Mature Language Filter and Social Contract

I don’t know how old you are, by which I mean no offence, but when I was growing up, they were the stereotypical buzz killers and softies. “No, no, no, you can’t say that, it’s so offensive, you’ll corrupt the mind of our youth!” etc. It feels like we have completed the horseshoe, and now the same people who were pushing the buttons of the old farts back in the 80s and 90s have become old farts themselves and repeating the same sentiment.

2 Likes

Buddy pal chum chummy bro pally pal pal friend,

When you get to the point where you are no longer able to enjoy a game or a movie because of intangible things like whether or not it’s too “woke” or “inclusive”, that you begin to perceive a videogame of all things as having some kind of agenda behind it, rather than just enjoying the game or the movie and moving on with your day, THAT is the point where you yourself have become radicalized, friendly friend chummy chum pal friend

11 Likes

Bad worgen.

Bad.

squirts with spray bottle

1 Like

No, that’s a very common misconception.
This is from Oxford languages: “early 16th century: of Germanic origin (compare Swedish dialect focka and Dutch dialect fokkelen ); possibly from an Indo-European root meaning ‘strike’, shared by Latin pugnus ‘fist’.”

I would put some links, but they all contain the word, and, well…
Just Google f*** etymology and you’ll get a bunch of hits.

1 Like

I’m afraid a spray bottle won’t be enough. This calls for the big guns.

3 Likes

No, they are not agreeing to see profanity.

You agreed to the rules that state you will not use profanity or masked profanity in Blizzard games. The filter is there because some people don’t follow the rules they agreed to. Parents have the option for using it as do others, but that does not give anyone the right to break the rules. Spotlight on: Harassment

Mature Language Filter (aka The Profanity Filter)

• This can be activated within your Interface Options: Main menu (ESC key by default) Click Interface > Social and check - Mature Language Filter.

• Once enabled, all inappropriate words in our profanity database will be filtered and masked to appear as jumbled characters, such as ‘*##@&’.

Note: The filter does not excuse the language used. The filter serves as a temporary shield, to help parents of minors and others who do not wish to see it, to block it. Our policies prohibit the use of both clear and masked inappropriate language

This goes back to 2004.

Imgur

8 Likes

Wait a for profit company is making a product for profit? SHOCKED FACE

I feel like the OP needs to break out how this impinges his 1st amendment rights.

5 Likes

Unless you know your group very well (a good guild, familiar friends, etc.), just be safe for yourself and refrain from using profanity.

Do I find bans a little excessive over basic swearing? Yes, I do. But that is what we agreed to upon entering the world.

1 Like

You must not visit the forums much.

Gaetz
tRump
Can Cun Cruz
Mark Foley
Dennis Hastert
Roy Moore
^^ Republicans, since 2019^^

How ignorant of me.

3 Likes

context means more than the exact words being used.

There is definitely a disconnect.

There is a rule.

A person breaks the rule.

They get punished.

Someone else having the mature filter on/off is irrelevant.

6 Likes

You agreed not to use offensive language. You then chose to break that agreement. Thus you faced the consequences of said actions.

Seems to be working as intended, that’s not a sign of bad customer service, but rather good customer service.

You do know that Microsoft has the exact same language in the ToS/Eula for their online games right?

6 Likes

Thing is, nobody knows where it came from. The ideas that “dEbUnK” the acronyms (which did exist so…), don’t debunk it. They’re just other projections of where it originated.

All in all: no one actually knows, and we will most likely, never know. So, w/e.

Swearing is not the issues, context is.
Players and Devs need to understand this.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter what you’re all for.

Onky matters what Blizzard is all for.

2 Likes

True, but it’s irresponsible for Blizz to only ban one group of offenders and not the others. So, if I can’t say the cuss word of poop…then the idiots spamming hate can’t spew hate speech.

1 Like

It does matter what a customer base thinks, study marketing and business LOL

I’ve definitely seen people banned for hate speech?