Massive stutters with DF client

I tried lowering the graphics to see if there was any change but there wasn’t, the game still stutters. An update on this would be nice, Blizz.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried WoW since I got a new PC, but the stuttering as described by the OP and most of those replying here was present on my old PC which was Windows 10. This reply, though appreciated, has not given me much confidence in the dev team. I have a hard time believing this is anything but a WoW being broken issue.

12 Likes

I am using nividia and both of my effected systems. But mine is windows 10, my kids is windows 7. Same stuttering issues. I dont think you guys fully understand this issue 3 months later sadly =(

5 Likes

I just tried playing an evoker and I had about 5-6 lock ups in a minute with textures and buildings popping back in when the game was done freaking out.

Win 10
16gb ram
1070 ti
512 gb Samsung 950 pro nvme m.2 ssd

1 Like

even on the lowest settings the problem still happens for me too, so sad

1 Like

I have had several FPS issues since Dragonflight launched, but I only notice them in DF zones. Since I got a 4090 (not for WoW, before anyone points out that im stupid) and saw no FPS improvements whatsoever and it just confirmed that in my case the low FPS was because of CPU (I’m running a 9700kf with 5.0GHz OC).

That stuttering people are talking about in this topic just happened to me for the first time while I was playing one of my alts, and my god its impossible to play like that. I dont really know what changed for it to start happening and after a while it just went away and everything is normal again (but still low FPS in DF zones)

Now randomly I’m getting artifacts on the load screen. a bar at the top and a bar at the bottom (both about 2 inches from the edge of the monitor. completely up to date everything. everything cleaned and dusted. this is getting worse. this is the only game it happens on.

I had no issues prior to the most recent maintenance shutdown, ever since I’ve been getting horrible graphics stuttering

I used to be able to play with graphics settings up high with no issue, now get huge stuttering and FPS drops even with graphics turned down as low as possible

WoW is the only game I experience this with

An official response would be great here, this is unplayable, I was enjoying DF so far but if this is how it is going to be from now on I can’t see myself staying subbed

7 Likes

This won’t likely help too many of you, but if any of you are playing with ray-traced shadows, try disabling them to see if it makes the experience any smoother.

I was playing around with ray-traced shadows some more this week and I found that they can cause massive stutter when turning the camera, especially in areas like Valdrakken. With RT shadows, I would drop as low as ~25-30 FPS when snapping the camera really quickly, but without RT shadows it maintains ~65-70 FPS. The difference in fluidity is massive.

Ray-traced shadows are just incredibly demanding, both on CPU and on GPU. In my case, with a 5800X3D and a 4090 at 5120x1440 with 200% render scale, those RT shadows were still CPU-bottlenecked. In fact, RT shadows often made me more CPU-bottlenecked because of the high overhead in running them.

RT shadows IMO are more of a novelty at the moment, until when/if the CPU overhead in some areas can be more reasonably optimised. The stutter that they cause can be really nasty in some areas, regardless of hardware or resolution.

It would be really nice if blizzard would update the massive amount of people suffering these problems so we don’t start thinking this expac was just a money grab

2 Likes

For me with a 5950x/3090/32Gb system at 1440p, enabling or disabling RT does nothing to remove the annoying stutters caused by new assets/players being loaded in.

To add to this, even on 4090/13900k or 7950x/7900xtx systems putting every setting to low/off in WoW and Nvidia/AMD panel does NOTHING when it comes to the stuttering, pop-ins and longer loading times.

6 Likes

I’m sorry how is uninstalling an addon manager a viable solution. You cannot play wow without addons

Its not. Try playing without sound see if that works. Mainly sound effects or all sounds.

2 Likes

Still no update multiple threads bumping this thread again

I think there is just too much going on in the new Zones. Dragon Riding , races. I can go into Zandalar and Run a Dungeon and it Runs smooth no Stutter what so ever and in the new Zones in Dragon flight its just… There is hardly no traffic in Org , Dalaran. Taking a flight and landing in Valdrakken is just crazy the Stutter is bad , my FPS is set to 120 and barely drops in Val but stutters. I will probably run some old content because while it isn’t game breaking it is annoying too annoying for me to enjoy the gameplay.

2 Likes

The game got issues whenever players are involved, but I also get microstutters (but obviously high fps) running solo even in Vanilla raids.

6 Likes

Happy holidays everyone! Blizzard do you have a nice present for us? Maybe a fix? =)

7 Likes

Negative. It’s Grinchy Blizzard all the way this year! Merry Stuttermas everyone!! :tada::christmas_tree::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Yea, but look at all the cool stuff activision has for sale!