Mature Language Filter and Social Contract

What is the purpose of the language filter when player’s turn it off, and then report a player for swearing? This is counter-intuitive, and frankly, a shortcoming of the automation that suspends you for receiving reports that don’t fit the criteria for a suspension or a ban.

Bannable offenses, as defined by the contract, cover hate speech, harassment, threats, and spamming. The automated system does not differentiate between these serious issues and basic swearing.

This game’s customer support has been a hot mess since Cataclysm, and continues to be as such today. Every attempt to submit feedback in-game, which the help article even states you may do, is met with pages upon pages upon pages of useless articles that either don’t pertain to the situation, or are just things we already know.

Hopefully under Microsoft, we can get some human eyes on these issues, and start getting this all sorted out.

There’s zero reason we shouldn’t be able to contact support in-game.
There’s zero reason we should be directed to WoWHead for our issues as well, but that’s a topic for another thread.

20 Likes

Because there’s a difference between what some people may consider acceptable in friend groups and/or guild chat and what is considered acceptable in public channels.

19 Likes

The mature language filter is on by default.

By disabling that filter, they are agreeing to seeing “adult” words. That’s on the player reading the chat, not the player talking in chat. Why is there such a disconnect there and a failure to recognize this by the majority of the playerbase?

19 Likes

I answered your question already. There is no disconnect.

If I turn it off, I’m ok with seeing it in private channels with friends.

That doesn’t mean I care to see strangers junking up public channels with it.

19 Likes

There is a disconnect, clearly. I’m all for people speaking how they wish to, within the confines of the social contract.

If you turn that toggle off, then you’ve agreed to see it. Plain and simple. C’mon now.

12 Likes

this seems like a non-issue

7 Likes

Say something without knowing or caring about your audience, pay the price.

What I say in guild chat would never reach /say or a public channel.

You do you.

9 Likes

Been playing this game since it released, and been suspended like twice. Been seeing the most horrific garbage in /trade with the right-winger racism and endless homophobia and then I say during a BG how fighing a premade was a “f-ing mess” and I get suspened for that. Seriously? But, I could be some political spammer about how minorities are this or that and that never gets punished. Same losers on there EVERY DAY, saying the same hate speech.

I can’t say one, commonly used word.

14 Likes

That’s what I’m sayin’! It’s ridiculous.

3 Likes

It’s like those busybody neighbors who call the police whenever somebody’s kids are at the park without their parents.

7 Likes

And that fact doesn’t give you carte blanche to say whatever nonsense percolates in your head.

12 Likes

source

20 Likes

Somebody should tell Blizzard they’d better get rid of that obscenely-labeled “WTF” folder in the game directory, then.

4 Likes

Warcraft Text File

:stuck_out_tongue:

I looked this up before lol

4 Likes

Why The Fuss?

1 Like

Now you’re just making excuses.

2 Likes

Did you break a nail grasping that straw?

7 Likes

There’s always going to be a spectrum that people disagree and agree with, and “the line” will be drawn differently by people. Some people get offended easier than others. So I believe it really comes down to the situation, who is involved, which GM sees the report, what was said, etc.

Either way, I believe in the prospect of being a good person and not harassing people. We should all be mature and strive to be nice to people in-game!

4 Likes

The mature language isn’t an excuse to swear, it’s a final defense against people who don’t want to see cuss words.

15 Likes

Crazy, right? People be acting like this concept is some kind of voodoo.

3 Likes