Maw of the Maw Torghast boss - WTH

Tried this in a 5 man group… it was impossible,ost all 15 deaths to him alone.

This scaling is insane

4 Likes

I managed to solo this as a ilvl 146 frost mage.

My armaments weren’t amazing as a whole, but I did have maw rat explosion (Bloating Fodder, Common ability) x2. and the one that spawns maw rats when casting conjure refreshments (Alluring Cheese, Uncommon armaments)

Both of these were purchased from the vendor, and they seem to show up fairly regularly. Most of my other armaments aren’t amazing. I had double hp thanks to Secret Spices, and My mirror images were impowered, but I never got below half hp and my mirror images did very little dmg.

As for the fight. I casted Conjure refreshments in the same spot until they started despawning (about 10 casts of it) Then I started the fight, I put up barrier, casted 2 frost bolts and an icelance before the boss got close just to clear my icicles (so they wouldn’t cleave to the mawrats yet). Then cast 4 frostbolts and stop casting. I’d ignore brainfreeze proc too, until the boss got into range of ALL mawrats, then I’d really start the fight.

My opener at this point was Icy veins, alter time, bloodlust, venthir ability, and then i’d start my dps. My icicles and/or shatter combo would burst the mawrats and then I’d be able to start truly dpsing. I stood still until my alter time procced which would heal me for whatever damage he did to me while i stood still and bursted. Then I’d nova blink away.

I would kite until he put gunk on me again, and then barrier again, rune of power, and mirror image, which would give me a few more seconds of uninterrupted dps. (note: he will mostly ignore mirror images after the first few seconds, so be ready to blink again)

I was able to keep this up until he died. My mawrat explosion from the beginning did 40% of his health pool, so that helped, but I’m pretty sure I could have done at least another 20% before I died.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey ya’ll! Just soloed him on my 167 fire mage… night fae cov.
Here’s the details… had the anima power that increases timewarp by 300% and then you die at the end… so after four tries I got him figured out. twas able to combust several times and threw everything at him. Had to use altered time strategically to keep me going. No blinking, no jumping. Had the 30% increase to stats buff as well.

But the thing that saved my hide was the 5oul-Trap (engineering item) … right at the diciest moment when he ate all my powers (I laid the trap before the fight) he stuck himself into the trap and i was able to get my cooldowns back and when he popped out i was able to finish him off.

I agree he’s way overtuned! but with some tenacity and strategy I managed to get him!

Also… ps Fire Juggler is the most fun I’ve ever had playing this toon.

Good luck and keep hunting!

2 Likes

the Maw of the Maw spawns babies wdym

but yeah it’s all just AOE/stun/interrupt work, pop CDs only when the first batch of babies pop

The attacks hit less and occur less once the 8 blobs are up, it’s only the transition of 1 to 4 that is awful

When I played Maw of the Maw it didn’t spawn babies. It mainly took away your armaments (very quickly, I might add).

I was able to kill him in one go given incredibly lucky rolls and 3 smoke bombs (160 ilvl shadow priest, Venthyr), but I can see why it would be virtually impossible in other situations.

We ran into this as a 3 man group and it seemed pretty insane tbh. Fire Mage, MM Hunter, and Resto Shaman. It had 1.3 million hp, and quickly gained too much speed from the stacking buff to be able to kite. It was meleeing for 4k or so, the aoe damage of 5-6k, the armor aoe thing as well.

All of that could be managed I supposed, but the hp value seemed absurd. I feel like Fire Mage and Hunter anima powers are pretty awful in general so I’m sure that contributes to some degree compared to some of the damage potential I’ve seen on other classes/specs.

I got him pretty easily on my lock. IDK. I just had a pure dmg build. I had more problems with synod.

Got Maw of the Maw on Layer 3 today. Quite literally impossible for us as its uninterruptable armor drain hit for 6k+ and gunk hit for 5k+. With no long term heals we had less than 40 seconds per pull to kill it or die.

This! Torghast is a total crap shoot and its really frustrating.

When I got to this boss I had +10% to damage from Hunter’s Mark, a 30% 5 minute damage potion, a 37% agility stack, 90% Kill Command damage and 168% health from Mawrats stacks. Then the final door guardian, drops an Anima Power that takes 50% off any elite enemy (including Boss) with the first hit. Every Anima power I got was a good one and I can’t imagine a better build. So it was absolutely trivial for me purely due to the Anima powers. Boss was dead in under 30 secs

In the other wing I got to the final boss with a load of junk powers like 4 sec Disengage buff, exploding mawrats, a couple of stacks of kill shot damage and Aspect of the Cheetah buff. Almost nothing that gave me an increase to damage output. I knew before I even pulled that it would be near impossible and lost all 5 lives without getting close.

Sure there’s some level of skill involved, but it seems to be 90% luck of the draw with the Anima powers you get…

2 Likes

The end boss is random in its selection but the bosses themselves are set it stone in their mechanics.

If you lose a wing and restart the end boss will be different. I failed the Layer 3 Mortregar HARD this week then went back and it was a super easy boss the second time.

my 158 Demo ate him like he was jello?

My guildie and I duod to the top of Mortregar earlier, and got the boss Goxul the Devourer.

We lost because it did more AoE damage than we had the means to heal (Hunter and Mage). My pet was tankiung the boss fine, but its AOE damage just killed us.

They really need to re-tune these bosses. :confused:

2 Likes

I think thats who i had. Aoe damage plus another attack that looked like grabbing hands. I couldnt beat him. I kept dying and it wasnt even close with 166 ilvl

He’s impossible without a pet and being a ranged class.

I don’t think blizz understands roguelikes.

5 Likes

I almost died. He’s stunnable and interuptable but I think I picked up an anima that healed me so I guess I lucked out.

1 shot with 2000% Arcane Blast while invisible ability.

4 Likes

i did this as a bear with a rogue friend and at like 8 stacks he was 3-4 shotting her with his aoe and i had good anima powers and so did she and i know i played this boss to the best of my ability used everytthing i could and it didnt matter he still killed us. I love hard bosses as much as anyone else but i dont like to be punished when i do everything right.

3 Likes

No. There are two different oozes in Torghast. One spawns babies. Maw of the Maw does not.

You’re thinking about this one:
https://www.wowhead.com/npc=156015/writhing-soulmass

I had some serious luck i think, i got a anima power against elites, i hit him for 178k my first hit then it was smooth sailing from there.

1 Like