Megathread: Ogres as Playable Allied race

That is about how I imagined the Ogres in Pantheon when I first saw them. ^^

I have the same toy as well, but maybe someday we’ll have the real thing and not need toys to be Ogres. I was thinking of using this during my Ogre Summer Party/March idea I was toying with this Summer. Still need to work out details if it could work, so unsure if it’ll actually happen or not. ^^;

Indeed, which is why I’m worried that the Horde Ogres may end up being forgotten again. They really haven’t done much since Cataclysm, aside from an emissary of the Stonemaul Clan on Pandaria. I’m thinking of typing up a general list of loose threads in Horde Ogre storylines, though I need to go through Feralas as Horde again to refresh my memory.

I’m happy someone enjoys them, as I do put in a lot of work. Especially the scenarios I typed up. I intend to gradually do more and space them out, with reasonable time having passed between posts. They are fun to work on. ^^;

I’m thinking Rexxar is someone to keep an eye on when looking up datamine stuff. I feel like he is a potential key for introducing playable Ogres.

All we can do is speculate and play the waiting game. x- x

2 Likes

Yes, good race for horde.

3 Likes

I’d be surprised and disappointed if Rexxar didn’t call them.
I mean…why wouldn’t he?

3 Likes

Either he would just plain forget or…

Spoilers

…he would be sulking about not wanting to work with Jaina possibly, given the Baine rescue attempt.

As I mentioned before, probably in another thread, the Horde really does need allies to help if the rumors of a coup are going to come true…and I don’t mean the Alliance. <- <;

Getting more races into the Horde, allied or core, will just help out in the long run. Between an army of Ogres to the rumors of Vulpera, who would be ferocious in battle, and Gilblins, who can launch attacks from water and likely utilize sea giants and the lobster guys in their group, it’s looking like it’ll be a heck of a battle to dethrone Sylvanas if it comes to that. We’ll just have to see where the story goes, and if the coup rumors come true. ^^;

2 Likes

So I wanted to type about what Rexxar says when Baine is taken away:

“There are others who must hear of this, (player name). And they will.”

I am going to take this to mean people outside of the Horde, as everyone more or less knows about how Sylvanas is going insane with her own ambition. So since this is Rexxar saying this, and he doesn’t have much to do coming up as far as we know, then who could he mean?

Now, do I think that saying is specifically the Stonemaul Clan only? Probably not. Would I think that the Stonemaul Clan would be one of the “others” Rexxar mentioned? Then yes, I would.

Considering that Rexxar has ties to the Stonemaul clan, the Stonemaul clan has done quite a bit to repay the Horde while also already being part of the Horde, and would very much follow Rexxar into saving the Horde, I don’t really see why Rexxar wouldn’t go to talk to them about what is going on and get them to help. If anything, they would be in danger if a Horde civil war broke out and could have been forced to serve Sylvanas or even Dustwallow being blighted so they cause no problems.

The best case scenario for us is that Rexxar heads back to Dustwallow to talk to Tharg, Orhan Ogreblade (shes part of the Feralas questline and is commanding the Stonemaul Ogres there), and the Stonemaul clan in general, and let them know what is going on while promising to keep them updated on if Siege of Orgimmar 2 becomes a thing. Honestly, I could see Sylvanas wanting to take over Orgimmar, with Undercity gone, and another siege occurring.

Likely if we players have anything to do with it, we’d be sent to Dustwallow to see what is going on. Before that, lets talk about Feralas some. Feralas is…well, as it turns out, mostly done. According to Wowpedia, in the Traveler book series, the Gordunni in Dire Maul get taken over by a human as a king (bleh) who gets them out of Dire Maul entirely and sends them off to places. Now, they’re suppose to have a presence in Feralas still, but not in Dire Maul specifically. Likely any Horde and Alliance forces would be limited, given the war in BfA areas, so whatever is left of the Alliance would be fighting the Stonemaul and Horde for territory and likely Dire Maul.

We could argue that an emergency in Dustwallow is occurring with raids of the dragonkin getting stronger and raiding Brackenwall Village, causing Orhan Ogreblade and the Stonemaul ins Feralas to come back to Dustwallow. After all, it sounds like not all of Onyxia’s brood was destroyed. We, as players, could be sent there to help the Stonemaul clan get their original village officially back and build a Horde base there.

This would serve a few purposes. The most important one is that this brings back the Stonemaul clan into the story, gives the Horde more assets in the coup attempt, and leads the Stonemaul clan into becoming playable. The other is that Sylvanas likely doesn’t really care about the Stonemaul at the moment, and until things start heating up, Dustwallow works as a meeting place to plan out coup operations.

Loyalty and willingness to help should not be a problem. At the end of the Stonemaul questline in Feralas, we see the Ogres shouting “For da Horde!” We also know how much the Horde has done for the Stonemaul clan, and that the clan owes A LOT to the Horde. They know what it is like to lose a home, and they don’t want to lose their home in the Horde, let alone seeing others lose their home. They have pride in being Horde, and want to help give back in anyway possible.

This of course leads into what to do with the Dunemaul and Gorian Ogres. Honestly, the simplest thing with the Gorian Ogres is to just have them join the Stonemaul clan. It’s easy, explains where they went, and not much else has to be done with them. As for the Dunemaul, if they even make an appearance, Megs can appear at coup meetings and let it be known that she has her Dunemaul to assist the operations. Believe me when I say that I like having multiple Ogre clans in the Horde, but at the very least, the Stonemaul clan fits almost perfectly in the current storyline.

Likely this would mean that playable Ogres, be it as a core or allied race, would consist of the Stonemaul clan. It might work better in the long run, and not make their story too complicated.

Whew, thats enough rambling for now. I’ll have to rethink a few things regarding loose story threads and the Stonemaul clan specifically, if we introduce them as the playable Ogre clan.

Whatever the case, I hope that the Ogres of the Stonemaul clan make an appearance to help any coup or siege attempts. Likely, doing so will help them becoming official Horde members and, with any luck, playable.

3 Likes

So it has been awhile, and posting may soon become a bit sparse thanks to finals preparation. That said, I wanted to type up some loose storyline threads involving the Horde Ogres.

What is the Stonemaul Clan doing currently?

The Stonemaul clan has not really been that active since Cataclysm, and kind of Pandaria. The last we really have heard of them is an emissary, named Or’Dac, of their clan being sent to Pandaria. Sadly, this NPC was just a jobber for an Alliance quest, I think a daily, so what he was up to there is…unknown really.

The Stonemaul Clan in Feralas, at the end of their questline, is said by Orhan Ogreblade to just be mustering up Horde forces to help defend Horde territory against the Alliance. If the Gordunni have completely left Dire Maul, according to the Traveler book series, then likely anyone there would be having skirmishes against the Alliance and whatever Gordunni are still in Feralas. Now, I don’t know the timing of the Traveler books, but the other questline occurred during Cataclysm, so what is going on now needs to be addressed.

This leads us to Dustwallow Marsh. At the end of the questline involving the Stonemaul, we destroy most of Onyxia’s eggs, kill off a lot of the dragonkin mobs, and after running off the corrupt warchief, the Stonemaul clan can finally…umm…err…sit in their makeshift village and continue wanting their own village back…

This to me is one of the biggest loose threads. Just why haven’t they gone back to the Stonemaul ruins and taken it back? If I were to answer this question, I’d have it where there are constant battles between the dragonkin mobs and the Stonemaul clan, leading to a stalemate, with the dragonkin raids becoming more numerous and more powerful. Likely, they might be on their own here since the Horde has been very busy.

I mean, we dealt with Garrosh’s shenanigans on Pandaria, had to fight off the Iron Horde in WoD, then had to fight off a whole legion of demons in…err…Legion. Now we got into a huge war with the Alliance, lost Undercity, and now it’s looking like a coup may occur in the very near future. And yet, the Stonemaul Clan don’t appear.

So I just scratch my head in thinking about what exactly they’re doing during all this time. Considering how much they owe the Horde, you’d think someone would remember them and ask them to pull out of Feralas and spare who they could in Dustwallow to help against the Legion. They were working with the Alliance during this time period, for that matter, and the world’s fate was at stake. Multiple times, even.

Did any of Onyxia’s eggs survive?

During the Dustwallow questline, although we destroy a bunch of eggs, and if I recall correctly, it was implied that not all the eggs were destroyed. After all, the quest asks us to destroy a small handful of eggs. I would be surprised if some of the eggs did not get taken and hidden away to safely raise elsewhere. This storyline could be used as a reason why the Stonemaul have not been able to reclaim their home.

What happened to Mok’Morokk?

At the end of the Stonemaul Clan Dustwallow questline, we run off Mok’Morokk. Not kill, but run off. We have not heard from him since. If I were to guess, he may have ran off to rather off his own clan, of whatever creatures he could beat up, and get some form of power again. I don’t see him joining the dragonkin mobs, and I would hope he wouldn’t just join them as that wouldn’t make for good writing. His whereabouts should be addressed and taken care of.

What is Megs Dreadshredder doing with the Dunemaul?

At the end of the Dunemaul questline in Tanaris, Megs is sending the Dunemaul clan off to “help the Horde.” Whether this is actually helping the Horde or herself can be very much debated, but since then…we haven’t really seen what happened to the Dunemaul. In fact, I don’t think Megs has done very much since then either, and that was also during Cataclysm.

Another thing to note is that during the Legion invasions, if one occured in Tanaris, the Dunemaul would get enslaved, granted the player character could rescue some of them. Honestly, I don’t really view this as canon, and even if it was, it doesn’t explain what it is they were sent off to do. Addressing this storyline would be best done involving the Stonemaul clan, as it helps add some flavor to playable Ogres of some sort.

What happened to the AU Draenor Ogres that came with the Mag’Har Orcs?

We know a group of them came with the Mag’Har Orcs, and as I’ve mentioned before, they haven’t really made any appearance of any sort during BfA. Even if it shows that only a few Ogres came, only a small group of the Mag’Har was shown in their unlock questline, and theres enough of the Mag’Har to adventure and control a lot of creatures from Draenor in the fight against the Alliance.

Because of that, it can be assumed that a reasonable amount did come, and I doubt they just waddled off to make their own huts or caves to just survive in the wilderness and to have whatever meager power they would have on their own. The best case scenario is to either have them form their own Gorian clan and be a part of the Horde, or just simply outright join the Stonemaul clan and still be a part of the Horde.

Whew, that was quite a bit of typing. That is all the loose threads I can think of right now. If I remember anything in particular, I will be sure to post it here.

That said, it’d be easy to tie these loose ends together when making Ogres playable, and could make for a great storyline if done properly. ^^

4 Likes

I’m Alliance but i need Ogres for the Horde please Blizzard… Ogres Core race and Mok’nathal Allied race :). I’m still waiting for the ogres pls!

5 Likes

I like that idea. Ogres as a core race and the Mok’nathal as their allied race variant. Best of both worlds for those that want them, and they wouldn’t cancel each other out. ^^

2 Likes

So a bit of a flawed idea, but previously I mentioned the idea of a march in Orgimmar as part of an Ogre event I was considering doing in July. It’s far from perfect, and I wouldn’t expect a huge turnout, but I figured I would type out what I had thought of.

I had the idea of a “Stonemaul Clan March” in Orgimmar, where I would have a character that would act as an Ogre member of the Stonemaul Clan, announcing a march around the city while stating what all the Stonemaul had gone through and how they want to become full members of the Horde in order to repay their debt back to the Horde during the march.

Said march would involve about two laps through Orgimmar, where people would use Ogre illusion items and such to pretend to be Stonemaul Ogres while anyone else can just join in the march as themselves to show support. A small group of Ogre fans can start it and anyone interested in marching can join in at any point. This idea came from when I was in Orgimmar, and someone started a conga line march of people on the mammoth mount. It actually ended up being a long line and lasted quite a bit as they marched in Orgimmar.

The march would likely end in front of Grommash Hold, where the warchief resides in Orgimmar, and I did had the idea of ending off with an in-character pleading for the Stonemaul clan to officially be recognized as full members of the Horde and to assist the Horde with current events. It’s not like Sylvanas would just get irritated and blight us, but I figured it would be a fun way to end off the march.

Of course, one of the problems is that Ogre illusion items are limited in availability, aside from the Korvork illusion toy, and even then, they likely wouldn’t last the whole event. Plus, it might be confusing to see an Orc character acting like hes a Stonemaul Ogre.

Furthermore, I don’t want to be disruptive to the area. Shouting in-character Stonemaul clan related stuff would be occasional during the march, so as to not spam the chat. Also, I’d want the event to be both fun and be seen as a request for playable Ogres, which is a different posture of demanding Ogres to be playable.

As stated before, it is far from perfect and I wouldn’t expect a huge turnout for such an event. Likely, it could confuse those in the area as we engage in it. I’m open to suggestions and feedback to anyone that might be interested in organizing such an event, as well as completely different ideas for an Ogre-themed event or party similar to the Vulpera’s Foxtober event.

It remains to be seen if an Ogre event will actually happen. Right now, I’m just wanting to float the idea out and think up ideas in general, but for those interested, I would like to hear ideas and such. ^^

100%

I don’t know all the tunes yet. But hasn’t been Thrall been chilling with his OG Frost Wolves in Alter Draenor? He could easily bring them into the fold.

2 Likes

AU Draenor was, within lore, closed off after the events of WoD. It was reopened during the unlock questline for the Mag’Har allied race, and then was closed off afterwards.

The Frostwolf clan in AU are just Mag’har Orcs, who are officially part of the Horde and playable now, while the Frostwolf clan in WoW’s timeline are regular, green Orcs that serve as the Horde PvP faction in Alterac, from what I remember.

What Thrall has been up to, to my knowledge, hasn’t really been explained much. As far as I know, he went home to be a family man. We might find out more in 8.2, since rumors of the Horde forming a coup against Sylvanas have been getting stronger.

There is the Mok’nathal clan in Outland, who consist of races other than Half-Ogre races, but they haven’t done a lot since they were introduced, if I recall correctly.

A march?
It was good for vulperas and sethraks!
And it can help ogres in particular for the people of Horde to suggest ogres as options for the player!

2 Likes

Was there a player event for Sethrak? I know of the Foxtober event for Vulpera, but I don’t recall hearing about one for the Sethrak specifically.

There was a where sethraks and vulperas attended together!
I think … you can tell that the sethraks appeared as “uninvited guests”! ^^

2 Likes

I’d race change this character to an ogre in a heartbeat.

Mar’gok was an interesting and underrated character.

2 Likes

Ah, I thought he was chilling with the OG frostwolves.

1 Like

Sounds like a fun event if it was planned with both parties. Wonder if any screenshots are around like with Foxtober. ^^

Honestly, I don’t know where Thrall went during/after Legion. I should keep an eye out on the 8.2 datamine info to see if anything is said about what he was up to. I’m also wanting to keep an eye out for Rexxar stuff in 8.2 and beyond, as that could lead to him rallying the Stonemaul clan similar to Warcraft III.

Well since the Elements Left him after Cheating in Mok’no’thra agonist Garriosh he has to find away to get his Power back…I kinda hope we find out he has been a Daemon Lord this whole time and we just didn’t know it…

1 Like

So while nothing Ogre specific has been in the datamining so far, to my knowledge, some interesting stuff has happened.

Blizzcon was officially announced to be November 1st and 2nd, which is…quite a long ways away. While I hope we don’t wait until then for allied race announcements of any kind, it’s likely we may get an announcement for the next expansion then. Needless to say, each time an expansion is announced, I do hope for playable Horde Ogres to finally be announced, but given that we are getting a bunch of allied races this expansion, it raises a question of if we would get any new races, core or allied, the next expansion.

I’ll be keeping an eye out at Blizzcon for any Ogre news, but due to college, won’t have the money to attend physically, a shame as I like that Orc Grunt statue, or digitially. I’ll have to rely on a liveblog of the WoW events. If I did get to go there personally, I would totally cosplay as a Stonemaul Ogre to help support playable Ogres, but such is life. x- x

On another note, some more new Brewfest icons have been datamined, and while nothing Ogre specific, I did see someone mention in another thread that a long time ago, there were Ogre icons added for some drinks to Brewfest. I don’t know when this occurred, but to my knowledge, the only Ogres present at Brewfest are the Gordok, which interestingly enough are related to the Gordunni clan, that sell to both Horde and Alliance.

If we ever found any brewfest icons that mention the Stonemaul clan specifically, it could be a cause to get excited. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe they have a presence at Brewfest at all.

At any rate, seems like we may have a long wait still, but as I said before, with any luck we’ll start seeing the Stonemaul Clan be part of the story soon to help the Horde out. As I typed in another post:

Tharg: Sumday me hopes ta be…part of ddaaaa wwwwwuuuurrrrrrlllldddddddd!

So in thinking about current WoW events, I thought about speculating about thoughts I’ve had regarding Dustwallow Marsh as a meeting place for any coup planning.

First things first, Sylvanas and Nathanos’ attitude to Ogres are likely to be disdain and annoyance. This is even assuming that Sylvanas knows of or remembers the Stonemaul Clan to begin with. Likely, there isn’t much in term of Horde activity in Dustwallow Marsh to want to keep an eye on it, let alone have any of her “loyal” subjects put there.

I also don’t see Sylvanas really wanting to utilize the Stonemaul Ogres for anything she particularly wants, unless there is still a battle for Dire Maul against the Alliance. As a result, I don’t expect her commanding them as mooks on her side if a coup did occur, nor would the Stonemaul clan ever willingly help her. It doesn’t fit them, and I doubt Sylvanas would want anything to do with Ogres other than expendable pawns. Besides, the Stonemaul Clan owes A LOT to the Horde, and what better way to pay back their debt and officially become full members of the Horde than by helping to save it?

Furthermore, with Rexxar’s connection, it makes some sense to both contact the Stonemaul Ogres and have a coup meeting where Sylvanas’ eyes aren’t around. If she wasn’t really aware of Baine’s Theramore meeting, aside from if players choose to rat Baine out, whats to stop collusion in another part of the swamp? I think her arrest with Baine is her hope that none will attempt any plotting behind her back. Not to mention that in either the current Stonemaul village or their original one, if it was retaken and restored, the Stonemaul would be trustworthy and make good guards in case any spying was found.

If we did see the Stonemaul clan make a return, I would likely view it as planting the seeds in the future as either an allied or core race. It would still be something of a wait for sure, but at least it would be something to make note of.

Here is hoping for them to make a reappearance and joining us in on any coup attempts. The Horde needs as many allies as it can get to be successful. Who knows what Sylvanas would do in such a situation?