Massive stutters with DF client

That 5.0Ghz is for purely single core operations, with no other cores doing anything. As soon as you get to using around four to six threads, it drops down by a lot.

Not all game engines are created equally. MMOs are brutal on the main game thread and that’s only a single core. Doesn’t matter how many cores you throw at the client, the delta between a low end and a high end single core isn’t as wide as you’d think. For instance, a top of the line i9-13900K is only 80% faster than an i3-10100 in pure single core benchmarking… That’s the difference between a $700 USD processor vs a $100 USD processor. But WoW isn’t a pure single core game, it uses multiple threads. So that delta would likely tighten up a little bit to something more like 30-50%.

How many cores/threads is your CPU? Oh wait, it doesn’t matter because WoW only uses around four total… Like I’ve said before, on a 4c/8t PC, with slider set to 10 and RT on, in places like Org, I’ll hover around 40-50% usage. Guess what that coincides with almost exactly? Up to four whole threads being used… So if your PC has say 16 threads total, it would show 20-25% usage, 32 threads total would show 10-13%, and so on.

The Windows scheduler shuffles the execution of code all over the place. Some complex single thread operation might execute steps of the code across every thread of the CPU before it finishes. It doesn’t just pick a single thread and stay there until it’s done, unless you manipulate it by changing core affinities like it’s 2005 again. So when you have a lot of other tasks going on in the background, even if your CPU usage isn’t high, it can still lead to clashes with game code being executed. Not to mention all the extra driver level interactions going on with something like a video playing in a browser, while trying to game.

I’ve never worked for Activision-Blizzard, nor will I probably ever. I’ve just been playing WoW for half my life and browse the forums while I’m working. My job consists of lots of waiting on things to bake, convert, compile, etc.

1 Like

+1 here. While it definitely didn’t happen in 9.x.x I can’t be sure if it started with 10.0.0 or 10.0.2. But yes, just another annoying bug to add to the DF bug heap.

1 Like

Yeah that’s one of the only times I actually stutter. Wouldn’t call it a freeze so much as a crapstorm of lag.

Cool story, excuse me a second while I scroll up to find a source where I asked.

5 Likes

Why are there still people like Pawg trying to figure this issue out from our end? This is clearly an issue with the game. I get stutters whether I’m running graphics at 1 or 10, and whether I’m by myself in a random part of the map or in Vald. I’m running half a dozen other modern games on ultra with 120+ FPS, and before pre-patch I ran WoW on ultra with no issues either. A game doesn’t go from flawless on ultra to terrible on lowest game settings with a patch unless they messed up.

This is really ruining an otherwise great xpac for me, and I’m surprised blizzard isn’t being more aggressive about this. My guess is that when the raid comes out in 3 days and people are finding out what this stutter looks like in a 25 man (i checked large bgs, I know) the complaints will skyrocket.

Stuttering while questing is one thing, ruining your raid on a 3k machine is another. Cmon blizzard, get on this and acknowledge your customers. This topic is a mega post here and EU forums.

13 Likes

Hmmm, wow isn’t maxing out any of my 16 threads. The most I’ve seen was peaking at around 70% on a single one.

I’m also playing at 60fps because my monitors are 60hz.

Most of what you are saying would make sense if this was an issue before DF release. Problem is, this wasn’t, something has changed something wasn’t optimized properly idk. If this was an hardware limitation lowering background processes, removing addons and such would have an impact, it doesn’t.

My 11700kf @ 4.6-4.9ghz on all cores and my RTX 2060 shouldn’t have an issue with 60hz 1080p at all. And I tested after formating pc, so no stuff like anti-virus, vpns, addons etc. The issue is not the gameplay itself its on specific conditions such as the star/end of dragonriding, flying/entering a different zone.

5 Likes

If seen wow max out 1 thread near 100% when i leave my headset on 7.1 and install radeon driver 22.11.2 which has full system freezes

Yeah, it’s not really that big of an issue at low FPS because 16.7ms frames are usually plenty enough time to handle and load things needed. At worst, you might drop to 30ms per frame for a few frames, if there’s a ton of stuff to load or compute. Stutters are felt a lot more when you’re playing at higher FPS and go from something like 120 down to 30 for a 1/4 second.

The recommended core requirements did go up with 10.0 from 4 to 6 physical cores. They definitely changed some things in the main game thread though. Probably some stalls while it waits on async tasks on the other threads to complete their work, instead of skipping them until the next frame. The problem is that WoW has always been one of those games where things like input latency are one of its biggest key pillars. That feeling of pressing an attack and it going off instantly vs a lot of other competitors where it feels like it takes a whole second to even start playing the animation. So the engine probably tries to guarantee latency on things like that.

Personally, since I figured out how to keep the clocks high on this RX 6600 PC, I haven’t had any stuttering issues and play on slider 10(drop range sliders to 8) and use ray tracing. I lock to 80fps 99% of the time, unless I’m around a dozen or two players or if I’m in zones or areas with ridiculous amounts of overdraw from foggy effects. But I don’t have any problems with stuttering at all this PC or my other PC that has a 1650 in it. Both are only on i3 10100s. And I’ve extensively tested them both with per frame monitoring.

All I want for Chistmas is for you to go away. I am tired of you downplaying peoples issues, trolling, being oblivious to obvious issues, and your paragraphs of nothingness.

Plz. Nobody wants you here, you are a distraction and about as dull as it gets. Just go away. You are not needed nor wanted. Zero credibility.

P.S. Pawgwalker and blizzard in this forum just seem…childish. It is like trying to get a 6 year old to be accountable for their actions. They deny, blame someone else or something else, and say it was not them when clearly it was. That is the best way I can explain “service” in this forum.

7 Likes

Trust me, when i’m constantly at 59-60 fps range (vsync) and it drops to low 50’s for a split second you feel it pretty well. It’s not even being at 50fps its the drop and bump back up that feels awful.

7 Likes

Thank you Trummel,

Disabling sound effects worked for me. Anyone getting micro stutters should try it.

I’m not a fan of playing without sound effects so hopefully a fix is in the works.

3 Likes

Yeah, I just ignore pawgwalker. If no one reads that dudes posts, then it’s like he’s gone even if he’s not.

As for Blizzard, their obstinacy can enjoy my lack of resub and my request for a dragonflight refund pretty soon here. Even tho shadowlands was kinda unfun, quality of the game has gone from 10/10 to 2/10 imo. And the consistently bad customer service and rude remarks from their employees won’t be inviting me to come back anytime soon.

I’d sooner play Pokemon violet than this crap.

1 Like

This thread isn’t about microstutters tho, it’s about bigger stutters and pop-ins, but glad it solves that for several people.

Thread title?

Yeah, MASSIVE stutters, not micro.

I thought it was also for asset pop in.

There is no shot that is what is going on. I’m running with a 13700k and having stutters if I put everything on the lowest setting. The only thing I’ve had work is disabling sound.

1 Like

This troll is just looking for anything other than the game itself and Blizzard to blame. Lowest/off settings, 33% resolution scale and even 1280x720 resolution doesn’t get rid of the big stutters when players and assets are popping in.

3 Likes

I notice that you work at a location that builds and tests custom PCs for customers. The argument that “it’s your PC that’s the problem” is totally nullified when the person has access to multiple systems all of varying combinations of hardware. If Blizzard were doing their job, they would have a lab of PCs and be able to see this issue across all of them. My guess is they have seen the issue, they know the issue, they know what is causing the problem but they don’t have a fix and/or an ETR.

2 Likes

All my friends have the same looking game as me. Which is to say, terrible. Missing assets. Stutters. For whatever reason I seem to get less of the stutters compared to all my friends except one of them. But it seems like my pop in is the worst or at least equal to everyone else’s