Mega Servers Are The Problem

I know your thread is meant to be sarcastic after seeing your other threads but I’m replying anyway.

The truth is usually in the middle and it certainly is here.

I spent over a year, with a handful of others, posting about server issues and asking Blizzard to do something about the mega servers. Also calling out the players who went to them too. There was a point where it was like “Yep, I lost, we have some PVE server choice still and the PVP ones are… this”. Then it was like what do I want to do, stay with the guild of people I like who I’ve played with since Sept '19 or quit the game. The answer was the first one or I wouldn’t be here. I actually lost sleep over it but I stayed for the people and wouldn’t have otherwise.

Now here we are today, if Blizzard had locked the servers so they could have had a buffer for more people at Wrath release. Blizzard knew what their servers capacities were and they had to lock servers sooner or find a fix. My focus on the big picture about what actually mattered for the health of the game for so long was right on the mark.

Players wanted “fast groups”, and Blizzard ignored server issues for transfer money. This is what happened to the PVP servers and this is why 22 of them got closed when really only 10 or less should have been (such as Sul’thraze and Thalnos) had things were handled properly.

Other comment: I’m pretty sure Fla is actually being serious about the not caring about anyone else you play with which is like :roll_eyes: This game is really not that great without a solid guild etc IMO. So saying that this isn’t important is really out there and also self-centered thinking without really understanding why people do what they do, which well these things go together but that’s not good. The transfer advice is fine alone.

I’m not going to get into things that Blizzard already said no to and isn’t going to do. I wanted to say what I said.

lmao okay

keep inhaling that copium bruv.

PS: eso had server issues in pvp for a decade (probably still do)

This is half right. Collective guild migrations caused the fall of many servers and the growth of the biggest servers (especially Benediction and Faerlina, Grobbulus kind of has its own story).

The low mat cost isn’t the core of it. GMs rarely move guilds for a better economy unless the server is already almost dead. The top guilds wanting better recruitment prospects and others following is more correct though in the start of the snowballs of migrations, which I suppose could also be called selfish just not for the reason you listed.

There’s something to be said about faction balance issues too but this is another topic entirely really.

1 Like

The fact that it took my post history to make my sarcasm evident makes me worry about my ability to convey sarcasm. Or perhaps the internet has become too reliant on /s

Serious note: I’m aware that the blame isn’t completely on Blizzard. Both the player (paying consumer of a product) and Blizzard (provider/producer of paid product) have a share in the blame.

If you go to a steakhouse and order a medium steak, and it comes medium rare, which you can’t eat, you had a share of the blame for not ordering medium-well or well done to mitigate the risk that the paid service might not give you what you paid for.

Ultimately no one would fault you for putting the lion’s share of the blame on the party responsible for providing the thing you’re paying for, just because you didn’t overtly go out of your way to mitigate the risk of that party ruining the thing you were trying to pay them for.

Imagine if your friends all told you “Medium steak? Your fault!” when all you wanted was what you paid for.

1 Like

Grob’s case is doubly unique as it’s basically the only server left that isn’t 80-99.9% one faction.

And that one isn’t megaserver’s fault, its Blizz for not putting stricter faction balance controls on PvP servers back when this all started and people were saying “hey maybe consider faction queues.”

Haha yeah. Well, part of it is just that posters on here say a lot of crazy stuff seriously so it’s hard to really know for sure. I did see the sarcasm in your words though. The post history was proof. :wink:

You’re not wrong and people can complain about having to wait 12 hours or whatever to get on to play on the servers they were allowed to join with their guildmates/friends. It’s understandable why the complaints are here.

Blizzard shouldn’t have allowed the servers to get to where this could have happened. They themselves should have known about limitations (especially with some of us customers seemingly knowing that this could happen more than the company which really when you think about it is pretty crazy). We as customers should not expect to have issues even if we do choose to stack.

So I get what you’re saying. Hopefully, things get better for you and those you play with.

1 Like

Grob was a nightmare on launch day and for a bit after, People who came to grob Phase 3 and up, have no idea the maddness they avoided.

As for mega servers. It’s a really pick your posion. You want the massive pop with ques or you want a possibly small community / Dead server.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too, people saying Skyfury is dead. But there was a decent que on launch and I’ve yet had trouble finding groups or people. (Unless healers.)

1 Like

I already transferred off Faerlina, leaving behind people I’ve raided with since 2009.

In addition, real life friends took the free transfer off Faerlina to Sulfuras, and transfers were canceled and Sulfuras locked before I got back from a work trip.

So now I’m on Eranikus with my brother and literally no one else, all because we had the audacity to want a healthy gaming community between content patches, and are somehow to blame for Blizzard not managing their server populations.

Mega servers aren’t healthy. If you need several layers just to keep zones from being too overcrowded, it’s not healthy.

Yea I’d really hate to be an MMORPG trying to accommodate more than 30 people in a given area.
That seems unhealthy.

That sucks, and so does the rest of that post.

I did see earlier in the thread where you said you transferred but didn’t know if that part was serious.

Anyway, you did what you had to do for yourself, and personally, I think it’s ok if you’re mad.

From what I can tell you care about the guild from 2009 and your real-life friends going to Sulfuras. Caring about others is what mentally healthy people do, calling that “just being emotional” like the other poster did is absolutely not. Maybe they are actually mad too but don’t want to say it. Anyway, I respect your viewpoints on that all.

Edit: I just saw one of your (old?) guildies I think from UPSET in front of me at the flight patch on Faerlina, it made me think of you and come back to edit this. :frowning:

Your problem is your perception of servers that aren’t jam packed with 20k player queues. And it’s just your problem, not mine. Keep being stubborn and playing queue sim.

He just said he transferred off to Eranikus.

1 Like

I decided tonight, after babysitting my computer on and off waiting in a 7 hour queue ( I actually lived my life in the meantime, thank goodness the “estimated time” is at least fairly accurate). If I have to do this again tomorrow, I just won’t come back.
There are tons of other games to play and a so many other things to do than be treated like my time isn’t important. Its important to me, and this is ridiculous. Games are supposed to be fun? right? Hearing about the cheaters too, this is all becoming a bit much.

1 Like

Well, that was a good read. Not sure how so many people missed the sarcasm, but I found it to be an excellent way to highlight the problem (not to mention good for a few laughs).

2 Likes

I second this

2 Likes

Dude how is this going over people’s heads?

you really just have to put a /s for people I guess

1 Like

In a world that looks satirical any way you slice it, sarcasm really becomes hard to detect.

If you cited most of the commonly-held societal beliefs as fact to someone who lived a decade ago, they’d laugh at the joke they thought you were making.

We live in a world where people can’t discern absurdity and sarcasm from reality, and the reality they can’t differentiate from absurd sarcasm, they feel obliged to respond to and rebut.

Imagine if, 20 years ago, someone said “You must pay $15 a month for a game that you can’t play, and if you complain about not being able to play, you’ll be ridiculed”.

You’d surely assume the person who said that to you was joking.
And yet, here we are.
Living idiocracy.

1 Like

The sarcasm is missed because people on these forums talk in crazy ways all the time and a lot of the time they are totally serious.

1 Like

Sorry Lanceldot, we xfer to Faerlina with a Free Server transfer option because Kirtonos was getting shut down. They opened it up because of the # of active players, not the # of accounts on the server. THAT was on Blizzard, not the players.

In the process, we lost guildies/friends who decided to quit or use a paid transfer to go to Sulfuras where other guilds went too. Those people then PAID to xfer to Faerlina because Sulfuras was dying.

Provide a cross realm option for me to play with my guildies/friends/alliances I’ve made with others, and I’ll happily xfer off to whatever realm they provide as a Free Xfer option.

1 Like