MDT Controversy Needs to be Addressed by a Blue

Agreed… he did cause this mess because he lost his cool.

There are people out there that refuse to ask for help with finances. You know this.

True, but let’s keep in mind that this addon wasn’t something he was doing for the public. It was originally for his guild/friends. But since code for addons has to be public, that’s why it was released to the public. And then people started jumping on him about updates, etc, acting entitled to his addon and all of his time.

2 Likes

The creator of DBM did exactly that a few years back, politely asked for donations to help him continue to maintain the addon, and there was nowhere near the amount of backlash compared to the guy who monetized MDT after throwing a tantrum.

3 Likes

Which has also happened in the past and addon developers would then hand over development/maintenance of said addon over to other people then, not throw a tantrum and demand money instead. The licensing for the addon was even meant for doing exactly this. It’s not like this hasn’t happened before for addons, where the person maintaining/developing it doesn’t want to do it anymore or feels too pressured to keep it updated. But usually they just… step down and hand it over to someone else.

That dude just shot himself in the foot. Developing an addon is a matter of time and knowledge, it’s not super-secret arcane knowledge reserved for only the learned few. Sooner or later, someone will come out with an addon that is just as good - or better - and that’s going to be the new thing. Anyone remember Recount?

But look, supporting an addon creator is mostly a matter “do I like this person enough to give them money?”

As an example, there’s Adam - the fellow behind DBM and DBM Classic - is a chill dude with a Patreon and a fairly rough life situation, so he gets my support because I’ve gotten far more out of this addon for years than I’ve given back. It’s been free for years, and his troubles started when he could no longer afford to keep it up.

The thing he’s counting on is that many people use his addon that someone has to be willing to thank him with money. He’s basically the incredibly talented and hardworking street performer who has a hat out: everyone is free to enjoy his work, but paying him for it is optional. It is completely backwards of the usual contract model for goods and services: instead of paying for something then getting it, we get it then decide how much it’s worth to us.

It’s a bit like waiting tables, and nobody gives good tips to the waiter with a terrible attitude. I’ve seen the social media posts of that other guy, and I don’t care how smart or skilled he thinks he is, he’s not getting my money.

1 Like

Ummm Good for the author of DBM?

Meanwhile, my point still stands… there are people out there that won’t ask for help from others.

Well he got upset because people were giving him crap because instead of updating the mod he was instead doing the “World First Race”.

Yikes, glad I’m not a tank.

Glad I never bothered with add ons. Good luck with this mess.

1 Like

I’m tank and I don’t need to pay for anything.

Got weakaura alerting me to few stuff, and dbm telling me stuff too.

I thought MDT was mostly for routes and such.

Maybe I’m mistaken.

MDT is for routes yeah, I use that one too to check %.
Not paying for anything tho.

Neat addon, helped me find good route for De other side for pridefuls.

Oh hey, A mvp that’s wrong. That’s certainly a first

How does it feel being so wrong?

3 Likes

I don’t know why he didn’t just hand over development to someone else then. It’s not uncommon at all to do if you’re making WoW addons, some people just get bored of the game and quit or don’t want to maintain addons anymore, it happens.

Their pride is their problem.

It’s one thing to ask for money, it’s another to demand it.

Adam has a Patreon, the Weak Auras team has a Patreon, Luxthos has a Patreon… they develop good stuff, and those who have the inclination and means to support them on a monthly basis will do so.

All they have to do is ask.

1 Like

What exactly are we paying for? I’m using DBM, weakaura and MDT, not paying anything.
Am I missing something?

1 Like

Between this behavior, and the… Other Drama Involving Minors that we can’t even talk about of the forums, I am beginning to think everything to do with Method is just Awful People.

6 Likes

Since I don’t have the addon, can someone answer some questions?

From my understanding on the situation, it seems the author is selling data on routes for the dungeons?

Can you still create your own routes with the addon without paying anything?

Wrong about what?

Yeah you can.