MDT Controversy Needs to be Addressed by a Blue

Other way around. WoW doesn’t own a third-party program.

We still would, people have different tastes.

True. But if those third party applications use IPA that they don’t own… they can’t profit from that.

There is nothing wrong with getting money for the creation of the app. There is something wrong for paywalling it when you don’t own the data.

2 Likes

I guess it’s a good thing I don’t use add-ons then…

1 Like

I can see it now. guilds and Mythic + groups, must be subscribed $$$ to 3 different addons. sounds like aids

1 Like

They’re not programs.

They’re in game addons.

And the rules explicitly state that you’re not allowed to charge for them.

2 Likes

They’re not charging you to use the add-on, but the collection of data from the add-on correct?

In this case, the free part is a shell that’s completely useless without the NPC data(that he doesn’t own) that he’s withholding for pay.

There’s also no way to add it yourself.

Thus, the problem.

Without NPC data, the addon is useless.

Its a bad precedent, but its not new is it? Hasn’t Zygor been around for literally years and years selling his leveling addon?

If Blizzard rules that they can’t do it with MDT it wouldn’t surprise me if Zygor is next just on technicality.

technically you can use Zygor without paying for it. It’s just near useless. The thing is though, I don’t think it’s Blizzard’s data they use to make the guides, which are the part you’re charged for.

I wouldn’t pay for a leveling guide myself, regardless of how “good” it is. Not like leveling in this game’s hard.

1 Like

I can’t use MDT because I don’t support rapists, and those that harbor and protect rapists and abusers. Certainly can’t help them make money after those types of behavior.

:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

How? People have been using add-ons for free for years with the mod authors hoping that people donate.

When you’re really good at something, you don’t do it for free.

this isnt new, other addons have tried to charge in the past, they find themselves "brokeand their core function integrated into the base game pretty quick.

1 Like

You must not play any games that allow you to do this.

I can see why authors would want to make money off their own hard work instead of depending on the ‘charity’ of faceless freeloaders.

Add-on developers are prohibited from charging for ‘premium features’ under any circumstance. They don’t always come down on it right away, but if big names are doing it then it shouldn’t take long for Blizz to hear about it.

1 Like

Okay, fine, call it whatever you wish. The point I made was not inaccurate, even if my terminology isn’t “correct”.

Blizz could just completely ban all add-ons if they wanted to; the add-on developers who are doing this are more like free-loaders than the users; plus I doubt its the primary source of income for most if not all of them.

1 Like

I am not calling it what ever I wish that is what the man child made his program/app on HE AGREED TO THAT…

It is totally INACCURATE

Not even close

If you want reliable income, get a job.

Personally, I can’t afford to pay anyone anything and they knew they werent supposed to be charging when they started.

You want paid go wait for Overwolf to fork out the ad revenue, put a patreon link on your download page, or whatever. Don’t go blocking functionality out because you had a tantrum when someone asked you to update it.

2 Likes