the AU Stonemaul. Based on what I read, I don’t really see them leaving the Horde at all, and instead joining the Horde with the Mag’har at the end of the Mag’har Orc unlock scenario.

So, what’s the best way of explaining where they went during BfA? In my opinion, since they’re AU Stonemaul, they could have gone to join our universe’s Stonemaul Clan and help them with…whatever is going on in Dustwallow Marsh or Feralas. Then you could just make the Stonemaul the playable Ogre faction, with a line of text somewhere explaining some of the Ogres are AU ones. You can also put the Dunemaul as part of it also, unless Megs is hoarding them for herself as NPC guards or something. At least we’d have the Stonemaul Clan, though!

Just something interesting I found that I wanted to share. Kinda feels good to find some stuff on the Draenor Ogres that came with the Mag’har. A shame they missed out on the fighting in BfA, but hopefully they’ll pop up to help out the Horde in the near future, along with our universe’s Stonemaul Clan!

3 Likes

Yay ogres! I wouldn’t play them, but I give my wholehearted support to adding them for those who would

5 Likes

I would be very interested in knowing if you still plan on doing some sort of ogre march/parade as was done with Vulpera?

2 Likes

all for it.
female option tho?

2 Likes

For a female option, they could use the rig of the big female mother blood trolls currently in Nazmir, the rig is their, Blizzard literally just has to slap ogre customisations and bam, female option is done minimum effort.

6 Likes

DOWN. 100% DOWN.
best idea ever blizz pls

3 Likes

I’m still interested in doing in-game events and photo shoots involving Ogres as well as Saurok, since they are my most wanted races to be playable. Free time hasn’t been too kind to me lately, mostly because of college, and the next expansion coming soon will likely keep everyone busy.

For those wondering, many posts ago in this megathread, I talked about the idea of doing an in-game event with people having Ogre illusions on and marching through Orgrimmar, pretending to be Stonemaul Ogres who were wanting to become full members of the Horde, as well as people just marching with us in general to show support for playable Horde Ogres. A planned event that people in the area could join in on the fun while we do it.

I had planned to do it during a previous summer, but there were two main reasons I didn’t really get to. Things coming up IRL keeping me from being able to plan and form the event at a specific time was the main reason. The other is that noone really showed any interest in doing it when I tried to gauge interest in this megathread. While I didn’t expect it to be a huge event like the Vulpera’s Foxtober events, having noone really interested in it and no real way to advertise it outside this megathread caused me to rethink doing it until another time.

It’s certainly something I’d like to do at some point, though I’m unsure when would be the best time for it and I don’t want to make promises unless I’m sure I can keep them. It also depends if people would be interested in joining in on the event as well. Again, I wouldn’t expect it to be a huge thing at all, but one on the small side to take some fun screenshots to share and a fun and memorable event.

I am also looking into different ways to show support for my most wanted playable races, so hopefully I can figure something out to take playable Horde Ogre support to the next level. It has been pretty great to see support for Horde Ogres is still there on the forums in general, and I still plan to march for playable Horde Ogres as best as I can.

1 Like

Hah I’m pretty much in the same boat but I get ya. I’ll try to keep an eye open if anything comes up! I also have almost all of the old loot card toys, I could make a pretty big party out of it heh

1 Like

Yeah, I just don’t see them being Paladins. Night Elves aren’t angry yet they can’t be Paladins. Monks aren’t angry but they can’t be Paladins. Same thing with Vulpera, Gnomes, Kul Tirans, Trolls. Ogres are kind of a greedy race and Paladins do not fit the criteria.

Yeah, don’t see this as a thing neither.

Honestly made more since than the Goblins to be honest. Since some of the Goblins are in the Alliance, why would they be a Horde race? You have both working in both faction. Yeah yeah, different Goblins.

I agree with this maybe 90%. As long as the Paladin, and lion mount are not there then it would make more sense. I just don’t see the two being for the Orges. Lions are a symbolism for the Alliance and Kings. It’s a reason why they got the lion mount from being exalted with a guild. Als the Paladin just doesn’t make sense. If they can become Paladins, so can Night Elves, Kul Tirans, Trolls, and Gnomes.

But yeah Blizz make this race a thing! Add the Orges.

1 Like

love the idea. Probably never happen, due to the expense, since i doubt a new pc ogre animation rig would be cheap, but its nice to dream. Has my vote.

2 Likes

It should be a good price for them since they’re putting a lot of big things into the game. It’s just coming up with a female model…

2 Likes

At least for the male Ogres, they already have a working Ogre model, mostly because they share the same skeleton with some of the Druid moonkin forms, with many animations, such as dancing and riding mounts, already a part of it. They just need to work with it to add in customization options, armor graphics, and other animations it currently doesn’t have and it would work fine as a player character skeleton. It’s mostly the female model that would need some work from the ground up, but it’s not like they need to build both male and female Ogres from the ground up.

In fact, if you want to see what animations the male Ogre has, you can click here to load a 3D model viewer from Wowhead and play with the different animations they have in game:

If the link doesn’t automatically load it for you, just look for the red “View in 3D” button in the top right area of the webpage. I think I have it set to use the model from Beta, but in the top left of the regular web page, you can switch between Live, PTR, and beta versions of the model.

1 Like

Yea, there is a lot of content already there, which helps a lot. I just don’t know the difference between what an NPC animation rig needs, vs. a PC one, other than more polish, perhaps? the biggest issue is probably armor. Making previous sets fit, strikes me as a lot of work, which means money.

1 Like

Has anyone seen a female ogre model thats decent? I think thats the only thing holding them back

1 Like

Pretty much. Honestly they should just make a female doesn’t matter if she looks pretty or not. Orc females don’t look pretty to be honest.

1 Like

Blizzard has recently announced that Blizzcon will take place online on February 19-20 of next year:

Much as I hope to see Horde Ogre stuff appear there, given what is going on in Shadowlands in general, I feel like the chances may be low. Still, if I see anything of interest there, I’ll be sure to report it.

2 Likes

I would just like them to say “hey we are not going to ever do ogres.” If they won’t ever do it I want them badly but at this point I hate hoping.

2 Likes

The problem with them doing that to any race is that it more than likely will rub people the wrong way. Not to mention that things can always change in the future. In a business point-of-view, it would be better for them to just be silent on the issue as opposed to cheesing off people and losing customers.

Any reason they give, assuming they give one, would certainly get picked apart by people and would more than likely cause a huge kerfuffle of a backlash. I really don’t see any good to just ever say “(insert race here) will never be playable because (insert reason here).”

Speaking for myself, I wouldn’t be too happy if they actually did state that Ogres would never be playable to the point where I’d likely consider just outright quitting and moving on. Even if it wouldn’t be a huge amount of people doing that, it’s still lost revenue and a damaged perception of the brand. It’s why I see no practical reason in doing that with any race in the game.

I haven’t lost faith for playable Horde Ogres, especially considering I’ve been wanting them since BC. I’ll always keep a spot in reserve for if they ever become playable and keep supporting them to be playable as best as I can. Hopefully we’ll see it someday.

4 Likes

Gordok Ogres could be a cool playable race, they do come around with their beer during Brewfest! But Stonemaul would definitely be a must in my opinion. Light I just want Ogres so badly. Blizzard please D:

5 Likes