Massive stutters with DF client

No it litterally run windows hdr calibration tool you see difference with MPO on and off perhaps calibration only works thru MPO but if defiantly seen difference on desktop

Sound is done via cpu since pre patch wow supports 128 channels instead of 64 i think it used be 128 in past and got reduced to 64 probably for same reasons, but they really should just optimise cpu usage more, im seeing 1 of my cores max out but now i put my headset in 2.0 again with dolby atmos cpu usage is down probably cos at 5.1 or 7.1 it has to do way more processing
Perhaps my system freezes are cos of this but i doubt it if seen my gpu driver crash a lot of times now without system freezes
And wow.exe is in a deadlock probably causes deadlock in most cases gpu driver crashes.

I posted in this thread earlier. It ended up being something on my side.

My GPU melted into it’s PCIe slot.

Tested with MPO on and off, reboots inbetween, and there’s no difference. I could dig out my Canon EOS and take metered shots to verify, but that sounds like a lot of work. What version and build of Windows are you on and what GPU driver version? What bit is your display output set to? I think MPO+HDR only works with 8 or 10bit outputs, probably only 10bit for +HDR, and it will only work on your primary display. And I think all extra screens have to share the same bit output, so all 8s or 10s, etc.

Also, which calibration tool are you talking about? The SDR slider in the HDR section or the color management calibration tool? If you’re talking about the latter, then it doesn’t work with wide gamut profiles: https://imgur.com/a/LVo0gji (the warning message when you try to use it in HDR mode)

That is not hdr calibration tool

If you are using HDR mode and it’s actually working, your desktop will get a washed out look to it and will always be that way, since it’s in SDR space. The slider in that HDR tool is to balance your paper white point for SDR content. In almost all cases, it should remain at 50%, assuming you haven’t taken your monitor out of it’s native HDR profile mode with some specific set brightness(This monitor sets itself to 100% brightness in HDR mode, if I drop that by even 1 point, it takes it out of HDR mode and things revert, though it still stays in wide gamut mode). I tested that as well and it was no different with MPO on or off.

It sounds like you weren’t actually displaying in HDR before, if your colors weren’t washed out on the desktop.

my desktop does not wash out after calibration unless i disable MPO

This is the app you want to use to calibrate

Don’t exceed nits of your monitor and set blacks as low as it go’s till its fully black, same with nits till its perfectly white, then check mspaint rgb range if you see flat colors you set nits to high
After this you wont ever want to turn of HDR cos its no longer needed it will look the same as sdr but with aditional details in bright areas and dark areas as far your monitor is capable off

They were identical with and without MPO. Both went to the exact same values on the sliders as well, to reach the points of the colors blending into the patterns and both still had the same washed out look. I even tested rebooting, turning HDR on and off again and deleting all the saved profiles that the tool creates. But this is a wide gamut DCI-P3 monitor and not a standard srgb style one. Make sure your monitor is set to 10bit or higher on your GPU driver control panel. Otherwise, it goes into a weird 8bit dither mode that isn’t real HDR. Anyways, we’re way off topic here.

It is :smiley: if litterally seen my colors become richer in color as soon as i turned back MPO, disabling it does not fix issues it just resolves the blackscreens, it does not resolve the reason why the blackscreens happen, if you freeze with MPO you blackscreen if you freeze without MPO you freeze a bad gpu driver remains unstable after disabling MPO but may be stable on desktop, if given up i just went back to 22.3.1 if not tested long enough yet tho if i still deadlock my entire machine like in newer drivers.

Here’s another video, this time in Uldaman. Different alt, different zone, same story! Screen started freezing so I fired up recording.

No UI error at all this time.

And this is the FrameXML error that pops up sometimes as mentioned in previous posts.

Spoilers 118x FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua:27: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'offsetX' (a nil value) [string "@FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua"]:27: in function `GetRightActionBarWidth' [string "@FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua"]:53: in function `GetRightContainerAnchor' [string "@FrameXML/UIParent.lua"]:3091: in function `UIParentManageFramePositions' [string "@FrameXML/UIParent.lua"]:2570: in function [string "=[C]"]: in function `SetAttribute' [string "@FrameXML/UIParent.lua"]:3113: in function `UIParent_ManageFramePositions' [string "@FrameXML/EditModeManager.lua"]:604: in function `UpdateRightActionBarPositions' [string "@FrameXML/EditModeManager.lua"]:556: in function `UpdateActionBarLayout' [string "@FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua"]:655: in function `UpdateGridLayout' [string "@FrameXML/ActionButton.lua"]:368: in function `UpdateAction' [string "@FrameXML/ActionButton.lua"]:821: in function `OnEvent' [string "@FrameXML/ActionButton.lua"]:216: in function

Locals:
self =

{
GetSettingMapFromSettings = defined @FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua:58
IsRightAnchoredActionBar = defined @FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua:3
GetRightContainerAnchor = defined @FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua:52
IsBottomAnchoredActionBar = defined @FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua:8
GetRightActionBarWidth = defined @FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua:18
GetBottomActionBarHeight = defined @FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua:33
}
offset = 36.868329
point = nil
relativeTo = nil
relativePoint = nil
offsetX = nil
offsetY = nil
(*temporary) = 68.736660
(*temporary) = 45
(*temporary) = MultiBarLeft {
0 =
buttonPadding = 2
UpdateSystemSettingAlwaysShowButtons = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:772
UpdateMagnetismRegistration = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:506
GetSnapOffsets = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:411
UpdateFrameStrata = defined @FrameXML/ActionBar.lua:194
UpdateButtonArt = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:669
IsFrameAnchoredToMe = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:469
buttonTemplate = “MultiBar4ButtonTemplate”
ShowBase = defined =[C]:-1
IsShown = defined @FrameXML/ActionBar.lua:286
GetSelectionOffset = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:363
ResetToDefaultPosition = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:148
RefreshButtonArt = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:662
GetScaledSelectionSides = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:355
SelectSystem = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:534
buttonArtDirty = false
GetFrameMagneticEligibility = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:489
AddLayoutChildren = defined @SharedXML/LayoutFrame.lua:48
IsBelowFrame = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:322
UpdateSystemSettingIconSize = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:714
SetScaleBase = defined =[C]:-1
HasActiveChanges = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:244
GetScaledCenter = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:348
DoesSettingDisplayValueEqual = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:268
Layout = defined @SharedXML/LayoutFrame.lua:333
settingDisplayInfoMap =
{
}
addSystemIndexToName = true
IsLayoutFrame = defined @SharedXML/LayoutFrame.lua:36
DoesSettingValueEqual = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:263
MarkDirty = defined @SharedXML/LayoutFrame.lua:90
ShouldResetSettingsDialogAnchors = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:91
dirtySettings =
{
}
UpdateGridLayout = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:648
IsToTheLeftOfFrame = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:304
GetSettingsDialogAnchor = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:288
hasActiveChanges = false
OnSystemLoad = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:3
ClearFrameSnap = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:448
GetCombinedCenterOffset = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:398
SetupSettingsDialogAnchor = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:232
IsShownOverride = defined @FrameXML/ActionBar.lua:286
dirty = false
SetPointBase = defined =[C]:-1
UpdateSystem = defined @FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:586
CacheGridSettings =

Also want to chime in on another issue that reduces performance, and that has to be rendering distance. In every area specially on Dragon Isles, I can look straight into a cliffside and have 120fps, if I do a 180° into another cliffside the fps is 70. Please explain…

1 Like

Yeah AMD has been dealing with the crap that Nvidia dealt with for a year and a half when they flipped on MPO. Wonder how long it will take them to deal with it.

Culling, simulation and/or draw calls. Just because something isn’t visible, doesn’t mean it’s not contributing to CPU/GPU load. Not 100% sure where they handle their culling in the rendering pipeline, but if they do some kind of late z-pass, it would mean that things like skinning and shader work might have been updated, before being told what doesn’t need to actually render on the screen.

For example: You can see a mage’s arcane explosion go off from around a corner, even though they aren’t visible, right? When the particle emitter goes off, to play the animation, it has to be checked each frame to see if it’s in view of your frustum, in order to render as visible or not, and then be properly occluded by the wall. But at the same time, your PC is still simulating the effect so that when it does appear, it’s at the right point in the animation. For miscellaneous effects, like fiery bits on armor, the client doesn’t care where they are in the animation, so you’ll see them all start their animation from scratch usually, when they finally come into view.

So getting back to your question: There’s probably a lot of stuff going on in the direction that made your fps dip to 70.

1 Like

I would just stay on old drivers if you have old driver without MPO flicker use that or disable hardware acceleration, disabling MPO has more downsides then you think but its obvious the problem is 50% MPO 50% driver

Did you somehow get one of the 4090ti’s on accident?

I’ve noticed that my GPU spikes (I get temp spikes and the fan speed goes ape) even happen during cutscenes sometimes. It’s astounding that they haven’t addressed this…

1 Like

I am not seeing any difference with sound enabled or disabled either on my 3090/5950x PC

1 Like

Let us not forget just how condescending, rude, and unsympathetic pawgwalker has been throughout the first half of this thread.

And most importantly, WRONG you was. All your talk about us entitled customers and how everything was our fault really destroyed any credibility you have.

Take a big bite of that humble pie. Enjoy it…

7 Likes

So, is blizzard ever fixing their :poop:? Because i wont be renewing my sub if the game will stay on this god awful performance.

1 Like

Well said. Sadly lots of people are like that: as equally convinced of their superiority as they are convinced that everyone else is an idiot. Ironically that’s one of the biggest red flags of a very limited thought process (to put it as nicely as I can).

I did get a kick out of the tone change though, suddenly trying to save face and pretend like they were just here to be helpful all along… To their credit they finally admitted they were wrong, but the level of dedicated trolling that was done over the course of weeks is not easily forgiven for me.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone who posts in this thread and continues to do so. I won’t be remotely interested in trying DF until this is 100% fixed, if ever. I’ll be relying on you all to keep communicating here!!

4 Likes

Okay, so I just tried this and it completely fixed the stuttering for me. It even checks out, because I wasn’t having any problems with this before DF launched (I had sound turned off and was just listening to music/podcasts), and I couldn’t figure out why it started right when I got to the Dragon Isles. Has there been any more information on this?

Blizzard is pretty unsympathetic towards our render distance woes, which by the way most people are having at a worse quality than what we had in shadowlands. My computer is good but, I checked out the game of a friend last night with an extreeeemely high end beefy computer, and compared my game to his in the same location. He took a video for me to compare with my game. It’s pretty much almost the same pop in. Like every single asset, rock, bush, barrel, fire source, pole, and tree, popping in around the main gates of maruukai to give an example. On both of our PCs. Same. So I have visual evidence I’m not nuts with this. And this is also evidence that most people denying this is literally in denial or blind, which like… idk if you should be playing video games as a blind person, might want to stick to table top rpgs, but yeah anyway. It’s bad. And, on my pc, at night, in dragon isles, with color/depth 8x8 turned on? All of dragon isles shadows flicker. It’s insane. But you want to know a peculiar coincidence? In addition to switching color/depth 8x8 to 4x4, it can also be “fixed” by EITHER, reducing shadow quality to low, OR lowering all 3 view distance settings (which again are clearly broken themselves as you know) to 1-4. So obviously view distance deals with, you know, view distance. But shadow quality also has to do with view distance, on the shadows.

The shaders of this game is completely broken. And the fact that blizzard’s hotfix cvar bandaid “fix” for people’s stutters, has to do with shader cache? Big correlation. And, in addition to this, I have noticed that we now have some new sound options. One of which handles the distance at which you can hear sounds. And, people are now reporting that if you disable sounds, it helps with the stutters.

It’s obviously all connected. And the denial from people, especially blizzard, is absolutely insulting. Very, very, very rude behavior.

I mean, I would say we should start a new thread specifically for the view distance and or shadow problems? But look, if I put together all the things I’ve pointed out, I’m not even convinced here that all these are seperate issues. I really think they’re all related. I mean, the fact they all started to occur at the same time, RIGHT when prepatch “phase 1” dropped? Is just the cherry on top imo.

6 Likes